Video question for the experts

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4, with PolarPro ND4/PL filter and the camera set to Auto. I adjusted the PL ring on the filter to what looked best before I took off, and then did a little run over a park. I short clip of the run is here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately, the video, as you can see, is super washed out - for example, the sky is almost white until the camera adjusts a bit as the parking lots and building start filling the frame, at which point the sky looks more blue and you can actually begin to see some clouds.

Can I get some input here? I'm really struggling to get clear, well exposed video, and thought the filter would help, but I'm still way off obviously. Thanks!

You have the 3 pack PolarPro I guess.

I see that the video in sunny day or not?! However if you trying to shot in sunny day you should use the ND8, to reduce the incomer lights and give it smooth video

Not really an expert on the filters though

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a Phantom 4, with PolarPro ND4/PL filter and the camera set to Auto. I adjusted the PL ring on the filter to what looked best before I took off, and then did a little run over a park. I short clip of the run is here:

Unfortunately, the video, as you can see, is super washed out - for example, the sky is almost white until the camera adjusts a bit as the parking lots and building start filling the frame, at which point the sky looks more blue and you can actually begin to see some clouds.

Can I get some input here? I'm really struggling to get clear, well exposed video, and thought the filter would help, but I'm still way off obviously. Thanks!
Using someone else's settings makes no sense. In fact HAVING settings is not good unless they are just a base to start. Every setting has different settings.

First remove the auto things that are going on. Looks like it's auto white balancing which you NEVER want. Also, use the tools to show when you are over exposing which is worse than underexposing as you can always raise dim objects but you can't un-brighten overexposed images. Notice I said dim, not dark, difference.

Depends how much you want to color correct. If you just want to point and shoot, the settings (not wb settings) as that's something you almost always have to fix but the color settings you can use presets if you don't want to color correct but you will sacrifice quality but only if you are not willing to put in time to properly grade.

Use a lower ISO. Use variable shutter speeds (we can't change aperture with these cams) but you can get the right level using wb/ISO/shutter speed and turn off that goofy 3D removal. Anti dithering in post is much much better. There are a ton of things you can do to improve that both post and pre.

However, at a glance from my phone the color looks vibrant and nice if not a drop over exposed in the areas you said.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "raw" out of the Phantom 4. It comes out as h.264 which is about 20 steps away from raw.

What you mean is "in the native h.264 that the Phantom 4 provides"

:). You mean what he meant. I never wrote anything about raw video. That's a title the op wrote.

At the beginning of the clip, it appears the Polarizing is working on the bottom of the frame. Therefore sky is washed out.
Marty

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic