Vision App very hard to see

Reaction score
Bought the Amazon hood for smart phone but was disappjointed with the results on the first flight. I modified the hood with some foam board and flew again today. A little better but not usable yet. I have a GS4 with the brightness all the way up and even installed a matte anti-glare cover. Is it the phone or my eyes? Any ideas? Maybe a tablet is easier to see. I currently only have Fire Tablets so I would have to go out and buy a cheap Android model. I'm flying the Vision 2+ V3. I tried to include a link to a pic, not sure if it was done correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaxgb24qxx5ot ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Even larger tablets can be hard to see without a lot of shading. I made a sun box from a small cardboard box where I look into a slit in the top that is 2" x 8" long and in bright sunlight I can still see my reflection on the screen.

We'll obviously make sure you crank up the brightness on the iPhone (duh) and make sure Auto Brightness is off. I think the sunlight visibility on the 5 and 5s iPhones is better. I know by direct comparison that the 6+ Is much much better in direct sunlight than the iPhone 4.

I actually don't even use a sun shade on the 6+, but I mostly fly by site and only use the iPhone to frame shots - I rarely navigate by FPV. So I can deal with a little glare. I'll probably be back to a hood come spring/summer, but the 6+ is a great size and it's BRIGHT.

Sunny days make viewing my iPhone 5 screen a real chore. FPV is difficult and framing shots nigh impossible. The only half-workable solution short of buying expensive googles is to use a modified DSLR loupe. I tried using my Nexus 7 with a hood but all I see is my unshaven mug reflecting back at me.

I have had the reflection problem with an iPhone, Galaxy tablet, and iPad, and no protective "anti-glare" plastic sheet or commercially sold hood has ever helped. So I'll be making a new open-design sun hood today (as opposed to the sun box I had previously made) out of foamcore board, but with a slight modification. In order to prevent my own sun-lit face and background from being reflected back at me in the screen, I will be mounting the hood onto the tablet at a 70 degree angle (20 degrees from perpendicular) so any reflection I see will be the black interior top surface of the hood -- basically no reflection at all. This slight angling should not interfere with my view or operation of the tablet. I'll post a picture of it when finished. (See diagram below.)

Attachments

• SUNHOOD.jpg
    SUNHOOD.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 474
If you tilt the screen at 30Deg and view from the lower half the effect is the same.

4wd said:
I know it's kind of obvious but some shade helps.
You could consider an umbrella or something I suppose, but quite often standing by a vehicle etc makes things much better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 17.58.47.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 17.58.47.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 493
Unit tester at DJI?

I had the FC40 before the P2V+. I could see the FC40 picture better than the P2V+ picture. When I got the V+ It was very dark. I'm thinking I changed some setting for the camera and now things are not as dark. I am still messing with the camera settings trying to get optimal brightness. But I think changing the camera settings helps the view on the phone not just the recorded video.

I have had the same problem on three different devices. I mentioned to my wife who is an optician. She told me anything with uv coating will make things difficult. In addtion all my glasses have transistion lenses which she explained will make it difficult to see. I had her make me a pair of non uv / non transistion glasses and it is night and day difference. Not a single issue in Galaxy SII, Galaxy SIII or my Galaxy Tab 4.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj