Video Wibble Wobble

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Ever since I bought my P3P, I've experienced a slight wibble wobble; it’s not major but is noticeable.

It’s been continually windy since I purchased the drone, so I’ve put it down to that; however today there was hardly no wind and it still occurs.

What I did notice today; I’m always flying her in ‘P’ mode, but today when I bought her home I had a play around with Litchi ‘orbit mode’ and had to put the drone into ‘F’ mode. This was only for a couple of minutes, but the wibble wobble stopped. Might this just be a coincidence?

I've added a video below which shows this wibble wobble - Any help guy is appreciated guys!

Reactions: rene van der meer
That is not acceptable. Do you still have the white piece of foam on the back of the gimbal?

Also someone reported that setting the Roll Gain to 90% helped his vibration problem, might help you too.

Might try a recalibration of everything... Start with a cold drone, begin IMU calibration, then do the gimbal, and step outside for the compass calibration. Hopefully those will eleviate the "shake rattle and roll". ;-)

Otherwise, oh oh... A Slow boat ride to China.
And it won't be the scenic route. Hahaha

Unless a firmware fix-remedy is in the works.

RedHotPoker

Thanks guys. I've never done an IMU or gimbal calibration, so this may be the problem.

I wonder if it is anything to do with the Litchi app (I doubt it, and hope not!), so will also try only flying with the GO app.

Will report back tomorrow

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Ever since I bought my P3P, I've experienced a slight wibble wobble; it’s not major but is noticeable.

It’s been continually windy since I purchased the drone, so I’ve put it down to that; however today there was hardly no wind and it still occurs.

What I did notice today; I’m always flying her in ‘P’ mode, but today when I bought her home I had a play around with Litchi ‘orbit mode’ and had to put the drone into ‘F’ mode. This was only for a couple of minutes, but the wibble wobble stopped. Might this just be a coincidence?

I've added a video below which shows this wibble wobble - Any help guy is appreciated guys!

This could also be a video encoding problem. Does it also occur when the gimball is stationary? For instance on the ground.

Thanks guys. I've never done an IMU or calibration, so this may be the problem.

I wonder if it is anything to do with the Litchi app (I doubt it, and hope not!), so will also try only flying with the GO app.

Will report back tomorrow
Gee, and you never had a flyaway? ;-)
Flew right out of the box, did it? Hahaha
Please RTFM then we can compare notes...

RedHotPoker

Gee, and you never had a flyaway? ;-)
Flew right out of the box, did it? Hahaha
Please RTFM then we can compare notes...

RedHotPoker

I did read the manual; nothing said that I had to calibrate the gimbal or IMU. I did calibrate the compass as the manual asked, and have had over 30 flights with no issues with the control of the drone.

Edit : I just realised I that I left the word "gimbal" out in my previous post. I didn't mean that I have never calibrated the compass! I wouldn't have flown the drone without reading the manual!

Last edited:
You see, them flyaways can happen, to anybody. But if your drone has been properly calibrated, then the Likelihood is significantly reduced. ;-)

I was just stating the possibility of loss, not an eventual outcome.

Please do your calibrations, and have a better success relationship.

RedHotPoker

Doesn't look like physical movement to me. What is your shutter speed vs your frame rate? Check the settings in both the DJI app and the Litchi app.

Doesn't look like physical movement to me. What is your shutter speed vs your frame rate? Check the settings in both the DJI app and the Litchi app.

Yep. Looks like video camera settings are off.
Try somewhere around 50 shutter 24 fps and even 1080.
Custom white balance jpeg raw and -2-3-2 saturation contrast and brightness. See if any of that helps the video.

This could also be a video encoding problem. Does it also occur when the gimball is stationary? For instance on the ground.
That's not an encoding problem. It's a well known P3 gimbal issue.

A couple of thoughts:

- do decrease to the roll to between 80-90. I go up in steps of 3 to se if it changes things.
- Consider balancing your props.
- DJI has suggested downgrading your firmware, doing an IMU and then upgrading the firmware and doing an IMU cal. Personally, I think this is just so you're occupied for several hours and not bothering them, but it's possibly helpful.
- some people have convinced DJI to replace the craft.

I have two P3Ps - one exhibits this problem, one does not. They are both 'older' versions, both on 1.6. I have been able to *almost* get rid of the problem by setting roll to 83.

It looks like moire and aliasing that happens in video but can be fixed to some extent by reducing the sharpness setting as others have said earlier. You can google it or look on you tube there are plenty of articles about it.One of the articles in the Manual linked below addresses it (p31-35) and in general it's a great source of Phantom information, thanks to msinger from phantom help for putting it together

Dropbox - DJI Phantom P3 Summary Guide.pdf

I get that wiggle wobble too, but not on the recorded video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Guys

Looks like a classic imbalance/vibration which runs through the drone. Culprits are usually a bad or unbalanced prop (sometimes during build the center screw is off slightly). I would just put 4 new props on. Other items could be your gimbal mount. Have a look at the 4 corners and make certain they move freely up, down, side to side. And finally, a loose engine mount will do this. Make certain all engine screens are tight.

You should be able to recreate the problem just by flying the drone above your head, grab the drone lightly and feel for any vibrations that suddenly come and go.

Reactions: Dnallov
Hi Guys

I've just been out flying and completed the following:

- Changed the blades (brand new blades)
- ICU & Gimble Calibration
- Changed the white balance (-2/ -3/ -2)
- Used the GO app

Still got wibble wobble :mad:!

I did not do is compass calibration, because I done it once, and currently flying only 10 meters from where I done the compass calibration. However I will next time I fly as a last resort.

I couldn’t work out gimble roll. It goes up and down in .1 segments; where would you set it to try and resolve the problem?

P.s. I noticed that wibble wobble did not occur when hovering, or flat on the ground; only when it is moving.

This is jello, reasons could be:

One prop way out balance. It does not matter if you changed all props, you need to find out "best set". I got same issue after ~15hours flying, then found out one prop went way of balance. Don't know why. Changed prop, all good.

Gimbal vibration can you record same issue without props. Just hit record and roll P3 quite everywhere so gimbal goes to every position possible

Arm/Motor vibration. Remove props and rev engines. If you at some rpm's can hear high pits noise, and can feel vibration to arm/gimbal that's it.

To balance prop just attach it to rounded pencil and check. It's not scientific but prop way out balance should be easily spotted. Practice this with good and bad props, so you got feel about it. You can spot bad prop with rounded pencil and some practice. That's how i got rid of this.

keep us updated.

Reactions: Dnallov
Hi Guys

I've just been out flying and completed the following:

- Changed the blades (brand new blades)
- ICU & Gimble Calibration
- Changed the white balance (-2/ -3/ -2)
- Used the GO app

Still got wibble wobble :mad:!

I did not do is compass calibration, because I done it once, and currently flying only 10 meters from where I done the compass calibration. However I will next time I fly as a last resort.

I couldn’t work out gimble roll. It goes up and down in .1 segments; where would you set it to try and resolve the problem?

P.s. I noticed that wibble wobble did not occur when hovering, or flat on the ground; only when it is moving.

Hmmmm.... Long shot but I wonder if it is the camera/gimbal assembly. I only say this because you have checked many of the standard items and you've indicated that all is well during a hover. When the craft moves in a direction there are forces on the gimbal and camera. Perhaps a gimbal joint issue or the camera lens assembly (could have the slightest play in it).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl