Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

video range???

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by p.mitchell, Jun 6, 2016.

1. p.mitchell

only got my p3s a couple days ago. took it out had a play turned newbie mode off set max distance at 200m just incase i had any problems.

at 200m away and 50m high i lost signal. still had control via the controller but not on the app. surely 200m isnt right? anyway i can increase it without spending a fortune?

2. Markhull

Have had similar issues: Range issues

Hoping to get out tonight and see where I'm at. Like yourself I lose video at a similar point - are you in the UK?

3. p.mitchell

yeah in the uk. i dont want it going miles but further than a stones throw would be nice lol

4. Alfex

When I first got mine I only got around 200m in most locations. I kept trying different locations and found a small hill with a beach beside it and got it to about 600m which is plenty for me. Will keep testing
    [​IMG]

5. p.mitchell

your image signal is weak. mines goes from ok to nothing. will look for some where a long way from anyone. i know of a quiet little place that has a hill and all surrounding ground is lower so will try that

6. Alfex

Once I pushed it to 600 I eventually lost video signal that's when I flew it back came home. When I test in my garden I can barely get to 10 Meters without the video dropping out constantly, Definitely an interference problem.

7. TDKUK

My P3s was brilliant when I first got it (about 2 mths) but within the first few days the new F/W update just ruined the video range!

I was rock steady at 120m alt and for as far horizontally as I could see....since the update range has been as bad as 10m away!!! after numerous reinstalls of the djigo app and many resets of anything I can reset I now usually get 90m. It's like there is a glass ceiling! no matter the horizontal distance, go above 90m and phut! - it's blind! On some days it stutters and fails at 40-50m.

DJI are aware so I hope a new firmware tweak will fix this soon? The RC and GPS function brilliantly al the time. I share your pain and frustration here...I seem to remember the promise of 'up to 500m' range (CE), I guess it's the same old 'up to' story like broadband speed!?!? :-(

8. p.mitchell

yeah i know the feeling. just hope im not going to regret not buying the pro or advanced models.

9. TDKUK

To be honest I regret it already and am googling Jessops' returns policy!

I have logged 60+ flights and I think more than half have been test flights after 'fixes' suggested by DJI support. Don't know how many cycles the battery can take but I am slashing through the life of my two very expensive batteries!

10. p.mitchell

only done 2 flights. mine is mainy for use when out with my family to record trips and days out etc but still want range so i can have a play at times

11. p.mitchell

just discovered the windsurfer mod. gonna make 1 tonight and see how it goes with that.

12. p.mitchell

thank you for everyones suggestions. wasnt going to fly it tonight but decided to go. went to a new spot further away from anything.

decided to be brave and up my range from 200m to 500m. took it up to a height of 50m and went forward. at 320m i looked at the screen to check the distance and when i looked back up i had lost sight of the drone against the clouds. happy with 320m i clicked RTH and just prayed i had set home properly.

i know somewhere else in the middle of fields but waiting for my backpack to arrive and then i will try for 500m. dont want to be walking through fields with my big white phantom 3 box

13. Alfex

It's pretty scary when it's so far you can't even hear it or see it and your relying on the video lol

14. p.mitchell

only my 3rd flight of it. was watching it go away. looked at the screen for 1 second and then couldnt see it all. i stopped still for a second to make sure my video signal was good. had my 1 year old with me though and she was getting bored so did RTH and packed up

Alfex likes this.