Vision+ FPV Upgrade

Reaction score
I've just purchased a Phantom 2 Vision+ and I'm not happy with the camera quality or the FPV via iPhone or Android.
I'm looking to do commercial quality videography and the OOB hardware isn't cutting it. Great for hobby but no commercial ready.

I also have a GoPro Hero3+ and it takes AWESOME video. So...

I'm looking to:
1. Get a ZenMuse H3-3D for the GoPro
2. Add a DJI AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link for better FPV (it's the best I found. let me know if there's something better). I'll likely get a Skylark 7" monitor for it.
3. Add a IOSD Mini for on-screen data

Two questions:
1. What do you think of this setup / will it work?
2. The Phantom 2 Vision+ comes with GPS, If I were to add the Naza-M V2, what benefits would I be gaining? Would I remove the existing GPS hardware?

Noobie Pilot

The first thing you need to do is sell the P2V+ and get a P2Z as the mods that you are planning cannot be done on the one you have, the remote control is on the same frequency as the video transmitter that you plan on getting ;)

bpduav said:
1. Get a ZenMuse H3-3D for the GoPro
2. Add a DJI AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link for better FPV (it's the best I found. let me know if there's something better). I'll likely get a Skylark 7" monitor for it.
3. Add a IOSD Mini for on-screen data

Two questions:
1. What do you think of this setup / will it work?
2. The Phantom 2 Vision+ comes with GPS, If I were to add the Naza-M V2, what benefits would I be gaining? Would I remove the existing GPS hardware?

Noobie Pilot

You need to rethink your choice because the Vision+ is ill-suited to your planned purpose. The Vision+ control frequency is 5.8 Ghz, and its FPV is 2.4 Ghz. This is reversed from most systems, where control is 2.4 and FPV is 5.8. If you want to use the Vision+ chassis for this purpose, you'll need to swap out your controller/receiver to 2.4 Gh, PLUS make the additional FPV mods. You don't need the NAZA-M V2....its already in the Vision+. Any chance you could resell and order the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse HD-3D gimbal and iOSD instead?

If you are looking to commercial videotography you didnt research enough. The tool obviously doesnt suit your needs. When people say this is a prosumer quad, it is but its not a professional commercial bit of kit. Enjoy it for what it is, if not get at least a $2500 setup with a p2, gopro, fpv. Otherwise start thinking of spending $20,000 on an entry level pro rig. Dont buy something without doing research and then slate it.

I'll clear this up first: What I'm doing here on this forum is part of my research. We have bought a P2V+ but we're still in the research stage. I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you for your time.

P2V+ was not a good choice for the proposed upgrades. Got it. Not a big deal, however. We have more phantoms in the budget and we'll get it right. :)

For the existing P2V+, we're also looking to replace the radio with a futaba T8FG. With that and a new Rx (R7008SB) would that fix the issue with the radio and the FPV being on the same freq? Sorry I didn't mention that before.
Futaba = 2.4Ghz
FPV = 5.8Ghz

If I had to do this again, should I have just purchased the the regular Phantom 2 for these mods? http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2
I would then need the Naza-m V2, Tx, Rx, FPV, H3-3D, and GoPro, no?

I can't get the boss to spend the money on a $10K+ UAS just yet so I'm doing my best with the Phantom models. And I think it was a wiser decision. We're starting out but we're learning quickly.

Thanks again, folks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20