Video Recording Bitrate Bug in DJI GO

Hi, Does anyone know an easy way to check the bit rate of a vid file on mac? Thanks
On my Macbook Pro, I play the video file with VLC. Under the menu Window - Media - Statistics, it will show the stream bitrate as the video plays, which gives you a rough idea of the average video bitrate.

Easier to check on my desktop PC, either by checking the file property or with MediaInfo.

Not sure where else to put this, but it's a fairly significant bug that totally just screwed up my shoot.

I've got a Phantom 3 Advanced running the latest 1.8.80 firmware and the DJI GO 2.7.1 app on my Nexus 7 (2013)

Ordinarily, the drone shoots wonderful 1080p60 footage at 60mbit/sec, HOWEVER, if you leave the app open and the controller on, and power down the drone to change batteries, when it reconnects you'll only be recording 1080p60 footage at 26mbit/sec (which looks like complete garbage).

Has anyone else encountered this? The only solution I've found is to completely exit the DJI GO app between battery changes and re-launch it by re-connecting the controller to the tablet.

Hi there, achilles....I've been searching the forums for a while to confirm my thoughts re this bitrate issue. I've noticed it on my Phantom 4. One day I'd have great sharp footage in 4k and then the next day the footage looked soft and mushy. It was driving me nuts...I'd take the footage to the DJi rep where I live and they'd say it's just how they are!!! It wasn't until I placed a crisp piece of footage alongside some rubbishy stuff in a split screen did the rep believe what I was saying...they gave me another drone; I thought great, time to get back to shooting. Lo and behold the replacement P4 would do the same thing. One minute good footage, the next rubbish. It looked to me as if the bit rate had been lowered considerably in the bad stuff. Then I noticed how the settings on the go app would not stay like they were when I turned the craft off. Instead, they would often default to being in photo mode when I knew I'd finished the shoot in video mode....I noticed that filming after that would produce the rubbish video.....what has changed things for me so that I'm getting good video every time in 4k is being careful with how I power down the drone...I always exit the go app first then switch off the controller and then the drone. Now, as a habit, I watch the go app when I click camera one the welcome screen and watch if it goes to previous settings and it seems to work. I've noticed if it comes up in photo and stays there then the footage will be crap...I reboot the whole system until it comes up in the settings it was when I last used it which is always video. And I have to say even after being really careful today with the power down and boot up sequence it went back to the photo mode. It's a very weird bug....something is definitely different because all has been well for the last couple of days.

Today I just wanted to experiment with other flight modes around my house.
I did not care if it recorded in 1080p 60Mbps or 26Mbps. So never took the still image first.

Quess what. The video was 60Mbps.

Some how I have gone back to not needing to shoot the still first in order to get 60Mbps. Weird.

I have not changed firmware or software.

Today I just wanted to experiment with other flight modes around my house.
I did not care if it recorded in 1080p 60Mbps or 26Mbps. So never took the still image first.

Quess what. The video was 60Mbps.

Some how I have gone back to not needing to shoot the still first in order to get 60Mbps. Weird.

I have not changed firmware or software.
Probably because the "bug" has always been reported as intermittent, though most reported it happening after their first 1080p60 video of a flight. I think that many who use the 1080p60 setting regularly have simply learned to do the quick mode switch to photo and back every time they begin a new video just to be sure. I don't think that actually taking a still has ever been needed for the work around, just the mode switch to photo then back. I always just do the mode switch (no actual still shot taken) and it has worked every time.

Last edited:
Thats a bug and DJI should fix it. We should nit toggle photo/video for it to work like it should.

Anyone know if this bug is also evident with P3P 4K settings? I

I am having an issue whereby I will get lovely razor sharp video in one shot and the next one it can be soft and mushy! The bitrate / res / setting are identical in both videos. It's really infuriating me !!

Not sure what on earth it going on !

I use litchi pretty much 99% of the time

Anyone any ideas !?

I am having an issue whereby I will get lovely razor sharp video in one shot and the next one it can be soft and mushy! The bitrate / res / setting are identical in both videos. It's really infuriating me !!

Not sure what on earth it going on !

I use litchi pretty much 99% of the time

Anyone any ideas !?

Hi there...I've been reporting that problem for ages...people look at my videos and say there's nothing wrong with them!!! But the difference is huge..I've noticed it in 4k on the Phantom 4....it's got to be some kind of a bug....my stuff seems to be good all the time now as a result of watching the app boot up and making sure it boots to the exact same settings I had when I turned the craft off. I've noticed, and I may have made the wrong correlation here, that when the app boots up and the settings have changed to photo that if I then shoot video it looks soft and mushy. I reboot the whole system if it comes up different. Also make sure you power down the craft first.

Reactions: TonyNI2013
This is the thread where I should have posted first. :) Is there a chance we get 60mbps in 2.7k in Phantom 3 Advanced ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31