Litchi app on Android

Reaction score
Hi all!

We released the first version of the Litchi today!

Download it from Google Play or via http://www.flylitchi.com

** Important **
When starting the app for the first time, you need to be connected to Internet in order to validate the app with DJI servers.

Feature Highlights:
  • Smart connection: You don't need to leave the app to go into your Wi-Fi settings, the app will detect your phantom's Wi-Fi network and automatically connect to it
  • Fast refreshing flight data (altitude, distance, speed & more)
  • Autorecord
  • Choose between Full screen FPV or shared screen video and map
  • Advanced Camera settings (including 4608x3456 photo size and contrast which are not in the official app)
  • Take Full HD photos while recording
  • Gesture based Gimbal control (touch down and then scroll up or down)
  • Tablet support
  • Hassle free map caching, disconnect by clicking the top button
  • Compatible with Vision, Vision Plus & Vision Plus with GoPro mod

Ground station mode is currently readying for a release. It should be released next week if all goes well but if you can't wait and want to check it out you can download it by following these instructions:
  1. Join the Google group
  2. Allow pre-release downloads by clicking Become a Tester in the Play Store (you need to join the Google Group before becoming a tester)
  3. Download Litchi from the Play Store to update your app

Our pre-release version includes a fully functional Ground Station, you can load and save missions offline. There are no limits to how far you can place waypoints, except with no fly zones. You can set waypoints at up to 400m altitude, 57km/h and have up to 60sec wait time at each one of them.

Follow me & flight logs are coming soon!

FAQ:

- How do I connect to my phantom?
When starting the app for the first time, make sure you are connected to Internet. Then click on the top button and connection should happen automatically as long as your phantom and range extender are both turned on!
After the first startup, if your phone's Wi-Fi is enabled and you are already connected to the phantom's Wi-Fi network, the app will automatically connect. If you are not connected to the phantom's Wi-Fi network, it will first ask you for confirmation.

- Why are my maps showing as blank?
Unfortunately you have to be connected to Internet in order to download maps. In order to do that, either start the app with Wi-Fi disabled OR click on the top button if you are currently connected to the phantom.
Once disconnected from the Wi-Fi, you will be able to drag the map around in order to cache maps!

- What features are you planning to add in the future?
Our current plan in the near-future is to add a Follow-me mode, more Ground Station features such as POI, flight logs!

- Is this app compatible with a Phantom 2 Vision, or Phantom 2 Vision Plus, or both?
It is compatible with both the Vision and the Vision Plus.

- Can I use this app with a Vision Plus that has the GoPro mod?
Yes! Most camera features won't be available but everything else works!

- I have a suggestion, or a bug to report, what should I do?
Join our forums at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vctechplus/join and let us know or drop us a message here, we already have many planned features and we always welcome more ideas & suggestions!

- I was a beta tester already for the previous versions, why am I not getting updates?
You will need to re-allow testing in the Play Store as this is a whole new app!

Last edited:
It looks like it won't run on Apple products, just Google/Android. I have Mac and i-phone. Should I bother to download?
Glyps

Hi Glyph,

This is an Android app only. No plans for IOS support yet.

Nice work! Will be buying when Ground Station is fully released. I love the user interface.

As I understand it, TurnType is not supported in the SDK yet? Are you certain? Setting TurnType to 0 equals Stop and Turn, but setting to 1 allows banking and turning. This is a variable that simply gets uploaded to the phantom to interpret so I don't know why the SDK would interfere. It's passed along with StayTime and a few other global variables. Would be nice to have bank and turn.

Reactions: eseckinger
Hi ilovecoffee,

To be fair the Android SDK has no explanation/comments whatsoever so it can be difficult sometimes to know what each variable even means. I'll try and see if I can add the turn type setting, it should be doable!

Thanks!

Just purchased and signed up for the Beta so I can use ground station. Will be flying with it shortly to test. The interface looks really nice. +1 on the bank and turn, please add this

Last edited:
Just noticed a few minor things, go home altitude stays at meters when you switch settings. Camera settings do not seem to stick or the app is losing them one?

I flew out of FPV range but not control range and it said going home and started moving back to the home point very fast. (Stock APP does not do this) Fortunately I had plenty of altitude so I didnt hit any trees.

Hi eseckinger,

I'll be sure to fix the gohome altitude showing as meters all the time.
For the camera settings, I might have to disable some of them as they appear to not be supported by the SDK (i.e. some ISO values), most camera settings should work though and they should be saved in the phantom's memory, did you have a problem with one setting in particular?

I am surprised with your out of range/gohome issue, I myself tried to fly out of FPV range, I still had control signal though and it did not come home. Generally the behavior in FPV mode should be similar to what you have with the stock app, my app will never ask the phantom to go home, it will decide to go home on its own if it detects that there is no control signal anymore.

Hi eseckinger,

I'll be sure to fix the gohome altitude showing as meters all the time.
For the camera settings, I might have to disable some of them as they appear to not be supported by the SDK (i.e. some ISO values), most camera settings should work though and they should be saved in the phantom's memory, did you have a problem with one setting in particular?

I am surprised with your out of range/gohome issue, I myself tried to fly out of FPV range, I still had control signal though and it did not come home. Generally the behavior in FPV mode should be similar to what you have with the stock app, my app will never ask the phantom to go home, it will decide to go home on its own if it detects that there is no control signal anymore.

Its possible that I got out of control range to but I didnt think so... Also on the stock app even it you fly out of "control range" it will continue the waypoint missions until complete. It does not go home on loss of control signal.

I have flown 6 more times today with the app and all went well with one exception.

Once I flew out of FPV range and it said disconnected and it never reconnected on its own, top just stayed disconnected so I flew it back to me and closed and opened the app. Either way, this app is laid out much more nicely than the stock app. Excellent job.

Last edited:
Quick question, and I apologise if the answer is in the description somewhere, but can this app record the phone screen (un rooted phone)?

@eseckinger that's correct, our app should also work the same way. In GS mode the phantom should not go home if it goes out of control range, but in FPV mode it will. Did you experience the go home issue in GS mode?
Either way, I'll make sure to double check that everything checks out for when you fly out of FPV range and that the camera does reconnect. Will keep you posted.

@Portland Bill no this app does not record the phone's screen.

Reactions: Portland Bill
@eseckinger that's correct, our app should also work the same way. In GS mode the phantom should not go home if it goes out of control range, but in FPV mode it will. Did you experience the go home issue in GS mode?
Either way, I'll make sure to double check that everything checks out for when you fly out of FPV range and that the camera does reconnect. Will keep you posted.

@Portland Bill no this app does not record the phone's screen.
Thanks for the quick responses, it could be me and not the app. I just didn't expect the behavior I guess. By the way, is the beta one up to date with the release version always? Also is there any way you can make the camera pan controls a bit easier to see. They are a bit tough unless it's really dark. Maybe an adjustable transparency setting.

There are 2 versions currently, the release version that does not include GS, and the pre-release version that is the same as the release version but also includes GS. There may also be alpha builds released in the future.
For the camera pan controls, just to make sure you're talking about the gimbal pitch bar on the left of the camera controls? I'll see about making this more visible!

There are 2 versions currently, the release version that does not include GS, and the pre-release version that is the same as the release version but also includes GS. There may also be alpha builds released in the future.
For the camera pan controls, just to make sure you're talking about the gimbal pitch bar on the left of the camera controls? I'll see about making this more visible!
Thanks man, sweet interface and. Yes that is what I'm referring to. A cleaner plane icon to would be great to :)

Apologies if covered before but I am new to this thread and app but does this app automatically upscale the fpv image on larger tablets ? Im guessing it wont as it is not a lightbridge type of application, but just wondered what the settings would be for the sharpest image onscreen ? Also is there any discernable lag in the image being processed before you see it ?

@Bigcat Yes the GS and follow me updates will be free.

@pyrophantom The video is scaled to full screen resolution. As for the lag, I don't have any lag on a Note 4 with quad hd display, as long as you don't have a lower end tablet/phone it should work just fine and the lag should be similar to what you can see in the stock app.

Reactions: Ross
hi, will this app warn you if you put too may waypoints in and the phantom will not make it home because of battery levels, i.e does this take into account battery levels and its ability to come back home before full discharge when programming waypoints in the flight planner?

Currently, when starting a GS mission, the app will display a preflight report that includes:
- if your battery is low
- the estimated time the mission will take
- if the first waypoint is far (>100m) it will warn you
- if a waypoint has been set very far (>500m) it will also warn you

Max number of waypoints you can set is 16.

Adding a warning if the phantom probably won't make it back in time just got added to the todo list, thanks ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen