Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Video Output Ribbon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OverheadAerial, Aug 30, 2014.

1. OverheadAerial

Ok, per my flight log I have about 20 hours of flight time with NO ACCIDENTS! Last night I went to charge my GoPro, carefully unplugged the ribbon and the end just fell off. PISSED ME OFF! So, I just ordered a new ribbon and it will be here by Thursday. But I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of a way to strengthen the ribbon? Adding electrical tape, etc?

2) What other extra parts do you keep on hand for times like this?

Thanks!

2. taxino8

I strengthened mine with thin strips of gaffer tape and it seems to work. Prior to that I busted mine after just two outings but since adding the tape it has been OK. I ordered seven spare ribbon cables, thinking I would need all of them but have actually not needed any. I should add that I now hand catch my quad as I think there is less chance of damage to the gimbal (and ribbon) that way.
    Bob

3. OverheadAerial

4. WPSPETE

My first one broke after six flights. Second one has lasted me over 25. I just learned to be careful. If I remove the go pro I tape it to the gimbal.

5. SimonH78

I added gaffa type tape too before I fitted the "replacement" one, first one last 4-5 removals, this now has lasted far longer, also i didnt use the sticky part on the curve under the back sticker as I felt the bend around the corner of the GoPro was too tight... IMO :)