Video Wibble Wobble

Hi Guys

So I've just been out again. I tried the following different combinations to see if it made any difference (all at 100m altitude using the Litchi app);

- 4K with GPS (P Mode) = Wobble!
- 4K without GPS (ATTI A Mode) = Wobble!
- 1080 With GPS (P Mode) = Wobble!
- 1080 4K without GPS (ATTI A Mode) = Wobble!

So I then used the Litchi orbit feature and waypoint feature, and to my untrained eye I’m convinced there is no Wobble?!?! I’ve attached the videos below for you to judge;

Waypoints
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Orbit
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What do you guys think – anything further I can do to help?

Andy

Sorry to say but this looks bad. Prop/vibration/gimbal.. Something is not right.

P3, when works, should be really really stable

Sorry to say but this looks bad. Prop/vibration/gimbal.. Something is not right.

P3, when works, should be really really stable

Thanks; what about the fact that when Litchi flys for me it seems to look OK; or would you say that they also look bad?

Anyway; I'll contact DJI when I can (I'm away for work for a couple of days), and see what they say. Untill then if anyone has any advice it would be great!

Have you tried an ND filter? Sunny days give you a fast shutter speed and this can show up as jello or wobble on the video. An ND filter reduces the light and gives you a slower shutter speed and less or no jello. And balancing the props is a good idea as well.

Id say you still have wobble going on, definitely less pronounced though, some people say calibrating the gimbal mid-air is a good fix for some issues related to it

I still think it's a software/tolerance issue.

If you hover the Phantom using the GO app at eye level, can you see the copter wobbling?

I would play with the Exp/Gain settings under advanced and lower the values a bit They are somewhat explained in this user-created manual: http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/dji-phantom-p3-summary-guide-pdf.29558/.

Worst case you can always reset the values to defaults.

Id say you still have wobble going on, definitely less pronounced though, some people say calibrating the gimbal mid-air is a good fix for some issues related to it

Only calibration I haven’t done is the compass calibration (since I first done it after purchase). I will redo it before my next flight see if it makes any difference

I still think it's a software/tolerance issue.

If you hover the Phantom using the GO app at eye level, can you see the copter wobbling?

I would play with the Exp/Gain settings under advanced and lower the values a bit They are somewhat explained in this user-created manual: http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/dji-phantom-p3-summary-guide-pdf.29558/.

Worst case you can always reset the values to defaults.

I'll give this a go in my next flight aswell as the compass calibration.

Thanks guys; I will report back with the results

That is definitely a vibration in somewhere cause micro vibration on the camera. The reason u use litchi no vibrate is it travel in a slower speed when doing waypoint and orbit mode.
1. Lower the gain value will help a bit
2. Check again if u fly in a slower speed, will it reduce the vibration.
3. Just turn on the drone and look at the gimbal and lens, try move the drone around by hand to see any vibration causing due to the counter-act from the gimbal. If u can not see any vibration, put the props on and turn the motor on and try again by hand.

Share my exp, i did face the same problem like u for my first old motor p3p but not that serious, it has a minor vibrate when flying in full speed. Fw update to 1.6 helps a bit but still vibrate. I also hv changed the a referbuished drone (keep the old gimbal part) in shamzhen due to the crack problem, after all calibration, the little vibration still exists.
So it is more likely a gimbal issue causing vibration to the camera. Luckily, i recently brought a new motor p3p becuase i hv performed the stupid csc command accidently and the old drone jumped right into the sea. Bye bye.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your help

I've had some time this morning spare, and decided to check my props. I’ll be honest as say that I’ve been a bit ignorant and thought they would be perfect out the box, but it seems that both the used set and new set have some unbalanced props. This was a DIY test using a bit of straight rod and a can, so I’ll order up a proper balancing kit for next week before I go sanding the blades.

However; todays weather is looking quite good, so I’m going to pick my best set of props and go flying to see if it has solved the problem. I’ve also read that PDF that @JickMagger posted, and have changed all my settings to the recommended settings.

Will post a video for you to judge later; fingers crossed!

So I'm back from flying. I'm not going upload the video as there is no point; there is still wobble :mad:

I did notice that the drone wasn't hovering as steady as I remember, so I'll do a compass calibration next to see if it helps. If that doesn't work I'll get onto DJI.

Some more flying later today, so any further ideas please let me know.

Is it normal to notice a slight wobble if flying very fast against the wind. I noticed a slight wobble but only when it was 90 degrees to the wind when it turned into the wind with camera facing in front it was totally fine. Should any screws be worth checking to see if they are tight around the gimbal area?

So yet another flight today; I did a Compass calibration, which didn’t help at all.

So I’ve taken my time to look at all my test videos and this is the summery of my problem in bullet points

- Video ‘wobbles’ when the is drone moving
o This occurs in windy and calm weather
o But no visible wobble when hovering
o Wobble doesn’t occur, or is less visible when using Litchi waypoints????
o Wobble is just as bad when flying at slow speeds or high speeds​

And the steps I’ve taken to try and resolve it

- All firmware is up to date
- Checked the gimble
o Used compressed air to blow out any debris
o Visually checked the Gimble & mounting looks fine​
- Calibrated IMU, Compass & Gimble
- Changed the settings to the following (from the Phantom guide above)
o Expo: All at .30 ; Attitude: 80% ; Brake: 80% ; Gain: All at 100% except Yaw: 80%​
- Changed the camera settings to the following (where avalible, I have taken from the Phantom guide above)
o 3840x2160p (4K) | 24FPS | MP4 | Film in Manual Mode | ISO at 100 | Shutter Speed at 60 (adjusted to 120 because footage was to light)​
- Checked blades are balance and used my best set

What do you guys think? Time to contact DJI, or is there anything else I can do?

I was thinking of downgrading my firmware to see if the problem still occurs.

Last edited:
The first video you put up has jello on which is caused by a vibration, Probably blades need to be balanced.

The last 2 look ok, a little camera stutter but that could be the effect of uploading onto youtube.
Also you have halos from looking into the sun and directly away from it (can't recall the proper name).

The first video you put up has jello on which is caused by a vibration, Probably blades need to be balanced.

The last 2 look ok, a little camera stutter but that could be the effect of uploading onto youtube.
Also you have halos from looking into the sun and directly away from it (can't recall the proper name).

This is what is annoying me. Those most recent 2 clips where filmed while using Litchi waypoints & orbit; it seems that when Litchi is flying the ‘wobble’ doesn’t occur (or is far less noticeable)

I thought this might be because Litchi was set up to fly at a slow speed. However when I manually fly it, weather I fly at slow speeds or fast speeds the wobble still occurs?

Last edited:
First thing I would do.

Check all the 4 mounts for the camera, make sure they are free and the camera moves.
No foam gimbal lock.
Balance the props

First thing I would do.

Check all the 4 mounts for the camera, make sure they are free and the camera moves.
No foam gimbal lock.
Balance the props

Thanks @robinb for the reply

I've done all those steps. The only step that I want to repeat is the "Balance the props", as I only done it DIYish with a rod I on a balance can. I've bought a balancing kit on eBay, so will check the props again and report back.

I’m also going to go flying tomorrow and experiment with the video size, FPS and PAL/NTSC to see if it makes any difference

I have a simple 2 side rod with threads in opposite directions.

put on a level whisky glass, the centre of balance is easily found, got it off ebay a while back from seller in UK

Thanks @robinb for the reply

I've done all those steps. The only step that I want to repeat is the "Balance the props", as I only done it DIYish with a rod I on a balance can. I've bought a balancing kit on eBay, so will check the props again and report back.

I’m also going to go flying tomorrow and experiment with the video size, FPS and PAL/NTSC to see if it makes any difference

Silly question, but have you tried a different micro SD card?

Silly question, but have you tried a different micro SD card?

There is no such thing as a silly question!

One of the few things I haven't done is try a different micro SD card. Any reason why that would make a difference?

I do have a spare one sitting about, so just for elimination I will try it out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers