Vision App radar gives wrong heading

Reaction score
I have repeatedly re-calibrated the compass and degassed but to no avail. The app heading continuously shows the bird be off from the app about 40-92 degrees. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence once hearing all the fly away stories on this board. I have observed the compass yaw while present a magnet and can see the compass is reacting to the magnet then once removed returns to its original data. Can someone shed some light on my issue?

thanks

kryan said:
I have repeatedly re-calibrated the compass and degassed but to no avail. The app heading continuously shows the bird be off from the app about 40-92 degrees. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence once hearing all the fly away stories on this board. I have observed the compass yaw while present a magnet and can see the compass is reacting to the magnet then once removed returns to its original data. Can someone shed some light on my issue?

thanks

Do you mean that the radar is off relative to you? The calculation I think might be a bearing to home point but I wouldn't expect you to be so far from home point to yield such a large error.

And just to be sure, you are referring to the little radar looking thing in the lower left of the Vision app screen?

I have been getting similar recently.. it will be headed right infront of me and the arrow will point up,then all of a sudden ut flicks 90 degrees and then comes back.. then 90 again etc etc.

Not sure what its problem is. This was 1 or 2 flights after adv IMU and recalibrated compass before that flight as I was like 30km from my normal area. Was just flying over grass..

BTW OP if you fly for a min or two does heading indicator right itsself?

Yes, to clarify....if I take the bird and put it on the edge of table pointing to the app north, the nose of the bird is off 40-92 degrees.

kenargo said:
kryan said:

thanks

Do you mean that the radar is off relative to you? The calculation I think might be a bearing to home point but I wouldn't expect you to be so far from home point to yield such a large error.

And just to be sure, you are referring to the little radar looking thing in the lower left of the Vision app screen?

Thanks for the reponse. Yes, if I start the app, do a calibration. I expect the bird direction to be consistent with the little radar thing. Especially if I might have to fly by that indicator.

Also calibrate the compass of your phone.
I had same problem and it was the phone.

justin00 said:
I have been getting similar recently.. it will be headed right infront of me and the arrow will point up,then all of a sudden ut flicks 90 degrees and then comes back.. then 90 again etc etc.

Not sure what its problem is. This was 1 or 2 flights after adv IMU and recalibrated compass before that flight as I was like 30km from my normal area. Was just flying over grass..

BTW OP if you fly for a min or two does heading indicator right itsself?

I've seen this when developing my new app and traced it down to the locations being too close. When the locations are close to one another the bearing calculation results in random values and results in a spinning of the bearing indicator. I solved this in my app by ignoring locations that are close, perhaps, in what you are seeing DJI isn't doing the same so you get the random bearing but it should become stable once it's outside the GPS limit for accuracy (a few meters).

robinb said:
Also calibrate the compass of your phone.
I had same problem and it was the phone.
exactly, was my case also, phone compass needs calibration

free android app "GPS Status" can do it, get it on Play, in case you have no menu button for that on your phone

Download GPS TEST / GPS status and one of the options is to calibrate phone under settings.

If your trying to calibrate an iPhone compass all you need to do is open up the compass app and it will ask you to recalibrate. If it doesn't, then close out the app and restart it. This is how I do it on my iPhone 5s. Good luck!

I used "gps status" app to delete phone gps stuff and readd..i think... i've got samsung S5 android 4.x.

went for flight earlier.. started up gps status (which is on in background) then DJI app.. had 10 satts and did compass calibration.. that was fine..

The heading was off exactly 180 degress... did another compas calibration and same thing.... started motors and fly for like 8 mins and then the heading corrected its self. Landed and rebooted phantom... heading was still perfect for rest of flight.. put in new battery and heading still fine..

something had to warm up abit.. I have seen this many times.. it corrects itself after a few mins. Are you sure the phone GPS has any affect? Im tempted to turn off GPS on phone and see..
what is the thing that takes a few mins this gives phantom correct heading???

kryan said:
OK, how do you calibrate a phone compass?

I have the same problem with my galaxy S4, but not with the Galaxy tablet. Not sure why. But I downloaded a free compass which clearly shows North on the wrong heading. To recalibrate, all I do is rotate the S4 a couple of turns in each of the 3 axis. Problem solved.

robinb said:
Yes the gps/compass in the phone is important.

Is there something I should do in 'gps status' ? I calibrated compass and delete the gps thingo.. can't remember what it was callded.

Seems odd it starts working after 8 mins... as I said its done that in the past to, before I had gps status as well.. so gps status doesn't seem to be doing much for me, perhaps I'm doing something wrong with it.

*edit* gone for a few more flights... its perfect so far.. didnt touch anything in gps status.. maybe its doing whatevr it does..
All thought has been perfect some flights anyways without gps status.. shall keep flying and see how it goesm

Seems to be working great now.... excellant tip getting 'GPS Status'... something, probably the app, seems to have fixed it up really good :)

thanks for the help.

Glad it worked out ok.

For what ever reason the samsung phones need help to show correct details.

Lol its back to not working........
Not sure what I am dupposed to do with gps status... its runnibg in background ... headibg is off again... worked well for few flights... fixs itsself after 10 mins.... kinda suspect its domething to do with quad....

Hmm think issue might be me rotating phone after I statt app.. need to keep horizobtal and then start... alltho started app.. pointing straight... closed.. start again pointing to side... closed start again and straight... sooo its possibke im startibg app then rotating phone is def problem!!

Ya Samsung s5... think I figured out issue... maybe...user error :) only took me 4 months lol :/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl