Video Without Cellular Service

Reaction score
I often shoot in isolated areas with no cellular service. I lose realtime video monitoring ability fairly quickly, and the wifi lag makes the monitor almost useless. Is there a practical (i.e. cheap) solution that can provide long-distance, low/medium res video monitoring at let's say 300 meters?

Thanks

Last edited:
What model Phantom are you flying and with what camera and FPV set up. Is it a stock Phantom2 vision plus and another model?

I often shoot in isolated areas with no cellular service. I lose realtime video monitoring ability fairly quickly, and the wifi lag makes the monitor almost useless.
Whether you have cell service or not makes zero difference to Phantom flying.
The first obvious thing to check is that you have your antenna oriented correctly.
Is there a practical (i.e. cheap) solution that can provide long-distance, low/medium res video monitoring at let's say 300 meters?
If you are using a P2 properly, you should be able to get 500+ metres.
The practical solution is the P3A (or Pro) which can get 5000+ metres in open areas.

It is a stock Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Thanks for the information. I really am confused about the role of cellular service which the "boosters" that DJI and FPV View apparently use?

It is a stock Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Thanks for the information. I really am confused about the role of cellular service which the "boosters" that DJI and FPV View apparently use?
The boosting is happening to the wifi signal, which the bird creates and your device joins. Has nothing to do w/ cellular.

I can't figure out where I got that idea but thanks for straightening me out. Anyway, it leaves me wondering why my signal in Africa is so much worse than my signal in California.

I can't figure out where I got that idea but thanks for straightening me out. Anyway, it leaves me wondering why my signal in Africa is so much worse than my signal in California.
Because Africa isn't California. Any number of environmental factors could affect the signal strength. Is your signal weak no matter where you fly in Africa?

Because Africa isn't California. Any number of environmental factors could affect the signal strength. Is your signal weak no matter where you fly in Africa?
Similar problem in Italy. Anyway I'm switching to a different machine, perhaps the Typhoon 4k. Interesting to see if the problem persists.

My understanding is, the main advantage to actually using a cell phone over a monitor that is not a cell phone is the google maps capability. Your monitor may have GPS but it can't show you a map of the area without a cell phone connection or wifi connection.

You can overcome this by using your device to look at the mapped area you wish to fly in while in a wifi location ahead of time. The images you see will cache into your device's storage and later when you are at the remote site and go to look at your map via GPS, the map will already be in your device, so it will come up and you'll be able to see it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.