Video Recording Bitrate Bug in DJI GO

Thanks. But nothing to hide.

Just wondering achilles and oso. Do you format your sc card before or between flights?
I use to just move the files over to the pc. But lately I have copied and format the card in the AC as part of startup routine.

The reason I ask is I always shot at 60Mb before. I am wondering if there is something in the hidden files on the sd card that kept a setting.

Thanks. But nothing to hide.

Just wondering achilles and oso. Do you format your sc card before or between flights?
I use to just move the files over to the pc. But lately I have copied and format the card in the AC as part of startup routine.

The reason I ask is I always shot at 60Mb before. I am wondering if there is something in the hidden files on the sd card that kept a setting.
I also do not format between flights.

I thought it might affect the file names. But formatting does not. That info must be in the camera.

Duration : 8mn 38s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 59.9 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 50.0 Mbps

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.482
Stream size : 3.62 GiB (100%)
Title : DJI.AVC
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2016-05-03 15:21:40
Tagged date : UTC 2016-05-03 15:21:40
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Hmm... Maximum bit rate 50.0 Mbps and average bit rate 59.9 Mbps.... ? I know that I'm not so good on math but..... :)

Happens to me too using litchi, all videos shoot before to take a photo are 26mbit, later the photo are 60mbps. Fcking bug.

And I have 1.6.4 firmware on my bird. So the bug is there since a lot of time.

Last edited:
I thought it might affect the file names. But formatting does not. That info must be in the camera.

There is a setting in the GO app called File Index Mode which can be set to Reset or Continuous. Set it to continuous for sequential file names. Formatting the SD card doesn't reset the sequential file names, but if you format the internal P3 memory I believe it gets reset.

I never had to shoot a still first to get 60Mb before. So why now.

Today I tried a few things.

1-started everything up - tried video - got 26Mb.
took 1 still. Then took video - got 60Mb.
Stopped video. Then restarted video - got 60Mb.

2-Shutdown everything. Restarted everything. Shot video. - Got 26Mb.

So it seems once a still has been shot and one does not power down, you can start and stop video and still get 60Mb.
All switching from still to video or visa versa was done from controller buttons.

One thing I have noticed is on the camera screen there is a little slider switch to toggle from still to video.
That switch is always on video now when I power up.
I am sure it use to default to still on power up.

That might explain why I did not have this 26Mb problem before.

I never had to shoot a still first to get 60Mb before. So why now.

Today I tried a few things.

1-started everything up - tried video - got 26Mb.
took 1 still. Then took video - got 60Mb.
Stopped video. Then restarted video - got 60Mb.

2-Shutdown everything. Restarted everything. Shot video. - Got 26Mb.

So it seems once a still has been shot and one does not power down, you can start and stop video and still get 60Mb.
All switching from still to video or visa versa was done from controller buttons.

One thing I have noticed is on the camera screen there is a little slider switch to toggle from still to video.
That switch is always on video now when I power up.
I am sure it use to default to still on power up.

That might explain why I did not have this 26Mb problem before.
Which firmware version you have on your phantom?

My signature is up to date

Not sure where else to put this, but it's a fairly significant bug that totally just screwed up my shoot.

I've got a Phantom 3 Advanced running the latest 1.8.80 firmware and the DJI GO 2.7.1 app on my Nexus 7 (2013)

Ordinarily, the drone shoots wonderful 1080p60 footage at 60mbit/sec, HOWEVER, if you leave the app open and the controller on, and power down the drone to change batteries, when it reconnects you'll only be recording 1080p60 footage at 26mbit/sec (which looks like complete garbage).

Has anyone else encountered this? The only solution I've found is to completely exit the DJI GO app between battery changes and re-launch it by re-connecting the controller to the tablet.
On RC groups someone says that with latest 1.8 update this issue is fixed

Thanks Steven. Will keep this in mind.

Not a big deal to snap a pic first. Thanks for the update thou.Much appreciated.

Not a big deal to snap a pic first. Thanks for the update thou.Much appreciated.
For me using litchi seems to be enough to switch from video mode to camera mode then back to video mode and start recording...not needed to take a pic [emoji106]

According to the table posted earlier, the P3A and P3P are only supposed to go to 40 Mbps in 1080 mode. So if they "fix" the bug (which seems to be being able to get 60 Mbps at 1080 at all), you may end up losing 60 Mbps. And you may get 40.

Mike

I think that table is old news. P3A with firmware from 1.4 onward shoots 1080p/60fps in 60Mb/s, and other modes in lower fps in 40Mb/s. All my 1080p/60fps video has been recorded in 60Mb/s since that firmware update, I don't need to do that "shoot a still photo" trick at the start. My firmware is not the latest, I think it's 1.6. May be it's because I have not taken a still photo using the controller button yet? I always take a photo using my tablet screen.

Hi, Does anyone know an easy way to check the bit rate of a vid file on mac? Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie