Video Settings and Premiere Export?

Reaction score
So, in yalls experience, what video format do yall get the best quality out of the P3, MOV or MP4?

And what output settings from Premiere do yall tend to use that produces the best Youtube video balance between quality and upload time?

I am just starting with Premiere but I have PS CS6 and Lightroom so I am pretty familiar with editing and working with images. Video is the part thats new to me.

The reason I as is the first video I just did, 8m long is >2gig. So I really gotta work on some size reduction settings here.

Last edited:
So nobody has any recommended video settings that are good for YT uploads? Nobody?

Do a search. There are some rather long replies with all kinds of good info.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Try h264. But remember, the higher the bit-rate, the bigger the file, the better the result because YouTube will compress it again.

I did do h264 but the VBR sliders were grayed out so I couldn't adjust them. I did 1 pass.. Not sure that matters?

I just thought that 2gb for 8min of 1080p video was rather excessive to say the least. Even at 4k I wouldn't have expected 8min to run 2gig.

I've ran about the same, 8 min-1.5 to 2 gb. I don't send my videos to YT though. I have to save them to cloud, then send a link. Kinda sucks, but it works....I guess

Ok, I just thought it was a bit excessive. I have run screen caps of a 1080 display and had far longer videos running only in the hundreds of meg, not gig.

If this is the norm, then I am ok with it. Its the first P3 video I edited so I wasn't sure how it was supposed to play out.

They're long, but I cant complain about the video quality. Somebody may know a trick to make a smaller file, or be able to email to an individual straight email, but I don't know the trick.

I did do h264 but the VBR sliders were grayed out so I couldn't adjust them. I did 1 pass.. Not sure that matters?

I just thought that 2gb for 8min of 1080p video was rather excessive to say the least. Even at 4k I wouldn't have expected 8min to run 2gig.
Click on CBR and you'll see a pull-down giving you CBR/VBR options although CBR should be fine. You'll see a slider to adjust mbps, thus file size. I'd go with a setting of about 20 mbps but you can get away with less. 2gb for 8 minutes is excessive.

Ok, I just thought it was a bit excessive. I have run screen caps of a 1080 display and had far longer videos running only in the hundreds of meg, not gig.

If this is the norm, then I am ok with it. Its the first P3 video I edited so I wasn't sure how it was supposed to play out.
I was curious and went back through my videos and looked at the time, and the size of file. I have fiddled around with the settings, but ultimately stuck with what looked the best. Almost all of em are around 4 minutes long, and 1 gig in size. The exceptions are the videos I downsized to email people. I then had to re-email since the quality went in the trash when downsized. I thought I had found one that was smaller, but it was taken with an sj4000. I guess it is what it is. I've heard YT smashes em back down, but I;m not a YT expert.

I was curious and went back through my videos and looked at the time, and the size of file. I have fiddled around with the settings, but ultimately stuck with what looked the best. Almost all of em are around 4 minutes long, and 1 gig in size. The exceptions are the videos I downsized to email people. I then had to re-email since the quality went in the trash when downsized. I thought I had found one that was smaller, but it was taken with an sj4000. I guess it is what it is. I've heard YT smashes em back down, but I;m not a YT expert.
Right, sending a video via email is probably not the best solution, plus some people can't receive large attachments in email. You would be much better off sharing on Vimeo, FB, YouTube or similar.

Running one now in Premiere. Decided t try 2 pass. Estimates 947mb for a 13min video. Have to wait and see if it look like horse puckys or not. If not, then I want to run it through dashboard to throw gauges on it.

Right, sending a video via email is probably not the best solution, plus some people can't receive large attachments in email. You would be much better off sharing on Vimeo, FB, YouTube or similar.

Or drop box.

eard
Well, that may be right, but the people I take the videos for probably don't want them spread all over the internet.
Some of em wouldn't mind I'm sure, but some of em would, so I don't do it. I just email directly, and they know how big the files are, so its all good.

Ok, so I got settings down that generate about 900mb file for 13min video. Way better. Quality still there.

Now, can anyone answer whether the P3 should be recording MOV or MP4?

Now, can anyone answer whether the P3 should be recording MOV or MP4?
Whichever works best with your editing system. Good to hear you're getting better quality with a smaller file size.
the people I take the videos for probably don't want them spread all over the internet.
If you designate a YouTube video as "unlisted", then only those with the link will have access to it. It is technically possible for a random person to stumble across it but highly unlikely.

Whichever works best with your editing system. Good to hear you're getting better quality with a smaller file size.

If you designate a YouTube video as "unlisted", then only those with the link will have access to it. It is technically possible for a random person to stumble across it but highly unlikely.
I figured out a way to make how I'm doing it work, so I think I'll just stick with that. I'm not really a facebook or youtube person anyway.

So, in yalls experience, what video format do yall get the best quality out of the P3, MOV or MP4?

And what output settings from Premiere do yall tend to use that produces the best Youtube video balance between quality and upload time?

I am just starting with Premiere but I have PS CS6 and Lightroom so I am pretty familiar with editing and working with images. Video is the part thats new to me.

The reason I as is the first video I just did, 8m long is >2gig. So I really gotta work on some size reduction settings here.
Hope this helps....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20