Video switch vs tilt on ch7 phantom transmitter

Reaction score
So, it seem pretty clear that I can have either the gimbal tilt control or a video switch (to switch between fpv cam view and gopro recording view) controlled through ch7 on the stock dji phantom transmitter. Wish there was a way to do both without upgrading transmitters, but whatever. Unless there is, in which case, I'm all ears.

What do people prefer - 'blind ' tilt attitude control and guessing the camera is pointing right at the target, or fixed tilt angle but being able to verify capture field of view in real time?

Just curious... Cheers?

I may be missing something here.. but is you have an FPV setup using a GoPro on a tilt gimbal.. you have both Tilt control and can also see the video feed.

The GoPro can be set to record video and take stills at the same time on an interval.. say every 10 seconds.
When the still is taken.. the FPV goes blank for a second. So there would be blanks in the FPV view every 10 seconds, but this does not affect onboard GoPro video recording.

I should have stated this up front- I have an independent fpv cam and don't use the gopro for flight, just recording the ride. When I was originally setting this up, too many reports of go pros cutting out and being generally unreliable for fpv

Cheers

neilp1 said:
When I was originally setting this up, too many reports of go pros cutting out and being generally unreliable for fpv
Cheers
This is the first time I heard of it.

The gp3 does a lot better in high contrasty light conditions with less blacking out of the ground compared to the 1 or 2 and doesn't tend to auto shut down if you forget to record or adjust that setting prior to flight. Also, the wide fov lens isn't the best for a flight cam in proximity flying situations and I didn't want to lose filming resolution to gain a narrower fov.

Saying all that, the main reason I guess was that I couldn't get used to the lack of "attitude awareness" with the flight cam being gimbled- banking turns and forward throttle all looked the same - horizontal, flat, stabilized- and was very disorienting since there where no longer any orientation cues.

I just couldn't get the same immersive feel I could with a flight cam and didn't enjoy flying it as much.

Just had a thought- if I connected F2 to the video switch AND the gimbal in parallel, I'd get the gopro view on screen when I was tilting the gimbal... Would at least allow a quick visual of camera position. Might be enough to convince myself it was close enough. I'm just curious about crazy interference issues if I did this- probably twist the wires where possible before branching out to the 2 devices

Just a thought

neilp1 said:
---

Saying all that, the main reason I guess was that I couldn't get used to the lack of "attitude awareness" with the flight cam being gimbled- banking turns and forward throttle all looked the same - horizontal, flat, stabilized- and was very disorienting since there where no longer any orientation cues.

That's why people tend to use the IOC mini to over flight information on the transmitted FPV view.
It displays an "artificial horizon" of sorts.. it shows the quad angle of attack as opposed to the flat horizon line.

Yeah, I use that but it just doesn't seem intuitive. I might need to practice it a bit more, but I really prefer the more natural moving instabilities flight view

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20