Vision lens capability question

Reaction score
I'm awaiting delivery of my P2V and I will be using it to shoot still photos - no video. I haven't been able to determine whether or not the software controller FPV apps (I'll be using Apple iOS on an iPad mini) will allow one to change the image circle in still shot mode (DJI calls this "FOV"- field of view). I understand there are three settings from 90 degrees "FOV" to 140 degrees FOV. Has anyone here experience with this?

I have downloaded the Adobe/DJI lens correction filter for PShop and it works, sort of. I plan to use RAW/DNG when available to tweak the Vision shots.

Also, related to the FOV question : has anyone been able to purchase/use the "46mm filters" for the Vision? If so, where can one buy them (not at B&H!).

Muchos Gracias Gentlemen (and ladies?)

Ron

Oops - perhaps some confusion on The Phantom product designations. The names have suddenly become somewhat confusing since there is now a Phantom 2 with a full-on gimbal. My question only pertains to the camera in the Vision product- obviously not an aftermarket GoPro or other camera...apologies.

The 3 different angle of view settings are for video only. It always takes full 140° angle of view for stills. If you choose one of the narrower settings while shooting stills, the preview will show the narrower view, but the photos are still full wide angle.

Mike- wow, thanks for the fast response! That's what I thought. I am a pro location photographer and have been shooting digital for years- and before that, film. Pros know that high-quality files are produced with "GOOD GLASS"- (i.e. optics); sensor size is a secondary consideration. Yes, the larger the chip, the greater the opportunity to get fat files full of photo data. But in the end, it all gets down to lighting knowledge(and gear) and quality optics. Therefore, I'm hoping the glass in the Vision is relatively decent. I do realize that the FOV is a digital file size manipulation and not a prime lens shift- however, to have the option of narrowing the field in a still mode would have been nice. I'm thinking DJI can change this in firmware fairly easily - if they get enough still pros to request it.

Thanks Again. I'm still excited to see what the Vision file quality looks like.

Ron

Ron,
Please don't get overly excited - the quality of the (still) files at the moment is garbage. You can only view and work on the Jpegs which are full of artifacts. When we eventually get to see how the Raw files look on screen then we can tell whether its a good piece of glass, a good chip or whatever. Personally I'm not hopeful unfortunately, despite suggestions that the DNG converter is about to be released it still has not appeared and this is a month and more after the launch. AND DJI are still pushing it as a high end camera. Sorry.
whereabouts are you btw?

Mactab-

I am an optimist for $1,200 investment (not including iPad Mini). I remain somewhat excited, although I have come to a reasonably informed conclusion about the Phantom Vision's shortcomings as a "pro" platform.

I'm in the NYC area.

I've been shooting with Phase 1 backs (and all the CapOne stuff, early RAW- pre-PShop profiles, yada) and before that, 4X5 w/Schneider glass. I am fairly "jaded" by what a variety clients will now accept as "good" pics - and therefore remain somewhat optimistic that the Vision will be "good enough" as a first-generation product (on this quadcopter) platform to do some non-critical pro work: (like eng company surveys, Summer weddings, some sports events, property inspections and sales). No Architectural Digest covers or Pepsi Billboards.

I see you're in the UK. I lived in London and the West Country for 2 years.

How long have you been shooting with your Phantom (Vision?)- or GoPro/Hero set-up?

Ron

hollowneck said:
Also, related to the FOV question : has anyone been able to purchase/use the "46mm filters" for the Vision? If so, where can one buy them (not at B&H!).

Ron

Oops - perhaps some confusion on The Phantom product designations. The names have suddenly become somewhat confusing since there is now a Phantom 2 with a full-on gimbal. My question only pertains to the camera in the Vision product- obviously not an aftermarket GoPro or other camera...apologies.

Send email to http://ragecams.com/shop/ the have 46 mm to fix in PV Camera US$ 490

juarboleda said:
hollowneck said:

Ron

Send email to http://ragecams.com/shop/ the have 46 mm to fix in PV Camera US$ 490

The lens swap looks pretty impressive, but wow that's spendy.

hollowneck said:

I have ordered a 40.5 to 52mm step ring. A little light grinding and a dab of epoxy...$3.

juarboleda said:
hollowneck said:

Ron

Well, Not sure whether this is good or bad news. Ragecams, Dennis send me back my camera with the modifications. I could not connect it to my receiver???? So Back to Ragecams it went. Apparently they cannot figure out what went wrong and cannot fix. I am asking myself, Am I out the fees and shipping I paid ragecams? Will I need to spend another $500 for a replacement camera? I don't have answers to these questions yet, but you can bet I will followup on all the forums with the good or bad news!

This is a direct quote from their website "This is very easy and safe to do.

To order this service please go ahead & place your order, & if you want the deluxe mod with filter kit select that also.

We ask that you mail us your camera & the repeater receiver part only.

We insure our work & have modded well over 1000 gopro cameras & 10 vision2 camera to date. Your camera will come back ready to film as soon as you connect it back to the vision2."

here is a link to their site: http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-lens-inst ... p-658.html

Dennis keeps telling me how overwhelmed he is. He had better take care of his customers of that will change real fast.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj