Vision Plus Speed

justin00 said:
I think i am actually ready to take my prop guards off... Haven't 'bumped' into any tree's since the first week I got it.... and when I land in wind I have fairly decent control in regards to balancing it out so it doesnt topple over... plus I don't go out when its to windy, anymore... but yeah I bet I take them off and bam!! tree comes out of no where :p

I flew with a set of prop guards until they **** near caused me to lose my quad. It's just like meta4 stated, they are just like a wind sail. This is also back when the default altitude gain setting was either 100% or 120%. It was all the qua could just to get launched at the start of flight.

We had a evening where there was a constant 7-12mph gust of wind. I wanted to fly no higher then 175ft. I was ok at 80-90ft, but when at 175ft it became a struggle. The more I tried to fly home which was directly into the wind, the further away it got from me. This all took place when I knew very little about my Phantom 2 Vision. I had it full throttle and it would just sit stationary. soon as I lifted from full throttle it would drift a little. Before I knew it I was jogging in the direction of the quad knowing it headed for a thick wooded area. From between two houses I manged to see it as it was landing due to the battery nearly exhausted. I got connection and forced it to the ground the last 15ft.

I was so glad to have taken the guards off. It flies SO much better without them.

Ok
I'm convinced.. going to take the guards off tonight.. quite excited :)

Last night with 4-5 mph tail wind in ATTI mode my max speed was 17.8 meters per second which is about 40mph if my conversion is correct.

I to want to know the trick for higher speeds within 3.06 firmware. Downgrading to 1.08 is not an option due to magnetic declination.

Damon said:
Last night with 4-5 mph tail wind in ATTI mode my max speed was 17.8 meters per second which is about 40mph if my conversion is correct.

I to want to know the trick for higher speeds within 3.06 firmware. Downgrading to 1.08 is not an option due to magnetic declination.

Did a 34,95 m/s ( +125km/h ) flight this week.
1) Sneek low into the wind and get distance.
2) Climb to a 100/150m hight.
3) Turn and have the wind from behind the bird.
4) Flick into ATTI and full throttle ahead.
5) Watch altitude !

Obvious learn to fly in ATTI mode in calm conditions first !
Result, +125km/h speed with 40/50km/h tailwind.

ToThePoint said:
Damon said:

Did a 34,95 m/s ( +125km/h ) flight this week.
1) Sneek low into the wind and get distance.
2) Climb to a 100/150m hight.
3) Turn and have the wind from behind the bird.
4) Flick into ATTI and full throttle ahead.
5) Watch altitude !

Obvious learn to fly in ATTI mode in calm conditions first !
Result, +125km/h speed with 40/50km/h tailwind.
Will try tonight even winds are calm at low level. I'm really curious if max tilt changes at steps of altitude or if its just higher winds at higher altitude. The iosd will tell me results, since I'm not running a flytrex.

By the way 77 mph is flat out screaming ;)

No luck still speeds of 17.5-8 m/s at 120 meters up. :(

My record with both the P2V and P2V+ is a hair under 70mph and let me just say I love the sight of them whizzing by at that speed. It's awesome. Both of those fast runs were in winds around 15-16mph. It's hardly ever windy around here so I don't get a chance to do speed runs very often which makes them even more fun.

Took em off and went for a test.. Didn't seem to increase speed as much as I thought it would, was a slight increase.
Definetly less VRS when decending (or what I suspect to be VRS).. also ALOT smoother when descending to land.. when the prop guards on it would float around abit even in my wind.. alot more defined control I guess you might call it with the prop guards removed. Seemed to generally move through the air a little smoother, as expected, but not like a totally diff machine or anything... Oh yeah, descending what a bit faster as well without the guards.
I'll keep them off and do more tests so so far it seems nice with them off... but yeah I don't think its like flying a totally diff machine having them on/off as I said earlier... perhaps I will see even better results when I fly it without the guards in strong windows.

My only complaint is I don't have a case, so with the prop guards I could put the phantom on the car seat next to me and prop guards would hold it in the seat nicely.. now I have to put it on the floor and drive verrry slowly :p Might need to invest in a case.

Soo how are you guys achieving such fast speeds ? Can you give us some tips/tricks please ??

Would love to know about that crazy descent rate, not to try it!! but just to learn more about flying/aerodynamics of how it all works.... Pretty sure you won't tell us, but feel free to PM me if you feel generous... can promise not to pass on the informtion :)

justin00 said:
Ok

Here is 79 mph with video done a month or so ago. Just remember in ATTI mode it will continue to drift and at 70 mph you are covering a lot of ground. A simple switch up to GPS will slow you down... Also in really high winds the phantom has a hard time returning to home
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... rex-65583/

justin00 said:
Ok

Be careful and do not put the long screws back in once the PGs are removed!

You will ruin the motors if you do!!!

brorex said:
Also in really high winds the phantom has a hard time returning to home

Which is why when I have been trying for speed I have been flying into the wind and making my run coming back.

To start I basically go straight up to elevation. Flip to ATTI to see what direction the bird drifts and they turn it around and fly opposite direction in GPS mode, do a 180 and go balls out.

^^ Yip thanks the the tip :)
The guy in hobby shop who sold it all to me with the prop guards said same thing, luckily :)

Seems silly DJI make it even possible for that of mishap to occur... surely they could come up with something to stop people doing it.

Solved my issue of transporting (harder) without the guards.
turns out common sense has prevailed.

the cardboard insert inside the box makes the perfect box to use to transport the phantom in the car. Dunno why I didn't think of it earlier lol..
I mean it did come like this from the factory :p even fits nicely with the props on... just have to take the cardboard insert out of the main box.
Though i'd post it up for anyone else... errr a little slow like me :p hey I get there eventually.. just takes a me a little longer heh.

Sorry for O/T... 98% of my posts are O/T.. I need to work on that.. Only been using online forums for about 16-17 years now :/

justin00 said:
Took em off and went for a test.. Didn't seem to increase speed as much as I thought it would, was a slight increase.
Definetly less VRS when decending (or what I suspect to be VRS).. also ALOT smoother when descending to land.. when the prop guards on it would float around abit even in my wind.. alot more defined control I guess you might call it with the prop guards removed. Seemed to generally move through the air a little smoother, as expected, but not like a totally diff machine or anything... Oh yeah, descending what a bit faster as well without the guards.
I'll keep them off and do more tests so so far it seems nice with them off... but yeah I don't think its like flying a totally diff machine having them on/off as I said earlier... perhaps I will see even better results when I fly it without the guards in strong windows.

My only complaint is I don't have a case, so with the prop guards I could put the phantom on the car seat next to me and prop guards would hold it in the seat nicely.. now I have to put it on the floor and drive verrry slowly :p Might need to invest in a case.

Soo how are you guys achieving such fast speeds ? Can you give us some tips/tricks please ??

Would love to know about that crazy descent rate, not to try it!! but just to learn more about flying/aerodynamics of how it all works.... Pretty sure you won't tell us, but feel free to PM me if you feel generous... can promise not to pass on the informtion :)

justin00 said:
Ok

I 1st need to update thread and let those following know that the fast descent days have ended. The reason I was able to do to it was due to having a lose connection on my gps harness. It would cause that data to become corrupt and make the quad confused at what it's elevation at the time was. I have since cured it, and done so in a manner that I now have gps reception that has been out of this world. I know nobody here knows me on a personal level, but I'm not one that fabricates anything, no picture painting, and no sugar coating of any kind. As I just mentioned in a PM to someone, I went from struggling to get 6 satellites prior to launching, to now having 8 satellites before I get the camera screen opened. I then have 10-12 during flight. No secrets here either. I have a flytrex live which requires an additional wire harness. I do know certain things are affected on the Vision Plus simply from not using shielded wires on a few things. I ran my gps harness so that it is below the main control board (and all the surrounding wires). It goes between the bottom of the control board and battery, out the side near the middle. It plugs into the gps plug right there, and the rest is laid with in the arm right that is closest. One time I powered up and had 5 then 6 satellites, but shut everything down and powered up again and it was back to the 8 satellites to start. Prior to these revisions, I had my stuff running along the side the control board.

As for flying fast horizontal speeds, those are still on target, somewhat. I managed a couple 62-63mph. The 63ft actually came from a 1,000ft elevation at night see and hear it no problem.

Something I just brought up in another thread that may, or may not, have something to do with my success thus far. But I do have a newer quad which when you look under the top cover you can clearly see they build the vision plus's much nicer now. Wires are trimmed to length, white glue holding plugs secure, and so on. But I do have Gain Settings that are now different from what most others have. Mine are default. I believe even if there was a recent firmware update, your quad would still remain with your current configuration.

If you want to use my default settings they are:

Basic Gain: Pitch 125% Roll 125% Yaw 120% Vertical 140%

Altitude Gain: Pitch 260% Roll 260%

Finally got mine to zoom past!! was a decent wind today... got her up to 45mph which was waay to fast for me :p

Frank thanks for posting up settings up giving more info regarding your descent.
Mine is a few weeks old and also had nice/clean wiring under the hood.. I kind of assumed they all had that ???

I might investigate what are the setings do first before I play around with them... I know theres a heap of youtube videos that explain all that sutff which I will watch.. but yeah with a decent wind it flies by... The park I fly around in isnt quite big enough to do any lengthy full speed tests... I could raise it up by don't really want to fly it outside of the park area, just incase... few apartment blocks very close by.. would hate to land through someones glass window :p

Did some flights in high wind today. Took it up let it drift in ATTI for while and it was being drug at 11.2 meters per second (25 mph)!

Headed up wind for a while my full speed was bouncing between 2-6 meters per second! Whipped the phantom around and was able to hit 28.8 meters per second (64.5 mph) [emoji41]

Needless to say it took a while to get back home.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4