Vision 2+ with GoPro 3+

Reaction score
I am new to the quadcopter world but I am really enjoying my flight time. I purchased the Phantom 2 Vision + with the Zenmuse 3D Gimble in December of 2014 and I installed my GoPro 3+ in the Gimble. I am wanting to use my iPhone to see what the quad is seeing but after downloading the DJI App I can't get a link to the GoPro. Do I need to purchase additional hardware and antenna's in order to be able to use the DJI app to see what the quad is seeing or is there a setting I need to do in order to link the GoPro to the iPhone?

I am filming my project sites and my typical flight distance is usually within 500 feet and the quad is always in sight.

I think you have the Phantom 2 (non vision)
Do you have this on your RC?
You need it for video downlink ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 456
Hi there sitegrader, welcome to the forum, please done grade our site too harshly ;)

From what it sounds like you are a bit unsure as to what model you have. The vision + indeed comes with a 3d gimbal but not one designed for a go-pro. To me it sounds like you have the standard phantom 2 with the zenmuse. Aside from the camera hardware there are several fundamental differences between the two models.

Firstly the V2+ has a built in wifi transmitter which is what actually send information the the white box that M.Tigelaar has pointed out. This white box will only accept information from a vision camera (i.e. not a gopro).

The main difference however is the frequency that the two models operate on. As in how the uav is piloted. The Vision series use 5.8ghz for control and a 2.4ghz wifi system for video viewing. The standard phantom 2 with zenmuse uses 2.4ghz for control. Which is where you may run into a big problem. While you can get live view from your gopro (to the gopro app) the go pro wifi operates on the same 2.4ghz frequency that the phantom 2 runs on, meaning that these can interfere resulting in undesirable control followed by a crash or a fly away. If you have a 2.4ghz phantom you should under no circumstances fly with a go pro with its wifi turned on for this reason.

Fortunately for you though if you do indeed have a phantom 2 (non vision) you can run a proper 5.8ghz fpv system from it allowing you to see live view with a much lower ping (delay) to it. If that is something you are interested in just let me know and ill give you the run down! I feel I may already be sending people to sleep with this essay! Hope I have made things easy enough to understand!

Sitegrader said:
I am new to the quadcopter world but I am really enjoying my flight time. I purchased the Phantom 2 Vision + with the Zenmuse 3D Gimble in December of 2014 and I installed my GoPro 3+ in the Gimble. I am wanting to use my iPhone to see what the quad is seeing

hi mate, welcome. I'm afraid there's a little confusion here as to Phantom models so I'm going to lay it all out for you:

The Phantom 2 VISION series (Vision and Vision+) have a built in camera and gimbal (the "vision camera") which is not designed to be removed or swapped. The Vision series Phantoms never come bundled with a Zenmuse gimbal. Vision series run their RC control on 5.8ghz and use wifi (2.4ghz) to broadcast to the app.

The non-Vision Phantom 2 series are the ones designed to add a gimbal and gopro, usually bundled with a Zenmuse gimbal. non-Vision series run their RC on 2.4ghz (same as wifi) and therefore is NOT designed to use 2.4Ghz (wifi) for FPV. There should be warnings all over the documentation to NOT turn on the gopro's wifi during flight as it will conflict with the RC.
For this reason those of us with non-Vision P2's must add a separate 5.8ghz broadcast FPV system. Transmitter, iOSD, PnP cable to tie it all together, a little LCD display/receiver, mount for your RC, and antennas all around (transmit and receive).

The advantage of the Vision series is ease of use and the app control giving you some cool features during flight including start/stop recording.
The advantage of the non-Vision series is the FPV Range is much better and the quality if the videos recorded on the gopro are magnitudes better than the Vision camera. We do NOT control the camera itself (start/stop) during flight. press record, fly, trim videos later.

Sounds to me like you don't actually have a Vision series since it has a gimbal+gopro... unless you bought it used and heavily modified. It IS possible to mod a Vision series over to a gimbal+gopro but you still don't get app control.

^^
Is this not what I said before? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers