Vision plus and 2.4GHz Datalink gives WiFi Problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

despite some recommendations from other Forums and from DJI themselves not to use the 2.4GHz Datalink groundstation with the P2V+ I installed it. Until today everything was fine, it followed all instructions correctly and always returned back to where it should.

Until today I only used my IPad Mini connected to the ground end via Bluetooth. But today I went a step further and wanted to also control the gimbal/camera by using the regular Vision App via WiFi on my IPhone. So I turned on the WiFi repeater on my Transmitter, connected the IPhone and opened the Vision App. The Connection was very intermittent but somehow I managed to bring the camera from it's initial Position to the most upward Position. I intended to start the Mission on the IPad and control the gimbal inflight on the IPhone.

But the Upload of the waypoints to the air end did not work. The IPad Groundstation APP reported "Upload Failure" every time. After switching off the Wifi repeater and my IPhone Vision APP it worked.

Is there anyone with the same Setup who does not have this Problem ? Maybe it's the way the two antennas of the air end are attached to the P2V+ ?? Who knows ??

Regards,
Kent

Bibos said:
Hi everyone,

despite some recommendations from other Forums and from DJI themselves not to use the 2.4GHz Datalink groundstation with the P2V+ I installed it. Until today everything was fine, it followed all instructions correctly and always returned back to where it should.

Until today I only used my IPad Mini connected to the ground end via Bluetooth. But today I went a step further and wanted to also control the gimbal/camera by using the regular Vision App via WiFi on my IPhone. So I turned on the WiFi repeater on my Transmitter, connected the IPhone and opened the Vision App. The Connection was very intermittent but somehow I managed to bring the camera from it's initial Position to the most upward Position. I intended to start the Mission on the IPad and control the gimbal inflight on the IPhone.

But the Upload of the waypoints to the air end did not work. The IPad Groundstation APP reported "Upload Failure" every time. After switching off the Wifi repeater and my IPhone Vision APP it worked.

Is there anyone with the same Setup who does not have this Problem ? Maybe it's the way the two antennas of the air end are attached to the P2V+ ?? Who knows ??

Regards,
Kent

I have the same setup. To be honest we're talking about having two 2.4 Ghz TX units within inches of each other. I don't think we can expect to have both working perfectly at the same time. They do interfere with each other so both signals get impacted. If you want to move the gimbal along the way I think the best option is to us the GS within the Vision app. Even better is to use the hacked version for android which gets you closer to the iPad ground station experience but requires no additional hardware on the bird. I'd be interested to know how you have it mounted on the air end.

Hello Job,

I have it mounted on the back side just behind the Gimbal Close to the battery. If you look at the Phantom from the front side the antennas come out of the air end to the right side. One I have turned to the right side of the drone and one goes straight down the closest leg (the one with the compass unit attached)

I saw this mounting several times and thought it might be a good one.

You're right, we shouldn't expect them to work perfectly together since they were just not designed to do so. And if by Chance there is a way to overcome this issue, the better :)

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

just came back from another try. The one antenna that is attached to the leg with the compass I kept in it's place. The other one I've changed now facing Forward (in flight direction) and I had a Little better Connection via WiFi. So the direction of the antennas is changing the interference a bit. I think I can live with this Version now.

Bibos said:
Hi,

just came back from another try. The one antenna that is attached to the leg with the compass I kept in it's place. The other one I've changed now facing Forward (in flight direction) and I had a Little better Connection via WiFi. So the direction of the antennas is changing the interference a bit. I think I can live with this Version now.

Interesting. The TX and RX for the 2.4ghz FPV are located just inside the battery compartment toward the front of the bird. I would have thought you would have had worse reception with the antenna facing forward. If it works it works I guess! [emoji4]

Hi,

besides the WiFi Problem I'm having another issue. The Groundstation loses Connection to the Phantom very quick and often I cannot even upload a Mission. The IPad APP reports "upload failed" where the Phantom is hovering about 5 meters away at an altitude of 5 meters. very strange. Wifi repeater switched off !!

What are the signal indicators in the upper right of the GS app telling you?

Hi,

don't know yet what the Signal indicators said when it happened but I've done a "dry test" on the ground with a Little different antenna Placement of the air end and at least I could see an intermittent Video and could control the gimbal and I could upload a flightplan. I'll try around a Little more.

Rgds,
Kent

I'm getting the Impression it has something to do with the Startup sequence of the components.

I've done some more on-the-ground testing and had success all the time with this sequence.

1. Switch on Phantom
2. Switch on Transmitter and WiFi repeater
3. Setup cellphone and start Vision app (to control gimbal)

Everything should be accessible and working at that Point. Only after These steps

4. Power-on ground end of Datalink

Voilá, I could control the gimbal and upload waypoints.

Before (I think) I always powered-up the ground end before the WiFi repeater. That may have caused the interference.....Anyone can confirm this ?

Greetings,
Kent

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4