Video without compression available?

Reaction score
Everytime i see a youtube video and vimeo video and i go full screen i see the compression "blocks"...
Is there some raw footage uploaded somewhere that didn't compress the original file?
I wonder what the quality is coming straight from the phantom vision.

borgqueenx said:
Alright thanks. I would love to see some original footage then...
Does anyone have this?

The problem with original footage is file size.
An average flight for me will result in a file approx 3gb.
As my adsl is crap I wont be uploading raw footage for a while :D

borgqueenx said:
Everytime i see a youtube video and vimeo video and i go full screen i see the compression "blocks"...
Is there some raw footage uploaded somewhere that didn't compress the original file?
I wonder what the quality is coming straight from the phantom vision.

If the poster has uploaded the video in YoutubeHD then the video should look ok at fullscreen.
Youtube seems to auto detect your download speed and play the video accordingly.
You do need decent bandwidth to play it though.

I just want to see if the camera itself compresses so badly or if youtube does it.
Just watch on a big tv or monitor and you will see how badly it is. if the phantom is hanging in air looking at one direction it's fine. but turn around or go forwards and you will see alot of compression blocks and grass for example fades away into one big blob of green instead of grass.

borgqueenx said:
I just want to see if the camera itself compresses so badly or if youtube does it.
Just watch on a big tv or monitor and you will see how badly it is. if the phantom is hanging in air looking at one direction it's fine. but turn around or go forwards and you will see alot of compression blocks and grass for example fades away into one big blob of green instead of grass.

I'll bet you anything it's Youtube. I shoot on DSLRs, sub-pro grade camcorders, and of course my GoPro. All footage looks amazing when played back locally. Once uploaded to Youtube the quality gets dramatically sliced. It's a shame because we're only seeing a portion of what quality our equipment can offer when sharing our projects.

ericdes said:
What camera are you talking about.

I presume because he said "I wonder what the quality is coming straight from the phantom vision." in the original post, that is the camera he is talking about.

Yeah i talk about the phantom vision camera. I'd like to see some original 1080 footage and compare to something on youtube if possible.
Can someone help me with this?

What you want to know is the bit rate that the camera records video. For example the GoPro Hero 3+ Black will record up to 45Mpbs in Protune mode. Even if Youtube compresses everything down which it does, you want to start with as much detail as you can.

Yes, it's probaly the bitrate where youtube slices pieces off...
Still i wonder how big the difference is and would love to see something thats on youtube, and then see the original file of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1