Vision camera panning down - limited movement

BenDronePilot said:
Nvr2fst said:
Sounds like you guys are going to bind your servos. If you look at where your camera mounts you will see mechanically there is a limit you can go before you have to physically modify it. I can see complaints coming as to why their camera servos don't work any more.

Sorry but I'm going to have to correct you on this fact. I am NOT binding the servo at any point using the numbers I provided. I listen VERY carefully to when the servo is actually being used or stressed. When reaching the full range up or down it is done.

Also unless you're actively holding the slider button to pan up or down the servo isn't actually working to continue pushing it further up or down. Believe me there are no worries at all here with this setup in regarding the servo travel. To each their own you can feel free to use more relaxed numbers which won't get you to full up or down tilt should you be worried.

No, but it does work to hold the position. And as you fly and the Quad moves forward or back, the camera tries to stay in its position. So if you fly back, the camera will try to hold itself down to where you have it maxed.
Oh, and your numbers may be closer but they are not the be all end all for all. Mine are quite different than yours and mine max both ways without binding or going in the red.

And yes you did have it maxed. Yes it was binding and yes I could hear and see it. You can not convince me otherwise. Nor anybody else that knows better. Do you know what the red means? I guess not. I can tell you its not that it makes it prettier. Now I could care less if you mess yours up or not. If nothing else you use more juice and you shorten the life of it. At the very least it is a bad practice and even worse is you are teaching people this. You admit you are new to this in your video. As you say you were "puzzled" but you think you figured it out. You even claim it is a bug in the software. No, the settings are what make it right. Granted they could have had it a little closer to where it needs to be but these are mass produced. So in comes RC experience.

Anyway people, back yours off just a little, at least until full motion does not show red. You will still have full motion. Get more experience before you question people that have been doing this for way longer than you. You are giving bad advise. It is nice of you to try to help people and you did put them in the right direction but don't hammer me when I get on and point something out to the less experienced. I wasn't attacking your video, just adding a note to it.

Hmmmm Im sitting here thinking, what is that actually stops the camera for pointing straight down, is it the servos limit or is the mount/holder for the camera? If it is the holder, maybe it would be possible to modify it so the camera can go further down? Could any of you guys please look into that? (I still haven't got mine yet - was hoping it would arrive yesterday)

Another question, how far up can the camera go? I can easily imagine situations where I would like to take a photo/video from below something. Could be used for inspection eg. the ceiling in a church.

Yes I can see what you are saying, but maybe just 5-15 degrees or something?

And yes you did have it maxed. Yes it was binding and yes I could hear and see it. You can not convince me otherwise. Nor anybody else that knows better. Do you know what the red means? I guess not. I can tell you its not that it makes it prettier. Now I could care less if you mess yours up or not. If nothing else you use more juice and you shorten the life of it. At the very least it is a bad practice and even worse is you are teaching people this. You admit you are new to this in your video. As you say you were "puzzled" but you think you figured it out. You even claim it is a bug in the software. No, the settings are what make it right. Granted they could have had it a little closer to where it needs to be but these are mass produced. So in comes RC experience.

Anyway people, back yours off just a little, at least until full motion does not show red. You will still have full motion. Get more experience before you question people that have been doing this for way longer than you. You are giving bad advise. It is nice of you to try to help people and you did put them in the right direction but don't hammer me when I get on and point something out to the less experienced. I wasn't attacking your video, just adding a note to it.

The parameters for my camera are stock. And guess what? When pointing it down as far as it will go, I see red and I can hear the servo grind a bit. Like most people... When I see red on a gauge, on a sign, coming out of my arm... I know it's not a good thing and back off...

-slinger

Nvr2fst said:
No, but it does work to hold the position. And as you fly and the Quad moves forward or back, the camera tries to stay in its position. So if you fly back, the camera will try to hold itself down to where you have it maxed.
Oh, and your numbers may be closer but they are not the be all end all for all. Mine are quite different than yours and mine max both ways without binding or going in the red.

Do you know what the red means? I guess not. I can tell you its not that it makes it prettier.

You admit you are new to this in your video. As you say you were "puzzled" but you think you figured it out. You even claim it is a bug in the software. No, the settings are what make it right. Granted they could have had it a little closer to where it needs to be but these are mass produced. So in comes RC experience.

Hi, not to belabor this subject much further. I Just felt I needed to clarify some things.

With my settings as they are in the Assistant app with 650 -825 and -950 I get full scroll front and back with a power on centered position. When listening carefully, at maximum tilt up or down there is no further movement or stress that I can even faintly detect on my own Phantom 2 Vision. And even with it in full tilt down, it wont stay all the way down if for example if the Phantom tilts forward, the camera will then tilt up and not stay in the farthest down position. It never stays stuck in any one position.

Regarding the "Red" indicator. Even just now experimenting using a value of 500 instead of 650 (which does not move the camera fully down) the scroll indicator in the iPhone app will still turn "red". What do you have to say of that? You say if it's red the servo is always going to be on and grinding, well it's obviously not as with a 500 value the gimbal can't tilt in it's max downward position yet the app slider will still turn red.

Regarding my overall experience. As of my particular video demonstrating the "fix" for the gimbal issue I only had my Phantom 2 Vision for a week at that point so my experience with the Phantom 2 Vision specifically, was limited. Although I had already spent a large amount of time reading through varying forums, watching all DJI video's and thoroughly reading through all DJI manuals. Also I have a lot of prior experience with RC controlled vehicles and have built complicated RC models back in the mid 80's. I'm also a computer engineer and technician and have had college training in electronic and computer repair as well so I have no shortage of "experience" in the general field of either electronics, or RC products and servos. So from my background and general knack for fixing things, figuring out the solution on my own wasn't much of a problem.

In the end what all this means is we can agree to disagree on this matter. I feel that my personal settings and recommendation work well with my own Phantom 2 Vision (as well as other peoples) and I don't hear any movement or grinding of the servo's or gears at either max down or up tilt. Also in my opinion DJI should have had the values set properly to begin to provide full range of movement of the camera tilt, so yes I consider that a bug, granted though a minor and easily fixed bug.

P.S. It's worth noting though that the latest firmware update did increase the scroll up value from it's previous max of -450 (which wouldn't let you tilt up to a level position) to a max of -1000 (more than needed) while leaving the other two values the same as before, which were 1000 (down tilt which is also more than needed) and 0 for center (which leaves the camera tilting part way down from power on).

BenDronePilot

Thank you for not coming back with an attitude. I really appreciate that. Yes we will have to agree to disagree. That is the way it should end. People can now take all of this information and use it as they wish.

Friends?

Nvr2fst said:
BenDronePilot

Thank you for not coming back with an attitude. I really appreciate that. Yes we will have to agree to disagree. That is the way it should end. People can now take all of this information and use it as they wish.

Friends?

Nice... This is a lot better than this forum's been seeing lately. Kudos to both of you guys...

-slinger

Nvr2fst said:
BenDronePilot

Friends?

Sure, friends it is :)

gunslinger said:
Nvr2fst said:
BenDronePilot

Friends?

Nice... This is a lot better than this forum's been seeing lately. Kudos to both of you guys...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl