Video Transmitter belly bracket extender

Reaction score
This is a small plastic inverted T shaped bracket that allows a video transmitter to protrude slightly more from the belly of the Phantom reducing the risk of signal shadow from the gimbel.

The 2 parts of the T were super glued together and reinforced with a bead of 'No More Nails' stuff on either side of the join.

It was attached to the belly and side of the Phantom by high strength Velcro on the vertical and horizontal side of the T. High strength Velcro was also used to attach the transmitter to the outward facing part of the T.
yne6a2a7.jpg

vybesy2e.jpg

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Neat solution! If you're using the rubber duck antenna in that pic, your effective distance for FPV signal will be the least when that side of the Phantom is pointed towards you, but in all other orientations it should work great (especially in front and behind the Phantom).

Not just for rubber ducks. It will take my new Horizon antenna when arrives any day now. It just gives slightly more distance from the aircraft :) Cost me nought.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Reactions: rattydude77
I took a slightly different approach.

Bought a very cheap but cheerful plastic basket and chopped that up to be wide enough for the legs and ensured I had enough of the baskets solid base in which I drilled holes to then fit between the base legs & the body with slightly longer screws.

A couple of cable ties through appropriate holes add further rigidity and the surface can be used for the transmitter with another couple of cable ties.

Very simple, very cheap, very effective and no inflight impact.

I also feel very confident about the transmitter staying in place & not dropping down when sticky backed velcro or tape gives up it's grip.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,541
Nice one

I like it and might be interested in buying one from you if you post a link.
I thought about just an "L" bracket to mount the transmitter pointed down since I prefer the clover leaf antenna pointed down to clear the gimbal.
I using a FlySight 5.8GHz 1.2W Transmitter.

JerEl said:
I like it and might be interested in buying one from you if you post a link.
I thought about just an "L" bracket to mount the transmitter pointed down since I prefer the clover leaf antenna pointed down to clear the gimbal.
I using a FlySight 5.8GHz 1.2W Transmitter.
I just knocked the bracket up with some plastic and epoxy. Shortly after I took that shot I got a Nimrod from Horizon antennas with an extra long flexible shaft so I just bend it to face down.

Another idea for all of you is to use aftermarket carbon fiber Phantom ONE battery side-mounts. They screw in between the legs and the body, and then you can simply mount an FPV TX on one side, a Ground Station on the other, or whatever.

We do one FPV TX on one side, one FPV TX on the other, and the Ground Station on a rear FPV extension.

I like this in that my gopro often touches the ground at startup due to lens protector sticks out slightly more than without the protector. The added height the bracket has on the legs would clear the gopro, would need similar spacers on other side. Whats the weight on this?

loopee said:
I designed a 3d printed housing for the transmitter and posted it to Thingiverse for others to use (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:306786)

DSC00383sm_preview_featured.jpg

DSC00381sm_preview_featured.jpg

Looking to put it up on Shapeways for people to buy if they want if they don't have a 3D printer
Are you ever going to post this on Shapeways? :)

OP can i pay you to make one for me with your printer this is a perfect setup my serial # is worn out underneath the belly of the phantom from using 3m double sided tape.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20