Vision+ camera and and possibility to edit bitrate?

I had an hour or so time today to play with the camera. Weather was quite bad, really windy and heavy gusts but I went to a near by park and flied the bird for video test purposes.
I use litchi app and my cam settings were: 1080p30fps FOV=wide, ISO100, WB auto. I started the recording before take off but later I noticed that the recording had stopped couple of seconds after starting the recording.
I tried again three times and always got only a few seconds of video. The weird thing is that the camera recorded just fine indoors yesterday evening. Maybe today's problem is related to different SD-card that I used today. (lower write speed?)

Anyway, I noticed that when you click the video file, windows tells that average bitrate of 1080p30fps file is now around 20Mbps. I checked the 720p60fps clips that I made yesterday indoors and windows tells that average bitrate is around 18Mbps.

The 1080p30fps indoors video looked better to me than before, much better than the 720p60fps. Now I need to buy faster sd- card to rule out the possibility that the card is not fast enought for the higher write speeds. The card that worked ok was kingston class4 and the one that didn't was samsung class4.
Have you tried with stock dji app? I usually use litchi too

Same as mine but so what tells you that the flash of the modded one has been done?
1/ When powered phantom with inserted SD card with firmware file on it, yellow LED started to flash. When it finished, firmware file was renamed to firmware_plus.bin.bak00 , as it is noted in dji firmware update manual, indicating successful upgrade. Just to be sure, done it twice.
2/ Video files are bigger;
3/ It's subjective, but I think I can see increased contrast, especially, when filming inside.

In fact, firmware number should be same: mod changed contrast and bitrate, not firmware version number;

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX
Didn't tested this (now it's rainy here), but, in theory, what do you think: with this mod video quality increase should be bigger with 720p60 settings or with 1080p30 ?

I believe that the max bitrate for 720p60fps is set to 18 Mbps. In AFT (ambarella firmware toolbox) every resolution has its own defined bitrate value. It seems that the guy who made the modified fw set the 720p bitrate lower than the 1080p30fps (witch seems to be 20Mbps now).

If I have understood it right it's only a matter of trial and error to find corresponding resolution and bitrate value in AFT's bitrate table editor.

Reactions: Nerius
I believe that the max bitrate for 720p60fps is set to 18 Mbps. In AFT (ambarella firmware toolbox) every resolution has its own defined bitrate value. It seems that the guy who made the modified fw set the 720p bitrate lower than the 1080p30fps (witch seems to be 20Mbps now).

If I have understood it right it's only a matter of trial and error to find corresponding resolution and bitrate value in AFT's bitrate table editor.
Have you sorted out if the problem is litchi or the sd card?

So, if I'm correct, every resolution and fps combination has it's own bitrate value and in current modified firmware only 1080p30 bitrate value is increased, but all others are left untouched ? I.e. 720p30 and 720p60 bitrates are the same as in original dji firmware ? And what about contrast then: it's settings is global or also resolution dependent ?

So, if I'm correct, every resolution and fps combination has it's own bitrate value and in current modified firmware only 1080p30 bitrate value is increased, but all others are left untouched ? I.e. 720p30 and 720p60 bitrates are the same as in original dji firmware ? And what about contrast then: it's settings is global or also resolution dependent ?
Nerius can you please share your firmware_plus.bin? Thanks

Hmm... I'm not sure but I think that the bitrate for 720p was lower in original DJI firmware. The Russian guy (Falsifactor) on the dashcamtalk forum might have better answers, he modified the original DJI fw when I asked if it was possible to do.
Link to the dashcamtalk discussion is on the first page of this thread.

Reactions: Nerius
I bought a Sony 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 Micro SDHC card today and did some flying just before going to work. Now everything worked like a charm, no more stopped recordings. :) I will check the footage later in the evening and post link to it.... :)

Reactions: StevenQX
Tested the updated camera today and for me the improvement is clearly noticeable, video is more clear and colour rich...i would like to set the bitrate to the maximum permitted by the chipset

I agree but for my taste it has too much contrast now. All the white areas on picture lack detail, it's just plain blooming white. I can't figure out how Falsificator added contrast..... I'd like to get it a bit lower than the original value. Changing the bitrate seems to be very easy, I might try to pump it up to 25Mbps and see what happens.

I agree but for my taste it has too much contrast now. All the white areas on picture lack detail, it's just plain blooming white. I can't figure out how Falsificator added contrast..... I'd like to get it a bit lower than the original value. Changing the bitrate seems to be very easy, I might try to pump it up to 25Mbps and see what happens.
Ask him...you're inside that forum

Last edited:
Installed the newest "Falsificator" FW and it works.:) Now the contrast is more natural to my eyes and it looks like the picture has more detail in it. After flashing, the message "firmware update" popped to the live video screen but after boot it hasn't appeared anymore.

Installed the newest "Falsificator" FW and it works.:) Now the contrast is more natural to my eyes and it looks like the picture has more detail in it. After flashing, the message "firmware update" popped to the live video screen but after boot it hasn't appeared anymore.
Have you tried with litchi both in narrow and wide fov?

Reactions: Sky Media Drones

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost