Video recording problem.

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm having trouble with recording video on my P3s. Yesterday when I hit record there was a delay of a few seconds before recording started but then it would stop recording after 12 seconds.
I formatted the SD and tried again today; still the same delay when I hit record but now it records between 11 and 22 seconds and then stops.
225df9d96f41f7943ccc30527d78bb0f.jpg

This is the card. Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I assume you have tried it in a card reader direct to a PC ? Reads and writes fine ?

Anything up to about 10 secs is the time I would expect a slow recorder to decide it cannot write to a protected, wrongly formatted or damaged card.

Did you format to FAT32 or EXFat ?

If you did NTFS or 64bit via Win10 etc. - then it will not work in the P3 ... it needs to be FAT32 (I prefer) or EXFAT ....

Nigel

Yes as stated, where did you format the card?
The image in the picture is to small, maybe that's the problem. :rolleyes:

Is this original card? Can you try another?
Note you don't need to be flying, to record video (to test).

I recommend formatting in the Phantom, the Fat32, ExFat, NTFS seems to very by size of card. What is most important that it works in the Phantom.

Rod

I formatted it in the P3 via the DJI GO app. It reads fine when plugged into my iPad via a card reading lead.

Do a full (i.e. not quick) formatting on your PC, and see if you get any errors. You can also try this utility from the SD Association.
If you don't get any errors, put the card back in the P3S, do a format via DJI GO and see how things go.
In any case, the best option would be to try another card: if everything works, you know the first card is the problem (which is a much easier problem to solve than your camera choking on a perfectly good card).

Last edited:
Have you tried a different card in the phantom? I found that some cards even though they seem to be a good quality will not work properly.

Thanks for the replies guys; I haven't tried another card but if formatting on the PC fails I will buy a new one. Any recommendations?

SanDisk ultra is just fine even on a Pro, but color scheme is different than what I've recently encountered so may be old card.
FAT32<=32gb, ExFAT>32gb.
NTFS will not work. However having the gimbal/app will take care of that decision.
Sometimes the partition table gets messed up. Not sure if the app format completely wipes it and reconstructs the table as well as the volume/partition.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the replies guys; I haven't tried another card but if formatting on the PC fails I will buy a new one. Any recommendations?

I'm happy with Samsung MicroSD cards... have a 32GB Pro Select in the P3S and a 64GB Pro+ in my GoPro, both rated at 95MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed. Nothing special to say about them, they just work. A decent (sequential) write speed is what you want to make sure the camera doesn't choke when recording videos. Read speed is also important to get the videos off the camera, in particular if you use a USB 3.0 card reader...
My suggestion: even if the P3S only requires a basic Class 10 card (minimum 10MB/s), thanks to its relatively low bit-rate (5MB/s), there is really no reason today to get something below 20MB/s. And I would also stick to brand names: SanDisk, Samsung, Lexar, etc.

Last edited:
To OP - literally you can format a card in a read/write unit and still not get working card. Its one of life's mystery's !

Best solution is get another card and use the old in another device ....

One item that some claim but in fact is not correct - they claim that EXFAT will not split videos - not true FAT32 and EXFAT split videos same. What is different is compatibility for larger cards ....

Nigel

To OP - literally you can format a card in a read/write unit and still not get working card. Its one of life's mystery's !

Best solution is get another card and use the old in another device ....

One item that some claim but in fact is not correct - they claim that EXFAT will not split videos - not true FAT32 and EXFAT split videos same. What is different is compatibility for larger cards ....

Nigel
Splitting videos isn't based on the format. ExFAT can support files larger than 4gb but firmware chooses to keep to the lowest common denominator.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, yes it helps, most of the time nobody every comes back to tell us if worked or not. :rolleyes:
You have now paid for your membership ;)

To continue your membership, you must come back weekly even if you don't post a question or answer.
I will be watching.
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik