Video signal garbled but wifi strength high? Anyone else?

Reaction score
Have a strange issue that has happened twice now and it is quite disconcerting when it happens. The video shows corrupt like blocks of a highly compressed signal you can see it is something like the data but not actually, it indicates strong wifi, just the image returned is not clear. I land without fpv and it recovers in time. The strangest thing is this has happened very close was out a few hundred feet, no issue, flying back, maybe 20 feet away this screen was garbled. I will try and take a screenshot from the phone next time it happens but wanted to get everyones insight, has this happened to you? What causes it? It is not that the signals isn't there or wifi signal lost, it is just corrupt, blocky and like part of the signal is in the wrong place?!

Have you see this or know what could cause it? Does this sound like a hardware issue (wifi connection or ?)

Thanks again!

Re: Video signal garbled but wifi strength high? Anyone else

I had this problem for a while using a Samsung Galaxy S iii - an upgrade to the newest Phantom Vision app solved it. Make sure you are running the latest version of the app (v1.0.38 for Android).

genoanv said:
I had this problem for a while using a Samsung Galaxy S iii - an upgrade to the newest Phantom Vision app solved it. Make sure you are running the latest version of the app (v1.0.38 for Android).

Thanks for your reply. I am on the latest iPhone app, but was curious, was your issue sporadic or did it always happen and upgrading the app solved it for you?

It always happened on the Android app - and, yes, the upgrade solved it. I don't know what to tell you if you're running the current app - maybe if you can borrow the Galaxy siii from someone and give it a try...

I've seen the same thing a couple of times. The image loses colour and freezes although telemetry still works. Seen on both iPhone and iPad mini. It comes good after power cycling the P2V.

davephantom said:
Have a strange issue that has happened twice now and it is quite disconcerting when it happens. The video shows corrupt like blocks of a highly compressed signal you can see it is something like the data but not actually, it indicates strong wifi, just the image returned is not clear. I land without fpv and it recovers in time. The strangest thing is this has happened very close was out a few hundred feet, no issue, flying back, maybe 20 feet away this screen was garbled. I will try and take a screenshot from the phone next time it happens but wanted to get everyones insight, has this happened to you? What causes it? It is not that the signals isn't there or wifi signal lost, it is just corrupt, blocky and like part of the signal is in the wrong place?!

Have you see this or know what could cause it? Does this sound like a hardware issue (wifi connection or ?)

Thanks again!

does it look like this?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8721&p=72792&hilit=aliasing#p72792

helixaviator said:
davephantom said:

Thanks again!

does it look like this?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8721&p=72792&hilit=aliasing#p72792

No, I think I have a lemon unit. I got a screen shot today, even 15 feet away, it garbled half of the screen (Bottom) but top seemed fine and you can see wifi strength is full.

and further away more a more pronounced effect:

This particular unit came with remote on 2 beeps and stickers already applied, so I am thinking it was refurb from DJI and needs replacement with a new unit. Has anyone else seen such a half screen smeared (it is still moving colors like a grease filter) on part of the frame while another part is normal?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 561
  • photo.png
    photo.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 524

Which iPhone are you using? iPhone 4's have a slower processor which can cause video breakups like this - picking a lower preview quality for the app is usually the fix.

AnselA said:
Have you tried 320 x 240@15fps preview quality?

This is difficult to test as the problem happens sporatically, but I have tried various modes. The thing that is strange is it is not signal or wifi dependendent (seemingly) and the first time it happened on takeoff it was literally 5 feet away. For this reason, I don't suspect it is bitrate specific.

Did you have similar issues in 640X480?

jimre said:
Which iPhone are you using? iPhone 4's have a slower processor which can cause video breakups like this - picking a lower preview quality for the app is usually the fix.

This is a 5s (A7 SOC) so I am sure it is not CPU bound. Have any other 5S users seen this type of issue?

davephantom said:
AnselA said:
Have you tried 320 x 240@15fps preview quality?

This is difficult to test as the problem happens sporatically, but I have tried various modes. The thing that is strange is it is not signal or wifi dependendent (seemingly) and the first time it happened on takeoff it was literally 5 feet away. For this reason, I don't suspect it is bitrate specific.

Did you have similar issues in 640X480?

No, but I am using Android tablet.

Manual suggests: "320 x 240@15fps (Recommended when there is a lot of interference.)"

Are you sure this is only a problem with the PREVIEW? You've downloaded the actual recorded video, and verified it doesn't have any of these artifacts?

Had similar for last 3 days. Did you sort yours out?

2014-04-02-18.00.19.jpg

jimre said:
Are you sure this is only a problem with the PREVIEW? You've downloaded the actual recorded video, and verified it doesn't have any of these artifacts?

Yes, I have captured images / video that show without any issue, its just in the FPV. It is also sporatic, some flights are normal, others this happens and must return back. Some were in areas with no other wifi spots showing (only phantom). I tested in a high wifi area near apartments there must have been 20+ hotspots listed and didn't have it so its a bit of a mystery but very problematic to not be able to trust the display even at short distances (sometimes).

rich-s said:
Had similar for last 3 days. Did you sort yours out?

2014-04-02-18.00.19.jpg

That actually seems okay, just low resolution, if you see my screenshots, half is normal, half is completely illegible. You may want to check your resolution / fps, could you have changed a setting which gave a lower resolution preview? I think your issue is different in any case, I have not come up with a solution as of yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1