Video / photo editing what software you using ?

Reaction score
Hello
I'm about to get some software for editing photo's and video from the Vision.
It will all be new to me as I have never done any editing before just wondered what you people are using?
The good points and bad.
Thanks
Glen.

I am not the best example as I am a Linux user now:
- avidemux to cut the file
- transcode to stabilize
- openshot to make the final movie

Honestly I may get a windows PC for easy movie making...

If your using a Mac its pretty simple. iMovie does a real good job, simple and easy to use. I've grown out of it and use Adobe Premiere which is a little pricey

I am another Adobe Premiere user...oftentimes you can get a "Combo Offer" of Premiere Elements along with Photoshop Elements for under a $100...this last Black Friday, they both went for $90 at Office Depot...and probably other places too. Both programs share some similar tools, techniques and support. Just my .02 cents worth...

I use Adobe Premiere. I have a "Cloud" subscription so I have Premiere and most of the other Adobe programs. As mentioned, Adobe's top-of-the-line programs are pricey, but even though I'm far from an expert, I really appreciate the things that Premiere and Photoshop allow me to do. One of the advantages of using Adobe's products is that there are so many tutorials online. Whatever you consider doing, you can find a tutorial to help you do it.

The "Elements" versions of Adobe's programs are a very good deal. They are much less expensive and you can do almost everything in them that you can do in the more expensive programs. The "Elements" versions are often easier to use because there are dedicated tools for things like "redeye" removal.

I discovered that Premiere's "Warp Stabilizer" works wonderfully for removing much of the distracting camera movement in my Phantom 2 Vision videos. I haven't tried it, but Premiere Elements does have a video stabilizer function of its own.

-- Roger

I wish I could utilize the robust features of adobe, but I need a better understanding of a multitude of dynamic factors including how to just take good footage as well as how to edit it with any finesse so it doesn't look so amateur.

I didn't want what is considered an industry entry level editing program as I knew I would outgrow it very quickly.

I chose Cyberlink's Powerdirector

It offers multiple tiers of product with increased feature sets based on what you know how to do or want to do, and in it's fullest form is almost as good as adobe's historically great software. It is a very middle of the road kind of offering with a very moderate price point based on what you get. It is well reviewed, and I have only just begun to scratch the surface of what it can do, and that is powerdirector 11- there is a 12 version out that has upgraded and newer features.

I am happy with the 11- but what do I know? I am new to this as well. I do have a graphics background, and the learning curve is probably much more gentle for me than if I never used any sort of graphic gui, but the one thing I like is the availability of youtube tutorial videos that teach me effect skills which translate into a better understanding of what I can do overall.

For Mac-heads, iMovie is a good start. I'm now using Final Cut Pro X. Much more control and features and priced at $300.

You can use Photoshop CC to do basic video editing.
"Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" is a great photo editing program. I use Lightroom to edit my Phantom Vision photos 99%. The only time I go into Photoshop is for pixel level editing or if I need a mask. You can even use Lightroom to cut your video.
You can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for only $9.99 a month till December 31, 2013

I am a Mac user and up till now have made my movies from track days and out door sports with iMovie. Its is pretty easy to use but definitely has it limits. For warp stabilization and the like that would be handy for the PV2 I am looking at FCP or Adobe Premier. Final Cut is Native for my system so I am leaning that way. It's also lass expensive (significantly I believe). But I hadn't thought of Adobe Elements versions. I'll have to look into that. For Photos I have a very inexpensive photo program that is probably similar to Photo Shop Elements call Pixlemator ($9). It works but I prefer full photo shop that I had on my now deceased old Mac Book Pro. Gotta look into getting a new version or again..Elements.

A bit of extra info...Adobe, like many other companies, will let you down load a free 30-day trial of their software(s) so that you can try them out and see if a purchase might be in your future. The trial copies are full featured, but they do put a 'watermark' on the images to prevent you from publishing them.... You can however, learn how all of the tools, options, effects, sounds and so forth work...

And, Nope....I am not getting any cut from Adobe....although I am open to a nice year-end bonus....>G<

I'm mostly using the old Final Cut Pro 6, which is totally outdated now with FCPX at $300. I use the SmoothCam filter in Final Cut for stabalization, which has worked pretty well. I'm starting to get into the adobe CS6 tools now, experimenting with stabalization in After Effects and Premier. Although, for the most part it's been Photoshop CS6 that got me into the other Adobe tools, as I've been using DJI's lens correction profile on my video which is pretty cool.

BTW, around this time of year, you can often pick up the latest versions of the editing programs on sale at deep discounts. One place to check for bargains is Amazon.com's "Daily Deals." For example, I bought Corel Video Studio Ultimate for $40 recently.

Even though I normally use Adobe's products, I pick up other programs to try when they are on sale. Often, they include plug-ins that would cost more by themselves if you bought the versions for Adobe's products. And, sometimes, they offer features that Premiere or Photoshop don't or they make some specific things easier. An example, is Sony Movie Producer. I received a "light' version of it with one of my cameras and upgraded to the "ultimate" version for a modest fee. I found it useful because it supported editing of 3D video at a time when Premiere didn't. It also has really good audio and title editors.

-- Roger

I use Sony Vegas Pro for video editing. Was terrible for several versions (crashing all the time) but V12 is much better.

iquittoo said:
You can use Photoshop CC to do basic video editing.
"Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" is a great photo editing program. I use Lightroom to edit my Phantom Vision photos 99%. The only time I go into Photoshop is for pixel level editing or if I need a mask. You can even use Lightroom to cut your video.
You can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for only $9.99 a month till December 31, 2013

Good info. I will look into that too. Thanks,

J

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers