Video range P3P vs. P3A

Reaction score
I doubt there is a definitive answer to this question, but perhaps there is at least some anecdotal evidence one way or another. My range isn't great, less than minimum advertised, which is surprising considering I fly in semi-remote high desert areas. I get great RC control signal, but video craps out much beyond 1000 feet and doesn't return until I fly closer. I know that's worse than most people get.

Apparently the P3P carries more data on the video downlink than does the P3A, which theoretically speaking may reduce the range. I own a P3P, and am now wondering if the P3A would have been a better choice for my needs. I don't really use the 4K video, I just tend to buy the best I can get when I have choices.

I know "range" is subject to significant variability even for the same bird, but if the P3P is generally less likely to match the P3A due to the signal burden, it would be good to know.

Again, not expecting anyone to really know the answer to this, but open to speculation and anecdotes that may inform my decision to change to the other bird.

Thanks

I have a P3A, wanna swap?

I doubt you'll get great replies as not many will have a P3A and a P3P so won't be able to test side by side which is the only way you'll get real results.

I see what you're saying about the greater data levels meaning a possible shorter range but you can set that lower (under image transmission menu) and if it's set the same as the P3A I guess that would take out even a theoretical difference.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I get great RC control signal, but video craps out much beyond 1000 feet and doesn't return until I fly closer. I know that's worse than most people get.
The P3 either Advanced or Pro should be only just starting at 1000 feet and any difference in range between them would be difficult to measure without some serious testing because of the variables.
I'd be wondering what's wrong with your setup.
I'm assuming you've tried a few different heights?

I'm planning an exchange for another P3P to make sure mine doesn't have an issue, but thought I might downgrade to P3A if that bird had a greater likelihood of strong signal at a couple thousand feet.

eBird your worrying for no reason, have had a P3A and now a P3P, I got the same range on my P3A as I do on my P3P (how do I know this, tested at the same spot flew to the same place and around the same place I lost connection and RTH kicked in) so I'm guessing either you have some sort of interferance in your surrounding or your P3P might be at fault.

That's the kind of info I'm after, thanks. I don't even care about going any farther than 1000 to 2000 feet, I just want a strong signal. I'll swap for another Pro and see how it does.

I have a p3A and I've flown out over 2km with perfect video link to my mobile device. Zero issues. I was in the middle of nowhere though open flat field. Could have easily gone much further but never tried.

I was expecting that too, flying in high desert with clear LOS not even any trees, but poor video signal. Great RC signal. I'd rather stay with the Pro, but if the burden of the denser video data could compromise the signal distance any, I'd consider the Advanced.

I was expecting that too, flying in high desert with clear LOS not even any trees, but poor video signal. Great RC signal. I'd rather stay with the Pro, but if the burden of the denser video data could compromise the signal distance any, I'd consider the Advanced.
When you say high desert, does that come with high heat?

Three things to try.

1. Make sure your antennas are parallel and correctly oriented toward the aircraft with the antennas pointed up and parallel to the vertical struts on the aircraft where the antennas on the aircraft are installed, and maintain clear LOS with the aircraft and your transmitter at all times with no intervening obstructions.

2. Change the RC channel selection from Auto to Custom and select one with low or no signal interference on either side of the channel you select, and get the channel hack to add unused channels for Custom channel selection, which have even less interference.

3. Get a removable Windsurfer to focus the antenna directionally at the aircraft.

Unless you have a defective P3P, all of the above will significantly increase your range, up to 2.8 miles, without any modification to the stock setup.

Good luck!

Three things to try.

1. Make sure your antennas are parallel and correctly oriented toward the aircraft with the antennas pointed up and parallel to the vertical struts on the aircraft where the antennas on the aircraft are installed, and maintain clear LOS with the aircraft and your transmitter at all times with no intervening obstructions.

2. Change the RC channel selection from Auto to Custom and select one with low or no signal interference on either side of the channel you select, and get the channel hack to add unused channels for Custom channel selection, which have even less interference.

3. Get a removable Windsurfer to focus the antenna directionally at the aircraft.

Unless you have a defective P3P, all of the above will significantly increase your range, up to 2.8 miles, without any modification to the stock setup.

Good luck!

1. Check.
2. Check.
3. Not interested at this time, need to ensure stock performance is up to snuff.

It's just my crappy luck buying stuff, I usually get a lemon.

I just thought before I exchange, I'd make sure the P3A isn't predisposed to marginally better range with the lighter signal footprint.

Nah, the altitude helps keep the temps tolerable. Some summers we never hit 100, but usually have a few days of 102 or so.
I am using the Ipad Air 2, it heats up after about 5 minutes and video will flicker and/or drop out-- . This happens in temps over 90 degrees or when standing in direct sunlight when it is warm outside. I try to find shade or fly from my pickup with the ac running and the issue goes away as the device does not overheat.

Huh. Guess I'll cross that bridge next summer. I haven't flown yet with temps over high 60's
I am modifying a Lifeproof Case and mounting a cooling fan on the back for next summer's flying powered by a 2 cell lipo.. I think it will do the cooling job needed to keep the heat down.--

1. Check.
2. Check.
3. Not interested at this time, need to ensure stock performance is up to snuff.

It's just my crappy luck buying stuff, I usually get a lemon.

I just thought before I exchange, I'd make sure the P3A isn't predisposed to marginally better range with the lighter signal footprint.
There is an issue with the HDMI out, if you install the HDMI board, but other than that, signal range should be the same, on a properly working unit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4