Vision 2+ wifi units fix and why they are dying.

phantompanic said:
Well be interested in the video, thanks eyecon82!

Finally uploaded...it was a 8gb file since it was in 1080p and 40 mins long and uploading failed overnight last night and then again while at work

It has finally uploaded, but now is in the processing stage

http://youtu.be/hLTmzQV-lYo

eyecon82 said:
phantompanic said:

Finally uploaded...it was a 8gb file since it was in 1080p and 40 mins long and uploading failed overnight last night and then again while at work

Excellent... I am on hughes net out here in the wilderness. I will have to watch it in town tomorrow or my bandwidth will be capped. :)

burlbark said:
eyecon82 said:
phantompanic said:

Excellent... I am on hughes net out here in the wilderness. I will have to watch it in town tomorrow or my bandwidth will be capped. :)
at what point would you say it is too late to fix a wifi card? or at what point has too much damage occurred?

Thats anyone guess.... Heat cycles kill all electronics. Its better if it all goes at once than if its a slow death gradually losing range. Some of them may just have a lifted component that needs a couple quarters put on it and reflowed.

Burlbark, I had a thermal pad on the black board, but I didn't put it back on since I was putting the compound on. Should I have put the thermal pad on top of the compound? Thanks

Thank you, Burlbark. My first Phantom 2 vision+ lost video feed after about 20 flights. The last time it worked correctly was a hot day here in Texas. I followed your advice and applied Arctic Silver to all the parts and got it to work sporadically. I just got my new transmitter in the mail from Hong Kong today so I will be doing the modifications before installing the new transmitter on my original Phantom. On my second (backup) Vision+ I just did the mods last night and checked it out - it works perfectly so I hopefully saved the components from future heat problems. Anyway, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this information. I'll post the results of the new transmitter and whether it cured my video feed problem ASAP. Bill

Well crap, I'm still having issues after properly heatsinking my wifi card. I get great fpv/telemetry within a 200 foot range it.

Once I go past it, it disappears and my wife disconnects.

Once I'm back within the 200 foot range, it works properly again. Any ideas?

CityZen said:
Are you sure both antennas are plugged in properly and otherwise working okay?
Yep. Both plugged in tight. I doubt both antennas could fail that badly?

Actual rc transmission works fine.

The fact that it comes back once within a certain range suggests that this is a tx/rx issue (not a heat-related issue).

You should test unplugging one antenna at a time and see how this affects the behavior.

CityZen said:
The fact that it comes back once within a certain range suggests that this is a tx/rx issue (not a heat-related issue).

You should test unplugging one antenna at a time and see how this affects the behavior.

Yes, I'm going to try this later.

That is why I was questioning that my wifi card burnt up, because it does work and works well, at very close range

eyecon82 said:
Well crap, I'm still having issues after properly heatsinking my wifi card. I get great fpv/telemetry within a 200 foot range it.

OK GUYS...wow.....

so I just changed my 2 FPVLR antennas with the 8dcb TP Link ones and my FPV is back!! so something is wrong with these 2 FPVLR antennas for sure!!

the one that has the actual RC transmission works perfectly, however, the 2 that go on the wifi extender are failing or don't work somehow

here is a picture of the FPVLR ones swapped out for the TP link ones and the TP link ones work wonderfully...

so at this point, after

1. taking apart the whole bird

2. heatsinking the wifi unit

3. rebinding multiple times

4. uninstalling and reinstalling DJI app multiple times

5. using different phones, iphone, ipad, samsung tab, galaxy phone, etc

6. using different SD cards

7. Checking every connection with a volt-meter (DVOM)

7. wasting literally, at least 30 hours of my life

and the whole time it was the FPVLR antennas........I bought these 2nd hand off ebay, and I do not mean any offense to Tony, but there is something definitely wrong......

just so you know...nothing is wrong with the bird...it was the antennas the whole time....yikes! :cry:

Attachments

• 20141112_225027.jpg
    20141112_225027.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 525
eyecon82 said:
eyecon82 said:

OK GUYS...wow.....

so I just changed my 2 FPVLR antennas with the 8dcb TP Link ones and my FPV is back!! so something is wrong with these 2 FPVLR antennas for sure!!

the one that has the actual RC transmission works perfectly, however, the 2 that go on the wifi extender are failing or don't work somehow

here is a picture of the FPVLR ones swapped out for the TP link ones and the TP link ones work wonderfully...

so at this point, after

and the whole time it was the FPVLR antennas........I bought these 2nd hand off ebay, and I do not mean any offense to Tony, but there is something definitely wrong......

just so you know...nothing is wrong with the bird...it was the antennas the whole time....yikes! :cry:

You didnt waste anything my friend.... You learned an immense amount of data. You have saved your wifi from the likely death of failure by self consumption.

Your video will save numerous users from experiencing the grief that so many have felt. :D

FPVLR said:
eyecon82 said:
eyecon82 said:

OK GUYS...wow.....

so at this point, after

Damaged antennas can be replaced in warranty free of charge....
Just too care of you through our phone conversation.
Thanks so much Tony. You create wonderful products.

The issue clearly here was the ebay user selling damaged antennas ad brand new.

If you are running damaged antennas for any length of time you risk burning up your wifi module.

Tony backs his product, thats for sure.

burlbark said:
If you are running damaged antennas for any length of time you risk burning up your wifi module.

great, so just more proof that I got scammed by this ebay user. Ugh.

This scammer not only let me waste money on the antennas, but he is the direct cause of Me burning up my range extender.

eyecon82 said:
burlbark said:

This scammer not only let me waste money on the antennas, but he is the direct cause of Me burning up my range extender.

The range extender is the cheapest part you could have lost. I hate scammers and I would start a paypal claim against him immediately.

burlbark said:
eyecon82 said:
burlbark said:

The range extender is the cheapest part you could have lost. I hate scammers and I would start a paypal claim against him immediately.
Yep, did that immedietly. Both of our money is frozen right now till they resolve the dispute

I guess you're right, if I was going to break something, I rather it be the range extender

this is the new wifi module on p2v+ v3.0. Should make our phantom wifi life longer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 651

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl