Vision+ camera and and possibility to edit bitrate?

Hi Steven,
Made comparison of similar clip lengths and now it's about 2 MB/sec, vs 1.4MB/sec previously . Of course, it's hard to compare exactly, because of Auto ISO (if clip is filmed with higher ISO it always should be bigger, than with low ISO) and others factors, but 2MB/sec vs 1.4MB/sec is significant difference, so I think the main factor in size increase is bitrate increase.

Reactions: StevenQX
Hi Steven,
Made comparison of similar clip lengths and now it's about 2 MB/sec, vs 1.4MB/sec previously . Of course, it's hard to compare exactly, because of Auto ISO (if clip is filmed with higher ISO it always should be bigger, than with low ISO) and others factors, but 2MB/sec vs 1.4MB/sec is significant difference, so I think the main factor in size increase is bitrate increase.
Imho less compression should mean less artifacts...so more bitrate is not useless as someone says. I believe in your first opinion when you says at first look great improvement. I will flash it asap I'm on holiday now but I've the file and the quad with me. it has been necessary to rename the file in some way nerius?

Reactions: Mako79
I tried to update my FC200 but my camera refuses to update, no orange led at all. :-( I only have class 4 sd cards, maybe it needs a faster card? On the other hand the card that came with the phantom is only class 4. Go figure...
I prepared a clean formatted (FAT32) card with no folders in it, copied the firmware.bin to the root but nothing happens when I turn on the phantom.

Imho less compression should mean less artifacts...so more bitrate is not useless as someone says. I believe in your first opinion when you says at first look great improvement. I will flash it asap I'm on holiday now but I've the file and the quad with me. it has been necessary to rename the file in some way nerius?

Yes rename it to: firmware_plus.bin and put on SD card. I think you are right about bitrate increase and less artifacts, it should produce better picture especially when flying on higher speeds, filming moving leaves, or wheat field during windy days, for example: i.e. when picture changes more often. Quality increase should be more significant in more problematic filming conditions, when higher bitrate counts and not visible in almost steady shots. Also camera is the same, sensor is that same, so nobody should expect tremendous increase in quality, and, as I wrote before, I think with higher bitrate we will have more room for post production adjustments and thus better final movies.

I tried to update my FC200 but my camera refuses to update, no orange led at all. :-( I only have class 4 sd cards, maybe it needs a faster card? On the other hand the card that came with the phantom is only class 4. Go figure...
I prepared a clean formatted (FAT32) card with no folders in it, copied the firmware.bin to the root but nothing happens when I turn on the phantom.

Did you renamed it to: firmware_plus.bin ?

Also regarding better indoor picture: maybe it's related to increased contrast and higher bitrate better handles hight ISO ?

Also regarding better indoor picture: maybe it's related to increased contrast and higher bitrate better handles hight ISO ?
Have you noticed also an improvement in indoor filming? I think this should be related to contrast increased

Have you noticed also an improvement in indoor filming? I think this should be related to contrast increased

Yes. At first I tested camera indoors, just after upgrading firmware. When I wrote "camera producing much better picture now" it was my opinion after testing indoors only. Outdoors picture improvement in normal filming conditions are not so big like indoors IMHO. Maybe, as you wrote, it's contrast related. It would be useful to test new firmware at high speed flying, low light conditions etc.

Can we not just keep flashing new firmware indefinitely? If that's the case, what's the worry with testing out even higher bitrates? I can't forsee why testing out a higher bitrate could brick the camera. If anything it would experience a write error because the write speed of the SD card reader/writer wouldn't be able to keep up.

I wonder if then we can enable such things as 1080p at 60fps.

Edit: I've got a spare vision plus camera at home. I'm going to open it up and see exactly what Ambarella chipset is inside. I'm also wondering to what extent I'd be able to just replace the camera and sensor with a next gen Ambarella model...if it would work. A shot in the dark anyway.

Last edited:
For me don't work. I renamed the file firmware_plus.bin copied it in a empty sd started the phantom but camera keep flashing red and never stop. Tried to reboot the phantom but nothing changes. Now I've checked the sd card and I've 3 files inside. The firmware_plus.bin and two files called nvd_0.bin and nvd_1.bin...

Yes! I just flashed my p2v+ camera. :) Tomorrow, if weather allows flying, I will make some test video. I can't see any reason why we couldn't flash the camera as many times as se want. The 18Mbps bitrate was just something I thought might work reliably. FC200 might work with even higher bitrate.... Write speed and heat are the possible limitting issues.

For me don't work. I renamed the file firmware_plus.bin copied it in a empty sd started the phantom but camera keep flashing red and never stop. Tried to reboot the phantom but nothing changes. Now I've checked the sd card and I've 3 files inside. The firmware_plus.bin and two files called nvd_0.bin and nvd_1.bin...
Maybe you could try to reformat sd card using dji app, then remove card from phantom, connect to computer, copy firmware_plus.bin to it, then again insert into phantom and power on phantom to start update ? Or, if will not succeed again, is worth to try to re-update with dji original firmware: maybe it's sd card problem (but low probability, if card is working OK during video recording) ?

Maybe you could try to reformat sd card using dji app, then remove card from phantom, connect to computer, copy firmware_plus.bin to it, then again insert into phantom and power on phantom to start update ? Or, if will not succeed again, is worth to try to re-update with dji original firmware: maybe it's sd card problem (but low probability, if card is working OK during video recording) ?
I'll try again when at home after formatting the sd with the phantom. Yes sd and camera worked to record later...but camera was not updated.

Don't tell me I wasted money on the P3.

That's correct. 11mbs means its heavily compressing.
If you guys can pump higher bitrate = less compression = less artefacts.

Best way to test:
Use a class 10 UH1 card. This should cover anything below 40mbs.
Don't fly. Leave in an normal lit room in the same angle to make sure you are recording the same thing. Maybe tape down the skids.
Turn off all auto settings > Set ISO to 100, White balance = Cloud, 1080p wide @ 30fps etc. Record 1 minute with DJI firmware. Then record 1 minute with modded firmware. Download to PC and check the file size and then check quality.

I hope I haven't wasted money upgrading to a p3 Lol.

Don't tell me I wasted money on the P3.

That's correct. 11mbs means its heavily compressing.
If you guys can pump higher bitrate = less compression = less artefacts.

Best way to test:
Use a class 10 UH1 card. This should cover anything below 40mbs.
Don't fly. Leave in an normal lit room in the same angle to make sure you are recording the same thing. Maybe tape down the skids.
Turn off all auto settings > Set ISO to 100, White balance = Cloud, 1080p wide @ 30fps etc. Record 1 minute with DJI firmware. Then record 1 minute with modded firmware. Download to PC and check the file size and then check quality.

I hope I haven't wasted money upgrading to a p3 Lol.
Haha i don't think so...p3 is a step forward. Anyway with the p2 ambarella chipset is possible to achieve up to 24mbit. If this mods don't brick the cam I'm sure that we can push the cam to its limits. Ilovecoffee is a great modder and have a spare camera too...

I had an hour or so time today to play with the camera. Weather was quite bad, really windy and heavy gusts but I went to a near by park and flied the bird for video test purposes.
I use litchi app and my cam settings were: 1080p30fps FOV=wide, ISO100, WB auto. I started the recording before take off but later I noticed that the recording had stopped couple of seconds after starting the recording.
I tried again three times and always got only a few seconds of video. The weird thing is that the camera recorded just fine indoors yesterday evening. Maybe today's problem is related to different SD-card that I used today. (lower write speed?)

Anyway, I noticed that when you click the video file, windows tells that average bitrate of 1080p30fps file is now around 20Mbps. I checked the 720p60fps clips that I made yesterday indoors and windows tells that average bitrate is around 18Mbps.

The 1080p30fps indoors video looked better to me than before, much better than the 720p60fps. Now I need to buy faster sd- card to rule out the possibility that the card is not fast enought for the higher write speeds. The card that worked ok was kingston class4 and the one that didn't was samsung class4.

I had an hour or so time today to play with the camera. Weather was quite bad, really windy and heavy gusts but I went to a near by park and flied the bird for video test purposes.
I use litchi app and my cam settings were: 1080p30fps FOV=wide, ISO100, WB auto. I started the recording before take off but later I noticed that the recording had stopped couple of seconds after starting the recording.
I tried again three times and always got only a few seconds of video. The weird thing is that the camera recorded just fine indoors yesterday evening. Maybe today's problem is related to different SD-card that I used today. (lower write speed?)

Anyway, I noticed that when you click the video file, windows tells that average bitrate of 1080p30fps file is now around 20Mbps. I checked the 720p60fps clips that I made yesterday indoors and windows tells that average bitrate is around 18Mbps.

The 1080p30fps indoors video looked better to me than before, much better than the 720p60fps. Now I need to buy faster sd- card to rule out the possibility that the card is not fast enought for the higher write speeds. The card that worked ok was kingston class4 and the one that didn't was samsung class4.

It seems yours current card cannot handle higher writing speed. I'm using Sandisk Extreme U3 32GB card and everything is OK.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic