Vision goes crazy

Reaction score
Yesterday I was flying in my backyard. Low height and just playing. I had never used a lot of the features in the App for my phone.
When I tapped the Accelerometer Sensor Mode icon, the Phantom went crazy. Hit the top of my house, flew threw a tree and then
landed hard and flipped over. Anyone have any ideas what may have caused this?

Thanks
Tom in SC

The Accelerometer Sensor Mode allows the tilt of your phone to control the pitch of the camera AND the yaw of the Phantom. I have only used the Accelerometer Sensor Mode while hovering - during which it's yaw makes sense and is rather mild. I had never thought about it before but if the Phantom was moving while you were tilting your phone in the yaw control axis it would change the direction of the Phantom. If you weren't aware of this it would seem like it was out of control.

Here is the relevant diagram. See manual for more info.

Attachments

• Accel.jpg
    Accel.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 509
In previous revisions, this accelerometer mode, the symbol had to be held down to operate in this mode. With the newer app, tapping the icon once, turns it on or off.

Perhaps you turned it on and didnt turn it off by tapping the icon a second time?
Let us know what you find.

Sure, lots of rain here so it may be a few days before I can get back out. I will check the version of software also.

Tom

RCRookie said:
In previous revisions, this accelerometer mode, the symbol had to be held down to operate in this mode. With the newer app, tapping the icon once, turns it on or off.

Perhaps you turned it on and didnt turn it off by tapping the icon a second time?
Let us know what you find.

I've done this by accident. I had my P2V in a hover at about 30 feet and was approaching an object I wanted to shoot. I was slowly ascending to around 45 feet, when I must have hit the accelerometer icon by mistake. The aircraft started yawing around seemingly on its own. It was weird ! It seemed like something was interfering with my TX and the phantom was getting signals from somewhere else. :eek: :shock:

I promptly landed it and headed back to the car. Before I got to the car, I realized what was going on and started laughing with relief. I went to another field and was easily able to recreate the problem. Scared the crap out of me when it was happening, though... :D

John Shaw said:
The Accelerometer Sensor Mode allows the tilt of your phone to control the pitch of the camera AND the yaw of the Phantom. I have only used the Accelerometer Sensor Mode while hovering - during which it's yaw makes sense and is rather mild. I had never thought about it before but if the Phantom was moving while you were tilting your phone in the yaw control axis it would change the direction of the Phantom. If you weren't aware of this it would seem like it was out of control.

So with somewhat questionable judgement...
After making the quoted comment earlier in this thread...
While testing 3.06 today in a semi-open but empty parking lot, I decided to test out using accelerometer sensor mode to steer while going forward. Yes it works and with some practice might be useful if following a trail, creek, boat, dog etc.
However today I found it really works well if your looking for an evergreen tree to park in. Luckily no permanent damage resulted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav