Video won't playback

Reaction score
Hi Phantom Pilots! I'm a noob to this forum from Vancouver, BC Canada. Got my P2V+ a few days ago. Love flying it. My only frustration right now is video playback. Sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't. When I play it back on VLC it says "VLC does not support this video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this." Really strange as I have recorded three 15 minute videos at 1080p 30fps already with no playback issues. Then yesterday I flew it, hit record, shot 14 minutes of footage only to find out that it will not playback! GRRRRR!!!! :x

So here's what I did: reset app settings to default, reformat the factory 4GB SD card. Then I turned on the Phantom and the Vision app and recorded some footage indoor for about 2 minutes. Played back no problem. So I'm thinking to myself it's fixed. Boy was I wrong! Took it out for flight, hit record, shot about 12 minutes of footage, brought it back home again...only to find that the video will not playback. What the heck???? :roll: FYI- I am using default settings on the Vision app. Recording video at 1080p (30fps).

Does this sound like a SD card issue? Shall I purchase a class 10 SD card? Is there a chance that factory SD card is faulty? Your thoughts?

Get a class 10 card by all means but this could be down to something much more simple and quite common. Did you press the record button on the phone to stop recording or did you just turn off the battery? A lot of people make this mistake at the start. You must stop the recording before turning off the battery otherwise the video file isnt finalised and wont be able to be played back.

i had that message once, it occured after i powered down the phantom without stopping the recording on the camera first, there were other videos taken during the same flight which worked ok and those i had stopped recording with the phantom powered up. i wondered if when you stop the video it using the on screen controls it 'finishes' the recording somehow??? this happened retrieving the videos by unmounting the SD card and not using the USB cable.

another possible which i didn't try was seeing if it made any difference by retrieving the video using the USB lead into the camera rather than unmounting the card and using a card reader??

EDIT, i should have read the last sentence of the previous post before posting :oops:

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Get a class 10 card by all means but this could be down to something much more simple and quite common. Did you press the record button on the phone to stop recording or did you just turn off the battery? A lot of people make this mistake at the start. You must stop the recording before turning off the battery otherwise the video file isnt finalised and wont be able to be played back.
Also, it should be noted that the aforementioned problem can be fixed. Put the micro SD card back in the Phantom. Power up the battery. You don't even need to turn on the transmitter, but do remember to remove the gimbal lock. Wait a minute or so, and the camera on the Phantom will finalize the video file. You may lose a few seconds at the end of the video file, but it will play just fine.

If what the fine gentlemen above suggested doesn't work, search this forum for "Corrupted video" and you'll find your answer.

Werz said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Also, it should be noted that the aforementioned problem can be fixed. Put the micro SD card back in the Phantom. Power up the battery. You don't even need to turn on the transmitter, but do remember to remove the gimbal lock. Wait a minute or so, and the camera on the Phantom will finalize the video file. You may lose a few seconds at the end of the video file, but it will play just fine.

Thanks for the tip but I've powered up the Phantom a few times since while connected to the computer. If it actually finalizes the video, it would have done it already. I see no difference, I'm afraid :(

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. I think that's exactly what I have done! I'm not 100% sure though. I'll make sure to stop recording before powering off the Phantom next time :) Hope that solves the problem. Cheers!

D_Tshudy said:
If what the fine gentlemen above suggested doesn't work, search this forum for "Corrupted video" and you'll find your answer.

I've done all that. Downloaded 4 different MP4 and video file repair programs. None of them recognize the file unfortunately. VLC is right- you cannot fix the file.

Normally to finalise the recording if you forgot to press stop via the app, you have to put the card straight back and power the phantom back on for 30 seconds, if this works you will more than likely lose the last 30 seconds of the video. I'd say its most likely that you just simply forgot to stop the recording. As I said its a very common problem with new flyers because there can be a lot of other things on your mind while learning to fly.

papaalpha said:
D_Tshudy said:

I've done all that. Downloaded 4 different MP4 and video file repair programs. None of them recognize the file unfortunately. VLC is right- you cannot fix the file.

Not true. Do-It-Yourself Video Repair Software (VRT) at http://grauonline.de/ just plain works. It's a nice little piece of software. Important!! In repair options, choose "Enable AVC1 single mode" as the Phantom 2 Vision + uses the AVC codec.

papaalpha said:
Werz said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Thanks for the tip but I've powered up the Phantom a few times since while connected to the computer. If it actually finalizes the video, it would have done it already. I see no difference, I'm afraid :(
I cannot say for sure, but it is possible that this method will not work if the Phantom is connected to the computer by the USB cable. You may want to try it by just powering up the Phantom with nothing connected except the micro SD card in the slot: no USB cable, no transmitter. It has worked twice for me. The last time was on Saturday, when I was so anxious to get the Phantom out of the rain that I forgot to turn off the video. That mistake was confirmed when I transferred the file the computer, and the media player would not play it.

D_Tshudy said:
papaalpha said:
D_Tshudy said:

Not true. Do-It-Yourself Video Repair Software (VRT) at http://grauonline.de/ just plain works. It's a nice little piece of software. Important!! In repair options, choose "Enable AVC1 single mode" as the Phantom 2 Vision + uses the AVC codec.

Downloaded and tried it...it did work but repaired video is extremely choppy. I understand you have to try different reference videos to get it right. Some experimentation is required. Thank you for the tip but I will just fly and shoot again:)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Normally to finalise the recording if you forgot to press stop via the app, you have to put the card straight back and power the phantom back on for 30 seconds, if this works you will more than likely lose the last 30 seconds of the video. I'd say its most likely that you just simply forgot to stop the recording. As I said its a very common problem with new flyers because there can be a lot of other things on your mind while learning to fly.

Yes you are bang on. I just flew for a sunset shoot.....worked this time! I did turn off the Phantom before stopping the app recording. Now I know! I'm a happy camper again! :D CHeers!

papaalpha said:
D_Tshudy said:

Downloaded and tried it...it did work but repaired video is extremely choppy. I understand you have to try different reference videos to get it right. Some experimentation is required. Thank you for the tip but I will just fly and shoot again:)

Run it through the repair tool a second time to fix the choppy playback.

D_Tshudy said:
papaalpha said:
D_Tshudy said:

Run it through the repair tool a second time to fix the choppy playback.

Well well well....it worked!!!! :D Thank you very much!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20