Video pulsing/blossoming

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just saw the below on YouTube:

Has anybody experienced this? I'm on a P3P and i have noticed this in a number of shots. A couple of comments i've seen says the issue is gone when shooting H265 on 24fps 4k. Hopefully this is accurate.

Reactions: tml4191
Hi guys,

Just saw the below on YouTube:

Has anybody experienced this? I'm on a P3P and i have noticed this in a number of shots. A couple of comments i've seen says the issue is gone when shooting H265 on 24fps 4k. Hopefully this is accurate.

Why yes, I have seen this with the P4P, in fact, I'm Raptorman0909. I first noticed this issue with the Inspire 1 Pro which I also have and have now seen it in the P4P as well. I have about 8 other video camera of various vintage including 3 Nikon DSLR's that shoot video as well as a couple Panasonic M43 cameras that shoot video and I've never seen this pulsing effect in any camera besides DJI cameras. I've tested both H.265 as well as the older H.264 and both have this artifact.

So, in addition to the terrible color profile and DR compression and data stream compression that DJI is guilty of the pulsing effect that's tied to the I-Frame reset is just further proof that DJI, while they are top of the heap for drones as aerial platforms are nothing to write home about as far as camera makers are concerned. I have two DJI drones, the I1 Pro and the P4P and both have this problem. The YouTuber you linked has seen this same problem in the P3 as well.

It's my opinion that DJI wants to be a major player in the camera business and it looks to me that they intend to go it alone so they don't have to pay anyone for IP. But, that's just my opinion...

Brian

Reactions: Techcop50
Hi Brian, Thanks for your input. I just watched your vid, very in depth. Do you think the issue is software or hardware or both? There definitely needs to be more discussion around this, and hopefully DJI will listen. Do you know if the X5R cameras have this issue? Would be surprising at their premium cost.

Raptorman0909's video going into more detail about the blossum & DJI bad image compression and colour options:

Reactions: TonG
I have thought about this issue, although I'm not sure I'm suffering from it since I always shoot in PAL or 24fps. Does it have anything to do with the encoding settings in the camera and that every 30 frame is a keyframe?

Hi Brian, Thanks for your input. I just watched your vid, very in depth. Do you think the issue is software or hardware or both? There definitely needs to be more discussion around this, and hopefully DJI will listen. Do you know if the X5R cameras have this issue? Would be surprising at their premium cost.

Raptorman0909's video going into more detail about the blossum & DJI bad image compression and colour options:

I took a screenshot of your footage for inspecting it in Photoshop.
Indeed... above the rgb-value of 175 there are no details anymore.
That means you are loosing a full stop of dynamic range. Horrible.

Why yes, I have seen this with the P4P, in fact, I'm Raptorman0909. I first noticed this issue with the Inspire 1 Pro which I also have and have now seen it in the P4P as well. I have about 8 other video camera of various vintage including 3 Nikon DSLR's that shoot video as well as a couple Panasonic M43 cameras that shoot video and I've never seen this pulsing effect in any camera besides DJI cameras. I've tested both H.265 as well as the older H.264 and both have this artifact.

So, in addition to the terrible color profile and DR compression and data stream compression that DJI is guilty of the pulsing effect that's tied to the I-Frame reset is just further proof that DJI, while they are top of the heap for drones as aerial platforms are nothing to write home about as far as camera makers are concerned. I have two DJI drones, the I1 Pro and the P4P and both have this problem. The YouTuber you linked has seen this same problem in the P3 as well.

It's my opinion that DJI wants to be a major player in the camera business and it looks to me that they intend to go it alone so they don't have to pay anyone for IP. But, that's just my opinion...

Brian
A bit off topic, but where was that test footage filmed (above the marshes)? Very interesting location!

Hi guys,

While it is an encoder artifact, in some cases H265 may make it even worse - see post in reference to "banding". It is due long GOP compression where a full frame is only captured maybe once a second and the interim frames are just differences. On a P3P with sharpness set to zero or 1 (landscape) and recording a scene with forest or large area of sage brush it is really bad. I found that when using D-Log or D-Cinelike and sharpness no higher than 0 or possibly set to -1, that problem pretty much disappears.

I was considering the P4P but am unsure after seeing this discussion. Has there been any official communication from DJI in regards to this issue? Assume that this is a camera issue and can't be fixed by a firmware update? Thanks for the detailed video @Raptorman0909!

We can only hope that future versions of the firmware improve the encoder (optimize for the P4P) - both the 264 and 265 versions.
I am not holding my breath since encoding H265 well takes an enormous amount of computing resources. It is far easier to use video DNG. Storage is cheap in more than one way. Soon there will be no need for an SSD as SD cards continue to get faster.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I was considering the P4P but am unsure after seeing this discussion. Has there been any official communication from DJI in regards to this issue? Assume that this is a camera issue and can't be fixed by a firmware update? Thanks for the detailed video @Raptorman0909!

At one level the flickering thing is truly aggravating, but at another level it could be viewed as pixel peeping. This artifact is present in all DJI cameras as best I can tell and appears to be a consequence of drift in PB frames between each I-frame that happen every 30 frames. So, this is not limited to the P4P and not everyone notices it. The effect is made worse if you stretch the contrast as you often want to do and when using the D-Log profile you absolutely have to do. In my experience using D-Log makes this effect worse because of the larger contrast adjustment necessary with D-Log.

But, if you look at the last two videos I've posted you can see that in spite of that problem and other issues with DJI image processing you can still get good video. See links...

So, there are continuing issues with DJI image processing but you can get good video...

Brian

At one level the flickering thing is truly aggravating, but at another level it could be viewed as pixel peeping. This artifact is present in all DJI cameras as best I can tell and appears to be a consequence of drift in PB frames between each I-frame that happen every 30 frames. So, this is not limited to the P4P and not everyone notices it. The effect is made worse if you stretch the contrast as you often want to do and when using the D-Log profile you absolutely have to do. In my experience using D-Log makes this effect worse because of the larger contrast adjustment necessary with D-Log.

But, if you look at the last two videos I've posted you can see that in spite of that problem and other issues with DJI image processing you can still get good video. See links...

So, there are continuing issues with DJI image processing but you can get good video...

Brian
Really appreciate your incredible knowledge and help on this issue Raptorman! I'm following closely. I've had my new p4p for a couple weeks now. Wonder why no one else has discovered this issue with their camera's until now with the P4P????

Anybody know if this has been fixed yet? My P3P still takes great footage but I'm keen to bite the bullet and upgrade - tho will be holding back if they still haven't fixed this ****.

Anybody know if this has been fixed yet? My P3P still takes great footage but I'm keen to bite the bullet and upgrade - tho will be holding back if they still haven't fixed this ****.

The pulsing or flickering issue is still there, but most people will not even notice it. The problem is far worse with the Inspire 1 Pro (X5) and it makes adjustments of contrast in post more of a challenge as the flickering becomes more noticeable when you stretch contrast. But, once again, the problem is much less noticeable with the P4P and most people would not even notice it. There are conditions that exaggerate the problem, a bright scene with a patch of dark will be more noticeable in the patch of dark particularly if you do contrast stretching in post.

So, the short answer is that yes it's still there but usually not very noticeable.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj