Vision Props on a V1 Phantom.

camelman said:
The genuine ones have the self tightening nuts on the so possibly not. I get to jello at all on mine however straight out of the packet.

So the nut is not removable? Can anyone verify that you can not remove the nut and balance the prop?

Phantom556 said:
camelman said:
The genuine ones have the self tightening nuts on the so possibly not. I get to jello at all on mine however straight out of the packet.

So the nut is not removable? Can anyone verify that you can not remove the nut and balance the prop?

No, you cannot remove the "nut". The threads are molded into the prop.

There are workarounds to balance them with varying degrees of success. You cannot use the typical method of balancing.

Phantom556 said:
camelman said:

The vision props have the nuts molded in like the phantom 1 props in the newer versions, i have the vision props here but not flown them, the positive thing about them is that only the tips are flexible, the rest is stiff, more like carbon, so this is different to the phantom 8 inch propellers. DJI offer the same Vision propellers as a tuning kit with motors etc. for bigger quads, i guess the vision props must be really good. Sadly the weather is bad here, always raining.

ElGuano said:
diomark said:
justsomeguy said:
The Chinese clones are starting to arrive. No need to replace motors on older Phantoms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261340030834?

Very interested in this. Has anyone gotten these and tested them?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I ordered them, should be here next week.

Almost ordered them, but it's just expensive enough that I'd love to hear your review first:)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PJA said:
Lowest Price I've seen for Vision Clone Props for early Phantoms...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291027413645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I wonder how good they really could be...

I'm sure the Carbon Fiber sets will drop in price soon... I'll try those on my Phantom when they do...

I find it funny that they are selling those for the PVision. No Visions were shipped with prop nuts, so only Phantoms can use them, unless the Vision owner were to buy some Phantom prop nuts.

You gotta love the Chinese, they don't need to know what it's for, just sell them cheaper!

I will add my results. Haven't flown as many batteries through the Phantom with the new props as others have, but my results are pretty much the same.

My setup
Phantom V1.3, naked except for carbon fiber anti vibe mount, without gopro holder. Firmware 4.02. Stock Phantom battery. Also worth mentioning, these are the eBay props, not official DJI.
I have been getting about 11-11:30 with the stock props. With a mix of slow flying around the yard, and aggressive flying at full speed in atti. With the new vision props, same type of flying, I got between 13:15 and 13:45 with three flights.
I am quite impressed with these things. They are now standard equipment on my Phantom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I bought these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271315359254?ss ... 1497.l2649

Took about two weeks to get them but they do come from China so doesn't matter. I have three flights on them. I don't think they are louder but I got an extra 3 minutes out of them flying naked, get your minds out of the gutter, no camera or extras,, and my Phantom seemed to be much more stable and responsive. All in all a good investment. Next is to put the GoPro on and fly and see what I get. My Phantom label says version 1.2 so they dropped right on. I have another Phantom awaiting the installation of my T-Motor 2214's and I think they will also make a difference on them.

diomark said:
Almost ordered them, but it's just expensive enough that I'd love to hear your review first:)

These are the ones I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261340030834

They arrived today. I had a very quick preliminary flight with them - not scientific unfortunately, but it was super cold and dark already outside when I got home.

Details: I was worried that the props might not be keyed. But they're 8mm and indeed keyed to the DJI motors so they slot in just fine. These are the non-self-tightening variety so you can use them with your 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.1.1, you just need the appropriate nuts for your motor threads.

These are the carbon fiber clones. I don't have genuine P2V plastic props so I'm afraid I can't offer a comparison. I don't even know if they're cloned great, OK, or not even close.

I haven't balanced them, or checked to see if they're balanced (fat chance).

All four CF props weigh 28 grams. That's 7g each. My 8" CF props weigh 21g (5.25g each). My 8" DJI plastic props weigh 26g. So I assume the CF props are lighter than the genuine P2V props.

b18sQhk.jpg

AUW: 1215g.
Battery: 4400mah 3S2P
Powered accessories: Tarot T-2D gimbal, 600mW vTX

Flight time with 8" carbon fiber props: 14 minutes 15 seconds
Battery drain: 80%.
NAZA Level 1 alarm at 12:07.
Voltage immediately after flight: 10.9v.
Voltage 5 minutes after flight: 11.0v

Flight time with 9" P2V carbon fiber props: 17 minutes 1 seconds
Battery drain: 82%.
NAZA Level 1 alarm at 13:30.
Voltage immediately after flight: 10.9v
Voltage 5 minutes after flight: 11.0v

Remarks: Whoa, nelly. Note that I haven't balanced these props or adjusted the gains yet. But this thing is like a bucking bronco. It flew backwards at me at takeoff, and when hovering it tends to drop 10 feet, stabilize, then fly up 8 feet. A minute later it'll fly up 10 feet, stabilize, and fly down 5 feet. Keeping it steady is playing a racing game.

I think my Phantom is uniquely and precisely balanced with its 8" CF props. It hovers well, and flies perfectly (no wobbles, no oscillations) at gain setting, 50%, 250%, and everything in between. That completely changed with the 9" props. I'll have to mess around and see what settings work before I can perform a real test. But it feels like it's on random-direction autopilot. More testing will probably have to wait until the weekend, but if I can't fix the stability, the extra 2-3 minutes is sadly not worth it.

I have gopro footage from the Phantom in the air for the full 17 minutes, but it's pitch black, just flying around the backyard and you can't really see the wild movements, it just looks like bizarre piloting.

r86fKCJ.jpg

The props look awesome on the Phantom though. The quad looks way more athletic.

I'm wondering how those CF PV clones would work on my F550. I might try them.

Hmm.. Interesting that it threw off stability so much.. Have you had a chance to play with the gains yet?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

diomark said:
Hmm.. Interesting that it threw off stability so much.. Have you had a chance to play with the gains yet?

I probably won't have a chance to do so until the weekend. But it surprised me as well, as the movements are much more wild and dynamic than I would expect gain changes to be. I also have to make sure the props are molded right (straight) and balance them as well. Hopefully it's solvable.

by ElGuano » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Where did you place the 4400mah 3S2P Battery?

My own experience has been extra flight time of approximately one and a half minutes but my Phantom 1.1.1 (with Tiger Motors and Zenmuse) is a little less stable and prone to wandering than previously. I was very happy with my previous Graupners so I'm not sure yet whether I'll keep them. Also, take care when fitting them. I obviously didn't mount one correctly and it flew off within a few seconds of take-off (fortunately only six feet up and over grass). So no damage done.

PJA said:
by ElGuano » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Where did you place the 4400mah 3S2P Battery?

The battery goes into the Phantom, right where the stock battery goes. You have to widen the opening in the shell and remove a bit of plastic ribbing from the inside to make it fit. You can kind of see the modified battery door in the picture below.

I finally had a chance to take a closer look and balance the P2V props. You can tell they're clearly not works of art. The props are flat and true, but the lamination is a bit rough and you can see minor imperfections in the finish. No big deal, these are getting sanded to hell and back anyways. And in reality, they're just like my 8" CF props, which perform flawlessly.

0e14inw.jpg

IvzPBdd.jpg

As expected, they don't come well-balanced straight from the sweatshop. I had to spend about an hour and a half balancing each of the props, and all of them needed a bit of hub balancing. Again, not really unexpected.

The good news is, once balanced, the difference was DRAMATIC. These props are now quite well-behaved. The Phantom hovers stable, it moves predictably, it keeps attitude, and it handles ATTI and manual modes well. They're really quite comparable to my 8" props now, maybe a tad bit slower. I didn't end up needing to touch the gains, which is both surprising and gratifying.

As for flight time, it's still kind of interesting. A test flight with the balanced props yielded a flight time of 18:09. However, the discharge was 90%, certainly a bit high. I'm not to concerned about that though, because I mainly judge my flights by ending voltage, and this flight ended at 3.61/3.68/3.69 (10.9v). Looking back at my logs, other flights at this ending voltage were 14:25 and 15:01.

Interestingly, the NAZA level-1 alarm first came on at 15:06. My longest flight with 8" props is 15:21, so that's quite something. And the NAZA alarm usually hits between 12 and 13min, so that represents a 2-3 minute difference before hitting 10.6 loaded.

So far, I think it's safe to say I'm getting a slight increase in flight time with the P2V CF props, of between 2-4 minutes on dual-batteries. Fairly ballpark compared to other reports, but nowhere near what some have claimed. I'll want to map where the 80% discharge falls, just to see if the performance is linear.

ElGuano,
Thanks for the detailed report. There are, on eBay, both the CF 9" Vision clones you bought and 9" plastic (OEM looking) Vision clones for < $14. Those are V1.1 compatible, notched, not self-tightening. Just noticed their availability. Those might be less stiff and have a different flight characteristic.

And thanks for the info about the 4400mAH batteries.

From the looks of the picture....the camera/gimbal are set to shoot out the LED side of the PH and not the battery door side....which was "front" to me. I understand it is all interchangeable. If so, why and what advantages??

Peter Patricelli said:
ElGuano,
Thanks for the detailed report. There are, on eBay, both the CF 9" Vision clones you bought and 9" plastic (OEM looking) Vision clones for < $14. Those are V1.1 compatible, notched, not self-tightening. Just noticed their availability. Those might be less stiff and have a different flight characteristic.

And thanks for the info about the 4400mAH batteries.

From the looks of the picture....the camera/gimbal are set to shoot out the LED side of the PH and not the battery door side....which was "front" to me. I understand it is all interchangeable. If so, why and what advantages??

I'm not 100% sure of the adv/disav of CF versus plastic props, but I imagine it's easier to mold the self-tightening versions from plastic. There's a significant weight savings with CF for sure, but maybe that's offset by the integrated nuts? I've been flying CF mainly, but I have nothing bad to say about the stock Phantom 1 plastic props - IMO they're just as good as the CF, if a couple of grams heavier each.

Yeah, I reversed/spun my Phantom so the back is now the front. Since I run a larger battery, having both that and the gimbal hanging off the battery-door side results in a very front-heavy craft. This way, I can put however big a battery I want in the "back" and even use a much larger battery door, and hang the gimbal much further out the front on the other side (where the LED status light used to be) and still keep the center of gravity balanced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1