Vision Plus Camera vs GoPro

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to buy something to fly with and take pictures/video with :) and after a bit of looking around I decided it can be something from DJI (but I guess I won't get much help in brand selection here :) ).

The problem is whether Phantom 2 (+ H3-3D + GoPro H3) or Phantom 2 Vision+.

My concern is mostly image quality. I guess GoPro optic is better, but VIsion+ has the ability to shoot RAW, so is the RAW format good enough? :) (I am a photographer, so I know what RAW means and what the benefits are, but I haven't been able to find any tests). So if you can provide some informations, opinions, experiences or even RAW pictures, it would be great :).

Also is there any way to transfer telemetrics with Phantom 2 (not Vision)?

Thank you :)

Lukis said:
Also is there any way to transfer telemetrics with Phantom 2 (not Vision)?

With a stock P2-H3D3 you get NO telemtry, no FPV, and no way to control the camera in the air. Before lifting off, you set the camera to video or interval photo, hit record, then fly. You have to hope you point the camera properly to get your subject in the frame. You have to land (or hover in front of yourself) to change the camera settings. You do get stabilized video of higher quality than the Vision+ if you go with the Hero 3+ Black GoPro. You will have to purchase additional components and modify the P2 to add FPV and telemetry capabilities. You can not add the ability to adjust the camera inflight as you do with a Vision+.

Thank you for your answer.

As far as I know, you can adjust the elevation of GoPro via H3-3D.

For FPV ofcourse I was about to purchase FatSharks, but I thought that you can transmit only the output from GoPro with no telemetry (altitude, speed,...).

Lukis said:
As far as I know, you can adjust the elevation of GoPro via H3-3D.

For FPV ofcourse I was about to purchase FatSharks, but I thought that you can transmit only the output from GoPro with no telemetry (altitude, speed,...).

Correct you can adjust camera tilt but, without FPV, it would be difficult to know what you are tilting to see.

I am not familiar with the FatShark goggles but, for telemetry, you should be able to add DJI's iOSD-mini. It connects to the NAZA, and the video from the camera passes through it before it reaches the transmitter, overlaying the telemetry data over the FPV video.

Dirty Bird:
Got you :). So the posibilities are not as limited as I thought... good news :). Thanks for iOSD suggestion.

Michigan_PI thanks for the pic :)

I would say that was a legit test, although at the beginning, they should have been comparing similar modes (wide-wide or narrow-mid).

The Vision + does have issues when panning which is a bit annoying but hopefully that will be taken care of with a firmware update.

If you dont like the fisheye or lense quality check out replacement GoPro lenses from ragecams.com. As a photographer you will want to add filters probably. This takes a bit of achievable engineering to get the gimbel to balance...just more diy'ing!

happydays said:
If you're a professional photographer, you will probably end up disappointed with either V+ or GoPro and will want to take a full DSLR up in the air. For that you'll have to spend £$€ loads.

:D

CBS
Happydays is absolutely correct here. I am a professional photographer/DOP and the difference between GoPro and P2V+ is not that big but there is a lot more fuzz with the P2+GoPro+ZenMuse+iOSD+FPV solution. Start with a P2V+ it will do fine, then if you feel this is your call upgrade to a DSLR platform.

Now the discussion starts to flow :)... thanks for that.

I have seen the comparison and on the video side the GoPro seems to win (at least a little bit)... important to say I intend to edit the vid/pic, not use them out of the camera.

So the only real question was if the RAW format outweights the GoPro JPG so much.
Two questions:
1, for GOPRO guys :)... gopro has that protune video mode to shoot "as neutral as possible", is some similar settings available for JPG as well?
2, for 2+ guys... I am still wondering how much can I recover from that RAW (basically what is the dynamic range of the sensor... does not have to be exact numbers, comparison with GoPro JPG would do :) ).

And for last few posts:

There is no doubt, taking a DSLR in the air is great :)... but Phantom can ;) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaocIQounQ)... no, just kidding :).

I have no intention in doing big drones stuff (for so far). I am just enthusiastic about flying and taking aerial footage and I guess GoPro would be sufficient.

Also I really like the idea of long range (altitude) flights, so I guess Vision is crossed out for that with its range :).

I like the FPV system that the V+ has. Great to see satellite numbers, repeater and battery remaining, etc - all out of the box.

If you go with a GoPro set up (and I've had one of them on a P1) you will have to add a gimbal, FPV gear and all that. For the minor difference in quality the V+ works well. Just don't crash it!

CBS

If you are looking for a turn-key system, it's the Vision+
Complete and ready to fly with an additional battery for $1369
You get FPV feed as well as flight data sent back to you in real-time plus control over the gimbal

For the GoPro "Z" Gimbal option, keep in mind that you may be able to control the gimbal, you still have no control over the camera itself. You would have to turn it on before the flight and that's it.
Also, you'll have to buy a FPV kit to get video feed from the camera.
And you'd have to install another interface to get your in-flight data
If you attempt to control the camera via the GoPro app while flying, you may see your Phantom go bye-bye as the wifi on the GoPro interferes with the control signal.

If you are still having a really hard time deciding, wait a few months, something new WILL come out

I ran a quick test in video mode with the + camera:

MKfPnuB.jpg

If you're chasing image quality primarily, the GoPro wins, especially if you're shooting in 1080p 60. The Vision's got a big leg up in ease of use, tight integration/telemetry, control over camera settings and shooting in flight, etc.

Thanks for pics and comparisons.

XL-Studios... I was quite positively surprised about the sky, wouldn't you have some dng with sun in it? :) just to see the amout of information in it? Thank you very much :)... I know I am not modest :).

ElGuano may I just ask just to be sure... all pictures except from bottom row are from vision+?

About the equipment that I would have to buy for FPV, flight info overlay and stabilization... I am aware :)

Lukis said:
ElGuano may I just ask just to be sure... all pictures except from bottom row are from vision+?

No worries. Yes, all pictures are screencaps of video output at 100% (except for 720p, which is scaled up) from the Vision + camera, except for the last row, which is GoPro H3B at 1080p 60 (wide, non-protune).

ElGuano said:
I ran a quick test in video mode with the + camera:

MKfPnuB.jpg

If you're chasing image quality primarily, the GoPro wins, especially if you're shooting in 1080p 60. The Vision's got a big leg up in ease of use, tight integration/telemetry, control over camera settings and shooting in flight, etc.
Thanks for the test. Unfortunately the light conditions are far from identical between P2V+ and the GP. Otherwise the setup was very good. I also don´t understand how the stills and the motion could change angle so much? You really seem to have to skills to pull off a much better test than we have seen from someone before, could you please repeat it with identical light and angle?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers