VISION+ CAMERA AND GIMBAL IS JUNK

Sasquatch said:
marcusdji said:
My gimbal just went bad as well. About 12 flights and NO crashes!!

I was about to take off today and the camera was doing the calibration dance after the Phantom was turned on. The camera just fell off and the ribbon cable broke!!! Seems that the part that fell off is attached only by pressure. Do you know if I can buy the ribbon cable?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Marcus. Truly, that really sucks. I read these posts because I could very well be the next potential victim of such a disaster.

I am new to this forum and quads (UAV's) but from what I have read and heard, DJI is really backlogged on spare parts and I doubt that the ribbon cable would be an easy or feasible fix. Let us know what happens or what you find out though.

Thanks for the support. I didn't find the ribbon cable anywhere that I could buy. I disassembled the whole gimbal and everything looks fine, so I think it is just the ribbon cable! I wonder why any chinese company is not selling this cable yet.

VISION+ CAMERA AND GIMBAL IS JUNK

Postby JUSTNONEYA » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 pm
I own a vision and a vision plus and I think the vision plus camera and gimbal are crap. They are so fragile it is ridiculous. I had a some what hard landing but not really hard at all not even 4 ft off the ground didn't even bend the gimbal or touch the camera on my vision plus. Now the camera and gimbal are toast it turns on and jumps around like crazy. I have had my phantom vision over 8 months crashed it like 100 times and not one thing happened to my camera or anything except a few broken props. also when you break your camera or gimbal on the vision plus all you have is a drone with no camera because you cant replace it with no other gimbal or buy another camera gimbal combo like it came with unless you buy one off ebay from some guy that is buying a lot of vision plus's and parting them out making a killing. he sells the cameras with gimbal for 899.00. I bought one from him and installed it and it works perfect but I wont fly my vision plus unless I am completely away from anything just to get a quick video or a pic. If I had a choice I would never buy a vision plus. Get a vision and buy you a rotorpixel gimbal for it or a taco gimbal and it will be just as good and more reliable as the vision plus . Look and videos on you tube of broken vision plus camera there are a lot of them

i wouldn't call it junk,, but i crashed from 5 meter and my gimbal snapped as well... a new one will cost 800$....
but i guess that in time dji will have spare parts...

The reason that the parts are so expensive is because the demand is so high, which means it is so welcome that even a small fraction of a big number is still very big and beyond DJI's ability to supply enough!

Opwan wrote:Well, through no fault of my own. My brand new Vision+ at 60 feet of altitude decides to start gyrating and falling out of the sky today. Did all the calibrations, as I always do. 10 plus flights with 0 crashes, been flying RC for 30+ years. Green steady blinking on the system lights, 15 minutes into the flight the Phantom starts wobbling like crazy. Came down fairly easily, didn't hit too hard but now the gimbal is toast like he said. At 1 1/2 weeks old I am a little miffed. This was not pilot error, and now I have no camera.

I had an almost identical situation except I was 119m above home position, I activated RTH and it descended as expected, at about 60m started oscillating, tried to regain control going from GPS to Atti mode, did nothing, no control until just before impact with ground. I was able to give it enough thrust to make impact minimal. There was no damage at all, not even a grass stain but the gimbal now does not work. I have a Phantom 1 with gimbal and Gopro and have flown it extensively with no crashes at all, the Vision + was only 3 days old with 5 flights and no prop guards.

I also live in the country where there is no possibilty of RF interference, it was a still and sunny day, the FPV advised it was coming home and had video all the way down until time of impact. The place of purchase have sent it off for repair but, in my opinion should have replaced it.

There's no doubt the fragility of the camera and gimbal is the weak point in the system but there has to be some kind of trade off if you want less weight and longer flight times otherwise you get a situation like using the rotorpixel gimbal where it weighs another 120 g more and reduced flight times.

Unexplained crashes are pure bad luck and thankfully a small minority it would appear, whereas some of the flyaway stories we hear can be inexperience, flying to extreme limits, and pilot error which would probably have occurred if using any platform not just the plus.

;)

Opwan wrote:Well, through no fault of my own. My brand new Vision+ at 60 feet of altitude decides to start gyrating and falling out of the sky today. Did all the calibrations, as I always do. 10 plus flights with 0 crashes, been flying RC for 30+ years. Green steady blinking on the system lights, 15 minutes into the flight the Phantom starts wobbling like crazy. Came down fairly easily, didn't hit too hard but now the gimbal is toast like he said. At 1 1/2 weeks old I am a little miffed. This was not pilot error, and now I have no camera.

I had an almost identical situation except I was 119m above home position, I activated RTH and it descended as expected, at about 60m started oscillating, tried to regain control going from GPS to Atti mode, did nothing, no control until just before impact with ground. I was able to give it enough thrust to make impact minimal. There was no damage at all, not even a grass stain but the gimbal now does not work. I have a Phantom 1 with gimbal and Gopro and have flown it extensively with no crashes at all, the Vision + was only 3 days old with 5 flights and no prop guards.

I also live in the country where there is no possibilty of RF interference, it was a still and sunny day, the FPV advised it was coming home and had video all the way down until time of impact. The place of purchase have sent it off for repair but, in my opinion should have replaced it.

well-- i don't mind for 20 minutes flight instead of 25-- if it means that the camera or gimbal will stay intact....
its really is a wick link, and no one can say other wise... the net is full of post-- just like us.
i recently got an e-mail from dji- says that i have to ask from the seller- service repair---- apparently they can fix it-- but instead they
charge 800$ for a new camera...

the "fly away" thing is quite scary-- had the same situation as u 2.... now i am a bit afraid -- what if it will happen again... hope i'll be quick enough to turn gps of and control it manually...

anyhow-- i am still waiting for this service repair... or i just wait for spare parts--- meanwhile i am using my go-pro-- but no gimbal.
what gimbal will be good for vision plus?

Re: VISION+ CAMERA AND GIMBAL IS JUNK -updates

well-- i don't mind for 20 minutes flight instead of 25-- if it means that the camera or gimbal will stay intact....
its really is a wick link, and no one can say other wise... the net is full of post-- just like us.
i recently got an e-mail from dji- says that i have to ask from the seller- service repair

the "fly away" thing is quite scary-- had the same situation as u 2.... now i am a bit afraid -- what if it will happen again... hope i'll be quick enough to turn gps of and control it manually...

anyhow-- i am still waiting for this service repair... or i just wait for spare parts--- meanwhile i am using my go-pro-- but no gimbal.
what gimbal will be good for vision plus?

bufi20

Any how
dji responded to my mail really quick, and told me that i should contact my seller
and ask for a service repair.

i contacted my seller again, and he was really nice, he offered me a rapair ( i dont know the price yet) and than they offer me to buy the ribbon cable for 200$,
i would buy the cable-- but still, it wont solve my tilt motor broken shaft problem.

still waiting for suggestions from them, but it seems like they really want to help

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie