Vimeo or Youtube

Reaction score
Vimeo or Youtube. Which is easier to use. Which shows your video better. I'd appreciate your input .

Hovtech said:
Does Vimeo have that smoothing effect that youtube has?

No but that is the worst thing to come to youtube in a long time. Funky heavily warped up videos are worse than shakey videos IMO

Vimeo has much higher video quality but Youtube -can- get you more exposure. Honestly, I would upload to both.

Personally, I don't use Vimeo because they have ridiculous restrictions on what you can post. I use all royalty free music, but since *I* don't own the copyright, they will pull my video. This doesn't make any sense, I give proper credit for using the music.

jengo said:
Vimeo has much higher video quality but Youtube -can- get you more exposure. Honestly, I would upload to both.

Personally, I don't use Vimeo because they have ridiculous restrictions on what you can post. I use all royalty free music, but since *I* don't own the copyright, they will pull my video. This doesn't make any sense, I give proper credit for using the music.

Really!? I've had the exact opposite experience... never have had an issue with using any kind of music on Vimeo. But I've had stuff pulled on youtube for using copyrighted music.

DesertFlyer53 said:
jengo said:

Really!? I've had the exact opposite experience... never have had an issue with using any kind of music on Vimeo. But I've had stuff pulled on youtube for using copyrighted music.

Well sure, if its copyrighted you can get it pulled from both places. I am just saying that Vimeo pulled two of my videos because I didn't personally own the copyright. I had the rights to use it, but they didn't really care.

With a free Vimeo account you can't embed an HD version (they can see it in HD if you use a link)
Also 720p is the highest resolution which is starting to seem a bit small IMO.
Vimeo definitely playback is better, almost as good as from your own machine.
Youtube are notorious for compressing excessively and I've noticed 'moving camera' scenes are a particular problem area.

DesertFlyer53 said:
jengo said:

ditto.

never had vimeo pull down my videos. youtube seems to be more restrictive.

DesertFlyer53 said:

this has been my experience so far.

I love Vimeo, the only downside, and totally worth it IMHO is you have to pay $60-ish a year for their pro version so that you can upload videos in full HD.

Also, it's typically where I upload my YouTube videos after they censor it in certain countries because of the music.

Vimeo needs more bandwidth. In the week I have a crap 2MB connection and it's unwatchable. Youtube however is a far more usable experience... :arrow:

Seahorse said:
Vimeo needs more bandwidth. In the week I have a crap 2MB connection and it's unwatchable. Youtube however is a far more usable experience... :arrow:

That's you that needs more bandwidth then, not Vimeo lmao.

The reason Youtube works better on a **** connection, is because they heavily compress the file, so it doesn't take as long to download (stream / watch), resulting in a worse quality video.

davemcm said:
Seahorse said:

The reason Youtube works better on a **** connection, is because they heavily compress the file, so it doesn't take as long to download (stream / watch), resulting in a worse quality video.

How is their poor compression my fault? One plays, one doesn't. Sat at home I get 160 Mbps, both work fine. During the week on a connection I don't own or control only one works. Most people don't have particularly good broadband in the first place afaics.

Guess which one is better on **** connections - YouTube.

Now feel free to tell me everyone has great connections or they can upgrade something they don't own. You also gloss over the free v fee difference between the two...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Seahorse said:
davemcm said:
Seahorse said:

How is their poor compression my fault? One plays, one doesn't. Sat at home I get 160 Mbps, both work fine. During the week on a connection I don't own or control only one works. Most people don't have particularly good broadband in the first place afaics.

Guess which one is better on **** connections - YouTube.

Now feel free to tell me everyone has great connections...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's not poor compression, it's less compression, hence why your videos look better on vimeo (but don't play as well on a bad connection)

It's a compromise, Youtube heavily compress so as to make it available to everyone (even people on slow broadband), whereas Vimeo chooses not to compress as much, resulting in a larger file, which slow broadband cannot download quick enough and process quick enough to give you smooth video.

I couldn't possibly comment on broadband connections around the world, but I know both Youtube 1080p and Vimeo HD (be it 720p or 1080p) work fine both at home and mobile over 3G / 4G in most areas around the UK.

Edit: also, as to the price difference, even the 720p free account HD videos usually look much better than Youtube's heavily compressed 1080p version of the same video.

4wd said:
Another difference for slow connections is that youtube no longer allows the whole thing to buffer - it just goes on a little way then waits for you to play that bit.
Vimeo still buffers the whole thing if you wait.

Love that about Vimeo. :)

DesertFlyer53 said:
4wd said:
Another difference for slow connections is that youtube no longer allows the whole thing to buffer - it just goes on a little way then waits for you to play that bit.
Vimeo still buffers the whole thing if you wait.

Love that about Vimeo. :)
+1
I live in the country and can't get truly high speed internet, but can usually get >2-3 Mbps on my wireless broadband. With Vimeo I can at least let it load most of the video before I begin playing it so it plays uninterrupted. Youtube, no way, although it will usually play OK if I let it max out what buffer it allows. Sometimes it still reverts to non-HD even. I prefer Vimeo for HD playback. Plus, Youtube is blocked on our work network, Vimeo is not! :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20