Videos and Privacy, something to consider

Reaction score
I am very appreciative as I am sure most here are of the amazing videos I see posted up, with links to youtube or vimeo

This is just a heads up, or maybe even a suggestion.

When editing your videos before posting, think about cutting out the take off if you are launching from your home.
It is easy to determine your exact location with very little information provided.
Some cityscapes are easily recognized and a bit of work can pinpoint exactly where you are in that city, even if you don't give your address, looking on google earth can compare your home, your neighbors and the neighborhood.

So, in the best interest of your own privacy, unless you really don't care, think about editing out your take off and landing.

Now if you are out in a park or away from your place of business or home, then this doesn't really apply

Just something to think about and consider.

Example, I just saw 2 videos from someone in Hawaii, and it was easy to determine his exact location, not so sure that this is what he wanted the world to see.

Reactions: Ti22 and Janine
I am very appreciative as I am sure most here are of the amazing videos I see posted up, with links to youtube or vimeo

This is just a heads up, or maybe even a suggestion.

When editing your videos before posting, think about cutting out the take off if you are launching from your home.
It is easy to determine your exact location with very little information provided.
Some cityscapes are easily recognized and a bit of work can pinpoint exactly where you are in that city, even if you don't give your address, looking on google earth can compare your home, your neighbors and the neighborhood.

So, in the best interest of your own privacy, unless you really don't care, think about editing out your take off and landing.

Now if you are out in a park or away from your place of business or home, then this doesn't really apply

Just something to think about and consider.

Example, I just saw 2 videos from someone in Hawaii, and it was easy to determine his exact location, not so sure that this is what he wanted the world to see.
I agree....and in the phantom 3 the metadata gives exact coordinates......so be weary of posting raw video links because once downloaded all the info is available to the viewer.
Wish there was an option to turn off that data like my Note 4

It's a good suggestion for sure, unless you're like me and have several layers of home defense and generally aren't to worried about unwanted guests.

If they make it past the first two layers of defense...... Well, the third one is a real heart stopper! Lol!

Reactions: Ti22 and Janine
What makes my house a better target then the thousands of others... much closer? Is it just because I have a DJI Phantom? It's not like I'm showing everyone where my secret gold vault is located in the basement of my house toward the southeast corner.

What makes my house a better target then the thousands of others... much closer? Is it just because I have a DJI Phantom? It's not like I'm showing everyone where my secret gold vault is located in the basement of my house toward the southeast corner.
you missed my point
some people, in their eagerness to upload their flights, forget about their privacy.
If you don't care if someone knows where you live, then go ahead and uplead your coordinates to your hearts content.

this thread was just a suggestion for some that have not thought of the privacy issue in uploading videos

most people prefer to remain anonymous, yourself included or you would have your real name instead of tcope :)

Reactions: Ti22 and AmosMoses
Let me preface this by saying that you make a good and valid point. People should indeed understand exactly what they are posting when they post it and this sort of technology makes it extremely easy for anyone to post a video without really understanding what data is being posted along with the video. So good on you for pointing it out.

That being said, I still don't really understand why anyone who truly understands the reality of the situation would ever care that someone on the internet might be able to figure out where they live. I know you tried to explain it in your response to tcope. But your response just isn't doing it for me as far as making me understand why anyone in their right mind would care.

Some years back when she still alive my sister called me once. She was very concerned because she knew that I posted lots of photos online and she'd just seen a 6 o-clock news segment which said that certain cameras would embed GPS data in the photo and that people could unknowingly post their location or the location of their home online for all to see when they uploaded said photos. I asked her why I should care. She said it meant anyone could find my address. I then asked her if her home phone number was in the phonebook. She said yes. I asked if it made her nervous that anyone could open a phonebook and look up her name and know her exact address. She said no. I asked again why I should care about photos I posted. She couldn't tell me.

There are reasons I don't use my real name online in forums such as this as well as on flickr and other places where I post images. But those reasons have everything to do with my present and future employers and absolutely nothing to do with my home address.

ok, I will try to explain my thought

your name in a phonebook, is just a name amongst thousands, along with address, yes and telephone number.
300 John Smiths, 75 Jane Does etc...
Can't get any personal information from that, unless I visit the address and scope you out.

a video, shows a lot more information, that was my point
a picture is worth a thousand words

No doubt your observations are valid. I just don't worry about it

Reactions: GoodnNuff
ok, I will try to explain my thought

your name in a phonebook, is just a name amongst thousands, along with address, yes and telephone number.
300 John Smiths, 75 Jane Does etc...
Can't get any personal information from that, unless I visit the address and scope you out.

a video, shows a lot more information, that was my point
a picture is worth a thousand words
Yep, still not doing it for me. Someone looking at an image I posted and being able to figure out exactly where live in no way exposes me to any risk I wasn't already exposed to. I get that people think its creepy. But there is simply no risk exposure that wasn't already there all along.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Ti22
Yep, still not doing it for me. Someone looking at an image I posted and being able to figure out exactly where live in no way exposes me to any risk I wasn't already exposed to. I get that people think its creepy. But there is simply no risk exposure that wasn't already there all along.
That video is not showing my pass codes, PIN #'s, CC account #'s, banking info, or the XXX rated selfies I have on my phone.
In less than a minute I can take a name, find an address, google earth it and see the same thing. Give me another few seconds and I can Zillow the address and get an even better idea of who you are and what the interior of your house might look like.
But I'd still crop out my home launches and landings simply because I don't want you to see that I've been out flying and not weeding the yard!

my original post was just a heads up to those that care,
if you don't care, then move along, nothing to see here
Have a good day

Last edited:
Have a good day
One thing I've learned around here is not to take what most of us yahoos say personally. You've made a valid point that I agree, some people may not take into consideration when posting videos and pictures online BUT just like when you do ya open up yourself to all the yahoos of the world, same goes for around here.
You posted a reasonable suggestion for people to consider and opened yourself up to all us yahoos. Who by the way seem to be a tough bunch! Lol!!
[emoji33]

Reactions: Torcan
Have a good day
Torcan is right. Don't be too easy when it comes to privacy. Here there might be normal people taking part, but out there in the real world there are some crazy people.

Reactions: Torcan
I guess its good to be mindfull of some of these things But then again I cant see how any one could figure out what house is mine just from a video of me taking off from the street out side were there are lots of houses around on both sides of the street. And I also can see any reason any one that lives far away would care to even want to try and see ware I live esp being they are not going to find some internet page that says they can come try and try to rob my phantoms without possibly dieing or at least ending up in the back of an ambulance or in jail.

Plus even if I never post any videos online it still dont stop any one that's near me from known oh the guy on 5th ave is flying his drone. and any one that's ever seen me go in or out my front door can already take a big wild guess that it must be were I live. and even then all they know is I probably live in one of the apartments in my building. But which one? If they want to try and rob my house and they get to the wrong apt then they get to possibly die or get the crap kicked out of them if they pick my tenants apt by mistake. Who is a big biker dude.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik