vision props SUCK!!

Reaction score
I put vision props (9443) on my 1.1.1 and it suuuucks. I don't have a gimbal yet but I'm not sure even that would help much. The video was nauseating to watch. Its bouncing and shaking all over the place. I dont think changing any settings will help but I guess I can try.

This is a huge let down because I was looking forward to longer flight times. Oh well. So, moving to another set of props, what else may increase flight time but has the stock like flight characteristics?

I uploaded the video: See halfway through or later for all the problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjQ2Tl ... e=youtu.be

HoverMan said:
I put vision props (9443) on my 1.1.1 and it suuuucks. I don't have a gimbal yet but I'm not sure even that would help much. The video was nauseating to watch. Its bouncing and shaking all over the place. I dont think changing any settings will help but I guess I can try.

This is a huge let down because I was looking forward to longer flight times. Oh well. So, moving to another set of props, what else may increase flight time but has the stock like flight characteristics?

i have the phantom 2 with zenmuse gimbal and it great

Where did you get your props? The real 9443s are custom designed and balanced for AP/AV and maximum flight time. But there are a lot of knockoff clones out there and those are not balanced at all. You can always balance them and they work great, but I haven't heard anything bad about the genuine 9443s before.

if it's just shakey then there's not a lot you can do without a gimbal to stabilize.
if the actual footage is wavy then try adjusting the frame rate on your camera
I noticed with my older gopro 30frames / second is super wavy, but 60 FPS is buttery smooth. The new gopro hero3+ has tons of options for frame rate.

blp said:
if it's just shakey then there's not a lot you can do without a gimbal to stabilize.
if the actual footage is wavy then try adjusting the frame rate on your camera
I noticed with my older gopro 30frames / second is super wavy, but 60 FPS is buttery smooth. The new gopro hero3+ has tons of options for frame rate.

I *really* want a gopro3 but I have a 2. Do you think 720 60fps would help?

ElGuano said:
Where did you get your props? The real 9443s are custom designed and balanced for AP/AV and maximum flight time. But there are a lot of knockoff clones out there and those are not balanced at all. You can always balance them and they work great, but I haven't heard anything bad about the genuine 9443s before.

I got them from Dronefly. I think they even have the little DJI logo. They seem nice and they fit right. I'm just so disappointed in the way the thing handles now. Twitchy and shaky.

I bought a set of aftermarket "Vision style" props and they took quite a bit of work to balance. First test flight and I and those with me were startled by the sound. They sound like a buzz saw on steroids. Tip flutter perhaps?

A set I tried from ebay almost cost me my entire kit. They look identical to the real props, have self-tightening nuts, and are basically indistinguishable. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they are quite a bit more flexible/thinner. Exactly the opposite of the properties most CF props have (stiffer). In theory this should provide a smoother ride for the camera, but less maneuverability. In practice it's a disaster; My P2V went up to about 100 feet before entering an uncontrollable occilation which ultimately got it inverted and heading toward the ground under power. Turns out it landed almost perfectly on the motor shafts which immediately shattered all 4 props, absorbing most of the energy. The rest of the craft didn't have a scratch on it - very fortunate outcome considering the disaterous potential. While I hate being shafeted by DJI, I will never buy another set of third-party props from chinabay.

varmint said:
A set I tried from ebay almost cost me my entire kit. They look identical to the real props, have self-tightening nuts, and are basically indistinguishable. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they are quite a bit more flexible/thinner. Exactly the opposite of the properties most CF props have (stiffer). In theory this should provide a smoother ride for the camera, but less maneuverability. In practice it's a disaster; My P2V went up to about 100 feet before entering an uncontrollable occilation which ultimately got it inverted and heading toward the ground under power. Turns out it landed almost perfectly on the motor shafts which immediately shattered all 4 props, absorbing most of the energy. The rest of the craft didn't have a scratch on it - very fortunate outcome considering the disaterous potential. While I hate being shafeted by DJI, I will never buy another set of third-party props from chinabay.

I hear ya man. If you can find some stiffer props that are good and possibly increase flight time too, let me know.

I have official vision props on my Phantom 1.1.1 and I am really pleased with them. My Phantom now is a little more "jumpy" but flys fine otherwise. I do however get a little jello now and then despite having an "ear plug" style vibration absorbing mount for my GoPro, but it happens very infrequently.

I guess I'll eventually get a prop balancer to sort this minor issue out, but for the moment it isn't really a problem for me. The extra 2+ minutes is great as I just like to FPV fly anyway.

Been searching the gain threads for a definite answer on gain adjustment.
Have my 9443 carbon props balanced and now trying to get the gains perfect.

Should I do the stock P2 gains of 120/120/120/120 Att 200/200?

Thanks for posting the video, that really helps show what you're talking about. A couple of notes:

1. Vision props are mostly an AP/AV slow fly prop. To get the most out of them, you have to fly very slowly and smoothly to get the most benefit.

2. You're flying without a gimbal, which a lot of folks do, but wind will definitely affect that greatly. The vision props are certainly more skittish in the wind, as they're both longer and wider, that's a lot more surface area to get blown about.

3. Your worst shaking is around 3:30 and 6:30, while you're descending. It looks like you're coming down pretty fast in each case, which is when 9" props are most unstable. I try to limit my descents to about 2m/s to minimize this.

4. I don't see any jello or high frequency vibration, just a lot of attitude adjustment from wind buffeting, so the props seem more or less balanced (it can be hard to tell on a video though).

You may be able to get some benefit from adjusting gains, but you really need stable flying in a less windy environment (and not an FPV view) to tell for sure.

gen3benz said:
Been searching the gain threads for a definite answer on gain adjustment.
Have my 9443 carbon props balanced and now trying to get the gains perfect.

Should I do the stock P2 gains of 120/120/120/120 Att 200/200?

Definitive answer is it's case by case, sadly. It's not just your props, but your payload, balance and AUW as well. FWIW, my Phantom goes between 1190 and 1260g depending on battery, and in either case I can run comfortably at 130-230 basic pitch/roll. Yaw and vertical don't matter as much, and ATTI gains mostly depend on your preferred stick input and style of flying (I run 80-100 on ATTI for slower, smoother video).

ElGuano said:
Definitive answer is it's case by case, sadly. It's not just your props, but your payload, balance and AUW as well. FWIW, my Phantom goes between 1190 and 1260g depending on battery, and in either case I can run comfortably at 130-230 basic pitch/roll. Yaw and vertical don't matter as much, and ATTI gains mostly depend on your preferred stick input and style of flying (I run 80-100 on ATTI for slower, smoother video).
Thanks EG! I will try some adjustments tomorrow morning....over some grass... :D

I fly both my V1.1.1s with Phantom 2 props and they fly perfectly. One is stripped down to just the quad the other is loaded with the Zenmuse/FPV/iOSD/BTU/2700MAH battery. Even the loaded phantom gets almost 12 minutes of flight time with the P2/Vision props. I tuned my gains a bit so it would fly perfectly, though it really wasn't bad with the stock gains.

Looks to me as if you were just trying to descend to quickly and were experiencing rotor wash. I can make my v1.1.1 do the same thing with the stock props if I try to come down at a high rate.

My vision props should be here this week. I'm itchin' to try them out.

U.M.

I would recommend not buying the props off of eBay or one of the many amazon sellers. You don't really know if you're getting the real dji ones or knockoffs. Buy from an authorized dji seller, or a place like B&H so you know they're legit. It may cost a few dollars more, but it's prob worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.