Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Video refresh rate?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Mods' started by Charlieb, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Charlieb

Hi,

What video refresh rate and resolution are you guys using to send the video back to your smartphone. I find that 30fps at the highest resolution breaks the video to my iPhone some 300mts out(or less) while on urban environments. I get the gray video screen with the spinning wheel and the video feed freezes. I have to recycle everything before I get video back. I never lose telemetry data even though I don't get video feed.

I decreased the video feed to 15fps and it seem to have solved the problem, although I had the impression that with the stage 3 mod I would be able to have 30fps video feed active without complications. I guess I was wrong.

I have a FPVLR stage 3 PSV+ that has never been crashed.

Cheers,

Charlie

2. kondorfpv

Hi Charlie, this is Tony from FPVLR.com
    I have found that the refresh rate is very dependent on the phone, how many apps are running, even placement of the phone itself seems to make a difference.
    You can try removing the iPhone from the holder and distancing it from the extender a few feet, or try a different phone to see if the problem is app-depended or phone dependent.

Even with stage 2 some people are able to keep 640x480 30fpv out to 3000+ft
    It's very random though, and most people seem to use 640x480 15fps.

Tony.

3. Charlieb

Hi Tony,

I have a iPhone 5 and a iPhone 5S, with both I get similar results. I run nothing else but the DJI Vision app. I will try with the iPhone 6 later on today to see if I get different results. For a while I thought it was due to the half dome antenna that became undone for no reason.

Cheers,

Charlie

4. RichW

I can confirm what Tony says from experience. I have his x3 kit and always use 640x480 30fps streaming option to an N5. Furthest I've taken this setup is 3,700ft.

I don't get the same results with an N7 but do with an old Asus transformer prime 10" tablet so device certainly matters on this one.