Vision Camera versus GoPro Hero 3+

Reaction score
I am really enjoying and will continue to use the the Vision but I really am annoyed by the image quality. I was wondering if anyone had used the original Phantom with a 12mp GoPro and could give me some idea is a step up in image quality compared to the Vision. I don't really care about video so I am really only concerned with photo quality. Thanks for your input.

I don't see it as one camera is bad and the other one is good, I see it as the P2V camera y very good but the Gopro is superior. After buying the P2V I went ahead and bought me a Phantom 1 so I can slowly build a "dream flying cam" (gimbal, go pro, fpv, etc)

Basically yes, better quality photos from go pro (hero 3+ Silver in my case) but the vision offers an "all in one package" very hard to not fall for. By the time you build your dream rig you will either spend a lot more money (phantom 2+ goodies) or reduce the flight time by minutes due to payload (phantom 1 + goodies) so in my opinion having both setups (p2V and P1+gopro) are a good couple of choices to have on a sunday afternoon. I really have fun flying them both I have to say.

With that being said, I would like to think that the '"phantom 3 Vision" or (whatever name DJI picks for the Vision successor) will be a vision 2 with all the good things about the mobile app and the vision already has but add a 2 axis gimbal and let us put our own camera. in other words, the same as the P2V but with 1 more axis on the gimbal and a mini usb for us to add our own gopros and remove the FC200

It's frustrating because the move up is the GoPro or perhaps my EOS-M. I really like the idea of an EOS-M but to fly one you are really looking at a DJI F550 and by the time you add FPV and iOSD your looking at $1600 plus a camera . So it seems like a GoPro is the obvious step without getting expensive, and the flight times are under 10min. After all that expense you still have to build the copter which I have never done so I would be very interested in a Vision3.

68gtconv said:
It's frustrating because the move up is the GoPro or perhaps my EOS-M. I really like the idea of an EOS-M but to fly one you are really looking at a DJI F550 and by the time you add FPV and iOSD your looking at $1600 plus a camera . So it seems like a GoPro is the obvious step without getting expensive, and the flight times are under 10min. After all that expense you still have to build the copter which I have never done so I would be very interested in a Vision3.

I totally agree.

Particularly I don't care about the 10minutes flight time of my P1, I have a few batteries and I don't mind the take off and landing to get a fresh battery, what I love about the P1 is the range, I have taken mine with a go pro as far me not seeing it anymore and having to use Home Lock to get it back.

I am also looking forward to what DJI will design to take over the Vision.

I feel like the market is there if they could develop good. Most of us are new to the RC market and I know I am a little nervous about building my own hexacopter.

Or Sony RX-100 series, which is slightly lighter than EOS-M.

You'll need to pass the image to FPV and also address the remote shutter issue... otherwise, be content with using timed interval picture taking.

LeoS said:
Or Sony RX-100 series, which is slightly lighter than EOS-M.

You'll need to pass the image to FPV and also address the remote shutter issue... otherwise, be content with using timed interval picture taking.

+1.

I put my go pro on continuous shot every 5 secods

The Phantom is very successful and there will be a successor. However, right now the GoPro and a gimbal will easily beat the P2V. I opted for a P2 with gimbal and osd/FPV. I haven't installed the osd/FPV as yet. I'm getting great results from the P2 and gimbal, though.

I decided tha the best route for investment (and fun) was to buy a Flamewheel and upgrade it as necessary. Even that will be overcome so we lose or we ... lose... ;-}

The gopro will give better images in general, but not by a huge margin. If the vision's images bug you that much, you may not find satisfaction in what the gopro produces. However, in the right conditions the gopro can give you some stunning images that are suitable for most professional and other online uses.

If you're not going to put up anything heavier than a gopro, you probably don't have any need to move to something like the 550. If all you're doing is pictures (no video) and can do without a gimbal, you can get some great flight times (12 min +) out of even the P1 with just a gopro and FPV. If you do end up needing a little more lifting power, you can move to a 550 or something similar for less than you're thinking. I built mine using a Wookong flight controller ($1000) instead of a NAZA, and I still kept it to just over $1600, including FPV but before the batteries...you could get a 550 going with a NAZA for less than what I paid for the Wookong alone.

From comparison shots I've seen on the web of GoPro and compared to my P2V in my opinion the GoPro wouldn't be a big step up. If you're looking for more pro quality pics and or video you'll need a platform that can carry a heavier load like a DSLR camera.

Alternatively, Drone experts makes a Phantom 1 / 2 FPV Package that can carry a Sony RX100 Camera that is not much larger than a point and shoot but delivers DSLR quality.

It's quite pricey though but here's a link to that.

http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-phanto ... converter/

From the comparisons I've seen - GoPro Hero 3 Black is *much* better for video. 2.7K resolution vs 1080, ProTune format, and 1080p60 (for better slow-mo) are all things you can't do on the Phantom FC200 camera. And obviously there are some reasonably-priced, good-quality 2D gimbals shipping for it.

For still photos, I think it's a wash between the GoPro and Phantom FC200. Similar specs & image quality. Similar - if not identical - fisheye lens. Both have had reports of softness or front/back focus issues on some units (search "GoPro focus problem"), while many units are perfectly fine. Possible slight edge to the FC200 because it (finally) has RAW support for greater editing capability. As far as I know, GoPro is still JPEG-only.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
All that plus the simple fact that the FC200 video is very heavily compressed which makes color correction dodgy.
True. Around 11-15 Mbps on the Phantom, vs up to 45 Mbps (in ProTune mode) on the GoPro H3 Black. Big difference for video.

I'm sorry but neither the GoPro or the Vision FC200 are "professional" quality by today's standards. I think both are very comparable. I think it's funny people seem to praise the GoPro. I find the GoPro to be the 'Apple' of cameras. Everyone is obsessed with them. If you want professional grade you should have bought an S800 and use a DSLR camera. Otherwise, everyone needs to shut the hell up. It's so annoying to hear people ***** about their camera quality when just 10 years ago we would have been astonished by it.

In my opinion I still believe the GoPro and FC200 are comparable. The only nod I have to give to going with a GoPro setup is that in the future it is likely they they will use the same size frame and be able to upgrade to a GoPro 4. I would like to believe that DJI will provide an upgraded camera in the future but I'm more likely to believe that they will just sell a completely new machine such as a DJI Phantom 3 Vision instead of just selling a camera upgrade at a later date as technology improves. For now though, I still think both are satisfactory but not exactly pro level.

Scottrod said:
In my opinion I still believe the GoPro and FC200 are comparable. The only nod I have to give to going with a GoPro setup is that in the future it is likely they they will use the same size frame and be able to upgrade to a GoPro 4. I would like to believe that DJI will provide an upgraded camera in the future but I'm more likely to believe that they will just sell a completely new machine such as a DJI Phantom 3 Vision instead of just selling a camera upgrade at a later date as technology improves. For now though, I still think both are satisfactory but not exactly pro level.
Hey, GoPro has an option called "ProTune", therefore it *must* be professional :)

But seriously I think ProTune (from the folks at Cineform, which GoPro acquired) gives the newer GoPros a big advantage for editing video footage in post: 3x higher bitrate, flat sharpening, and neutral color for grading. It's similar to the advantage the P2V has for still photo post-editing, with RAW images.

Both cameras suffer equally from having a single fixed-focus, fisheye lens.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
You don't think that higher capture quality (2k/30p, 1080/60p, RAW features {sharpening, noise reduction, white balance, profile}) doesn't give the nod to GoPro.
Careful - GoPro's ProTune features may be "RAW-like" in some ways - but it's definitely not RAW video. It's still 8-bit, compressed H.264. Although I think it's obviously much better than the P2V's 8-bit, compressed H.264.

EDIT: true RAW video would probably require a RAID Array be built into the Phantom, due to the incredible data capture rates required :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj