Video settings keep changing?

Reaction score
Still shooting tests with my new P4 Pro + and noticed that my video settings keep switching back to 4K. Are the video settings associated with tracking modes or something like that? Some things are staying put, but the resolution will change for no apparent reason (or at least for no reason apparent to me...).

Ideas? Perhaps this was on page 157 of the extensive manual that came with my Phantom? ; ]

In addition to the video resolution settings changing from one launch to the next...

I have my still setting set to JPEG and RAW, but from time to time, with no input from me, the aspect ratio will change and it will start to shoot JPEG's with NO RAW files being saved.

Am I the only one that this has happened to? Or is it some really obvious answer that everyone should know and I am be shunned for my ignorance?

OK. Figured out part of it...

The video settings go to 4k whenever I choose Active Tracking. I have to manually put them back to where I want them if it is not 4k.

I think they should give you a choice rather than tell you 'this mode performs better when 4k is used...' or whatever it says when you choose it. I need to check that out a little closer.

What happens is this - you cannot set the intelligent modes up unless you are in the air. And, when you are in the air, reading tiny print on the remote does not seem as important as keeping an eye on the Phantom 4. So, there is a little text box that calls for an OK. It is in this box where I think it mentions that it is switching to 4k. Problem is, it does not switch back that I can tell when you leave the intelligent control modes.

I would love to be able to set up all of the details for each shooting mode, or have ONE setting that is the default, and have that something that can be applied while on the ground. It feels like a waste of time to have to scroll thought menus while trying to read in bright sunlight and keeping an eye on the flight at the same time.

At least now I know why it kept going back to 4k. 4k is great and all, but it is not what I will always be shooting at.

In addition to the video resolution settings changing from one launch to the next...

I have my still setting set to JPEG and RAW, but from time to time, with no input from me, the aspect ratio will change and it will start to shoot JPEG's with NO RAW files being saved.

Am I the only one that this has happened to? Or is it some really obvious answer that everyone should know and I am be shunned for my ignorance?

Nope, you are not alone and like movies, it seems to be linked to when you use active tracking - I check mine before each flight now

Nope, you are not alone and like movies, it seems to be linked to when you use active tracking - I check mine before each flight now

I think DJI should address this. The intelligent modes cannot be entered into or altered unless the drone is in the air. It may seem a small thing, but I do not want to have to sort through menu options to reset things that COULD be maintained with better software EACH time I move into a different mode of operation. That potentially means a 25 minute flight requires a couple of minutes to reset these parameters. That is time I could use for shooting AND it could create a hazard if I have to do this without aid of a VO.

I think DJI should address this. The intelligent modes cannot be entered into or altered unless the drone is in the air. It may seem a small thing, but I do not want to have to sort through menu options to reset things that COULD be maintained with better software EACH time I move into a different mode of operation. That potentially means a 25 minute flight requires a couple of minutes to reset these parameters. That is time I could use for shooting AND it could create a hazard if I have to do this without aid of a VO.

I wholeheartedly support this!! I just bought a P4P+ because I wanted a flying camera. (Surely no-one in their right mind goes to the expense of a P4P just to fly the darn thing at high speed through hoops?!) A camera that loses its settings when you change its flying settings is not a flying camera: it's a nightmare. Why do the video settings retain the NTSC vs. PAL setting, the video format setting, the style setting, and the encoding format setting, but not the all important video size and frame rate setting, when you change auto flight modes. For still photography, the darn thing loses all the manual settings when you change the auto flying setting. This is not a flying camera, it's a bad joke!

Last edited:
Reactions: ravedog
I wholeheartedly support this!! I just bought a P4P+ because I wanted a flying camera. (Surely no-one in their right mind goes to the expense of a P4P just to fly the darn thing at high speed through hoops?!) A camera that loses its settings when you change its flying settings is not a flying camera: it's a nightmare. Why do the video settings retain the NTSC vs. PAL setting, the video format setting, the style setting, and the encoding format setting, but not the all important video size and frame rate setting, when you change auto flight modes. For still photography, the darn thing loses all the manual settings when you change the auto flying setting. This is not a flying camera, it's a bad joke!
Same issue here, pain in the butt. Another thing that changes every time I fire it up is the RTH altitude. I set it at 92m (300ft) and it resets to 50m everytime I turn it off. Annoying

This is SO annoying, I keep coming home with folders of JPGs, or video shot in modes I didnt set, sick of setting up my camera menu in the air all the time

In active track, if your exposure is too dark to hold the track, it may change to auto exposure. I'm not sure, but sometimes I think it goes into AE mode and you can still change the exposure but only the shutter speed or ISO adjusts, with ƒ-stop staying constant. It may be that it also changes the format to 4K30, but I'm not sure why.

You should be able to change the camera settings back to manual once active track is engaged.

Also keep in mind, any photos shot mid-video recording will be limited by the video settings.

Reactions: bluesgeek

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub