Video of the ZENMUSE Hero Phantom Gimbal in Action

Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duHPk4B730[/youtube]

Longer Video showing off how the transmitter modification will work for full tilt control:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=the7WLKxp28[/youtube]

I've seen anywhere from $699 to $999 thrown out for the gimbal alone.

pwright said:
I foresee me dropping another couple grand on this hobby. :shock:

It's easy to do, isn't it? :lol:

Can someone help me understand that price point, under $1,000 (say $600-$999). I don't get how it can be so expensive.
Can't we go out and buy one today for $200-$400, I thought I've seen a few for sale in my recent research.

I am new to understanding gimbals, so maybe I just don't understand the difference.

borne said:
Can someone help me understand that price point, under $1,000 (say $600-$999). I don't get how it can be so expensive.
Can't we go out and buy one today for $200-$400, I thought I've seen a few for sale in my recent research.

I am new to understanding gimbals, so maybe I just don't understand the difference.

I agree. If the electronics is coming from the NAZA that's already in the Phantom, where is the cost? I understand you have to pay for R&D but if you add up the parts..it just doesn't make sense.

300-500, that would sound okay : I doubt they will sell a lot at 1000€ but who knows.
Anyway, a lot of gimbals will certainly comes out with the same technology, I hope the prices will drop.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price for this gimbal will stick at €1000 in Europe. This is high end stuff, and in Europe (at least the Netherlands) prices for high end photo/videography related products are generally the same number in euro's vs. dollars and then add one hundred.. :shock:
Remember this product isn't just a (top notch) gimbal but also provides tight gopro integration, enabling fpv possibilities and camera control. If this product provides the promised pixel level stability in slightly gusty winds / turbulence around objects I would consider getting it, also for that price. Remember any post video stabilization degrades the image quality, which is especially painful with that awesome 2,7K from the gopro black (for a pixel nerd like myself anyway :geek: :mrgreen: )
That said, having a phantom with gopro black on a zenmuse hero gimbal, you'd be flying a €2000+ (Dutch price) package; not particularly typical consumer prices. But in my opinion, that amount of precise and quality technology isn't either.

There is something I don't fully understand... If it's so immensely important to have the center of rotation aligned with the camera lens, why did DJI put the tilt axis motor on the wrong side of the HERO..? What I mean to say is, if you were trying to balance the system as best possible, wouldn't you put the tilt motor on the right side..!? That way the center-of-gravity is aligned much closer to the lens center..? I'm going to push my own product here a bit... If you take a look at the Rotorflyte 2CH1 Gimbal under development, the tilt axis motor is on the right side of the camera with the roll axis motor centered on the lens from behind. Although I do admit that I think it's actually not important at all as far as the image stability is concerned. But if you wanted to keep the Phantom, or any copter, from getting in the picture, you certainly wouldn't put the tilt axis motor on the left side.

Veloflyte said:
There is something I don't fully understand... If it's so immensely important to have the center of rotation aligned with the camera lens, why did DJI put the tilt axis motor on the wrong side of the HERO..? What I mean to say is, if you were trying to balance the system as best possible, wouldn't you put the tilt motor on the right side..!? That way the center-of-gravity is aligned much closer to the lens center..? I'm going to push my own product here a bit... If you take a look at the Rotorflyte 2CH1 Gimbal under development, the tilt axis motor is on the right side of the camera with the roll axis motor centered on the lens from behind. Although I do admit that I think it's actually not important at all as far as the image stability is concerned. But if you wanted to keep the Phantom, or any copter, from getting in the picture, you certainly wouldn't put the tilt axis motor on the left side.

My take on this is that there is a setting on the Hero 3 to flip the video for mounting the Hero 3 upside down and hence the camera is centered. I suspect DJI either mounted the camera the way they did by accident or so the Hero 3 label wasn't upside down (Marketing?). I'll just mount the Hero 3 upside down and flip the video if that is what is required. :)

Veloflyte said:
But if you wanted to keep the Phantom, or any copter, from getting in the picture, you certainly wouldn't put the tilt axis motor on the left side.
Exactly. I find it baffling that they seem to have built it that way. I'm hoping they changed this on the production units.

Yeager said:
I'll just mount the Hero 3 upside down and flip the video if that is what is required. :)
Nope. If you watch the videos you'll hear them say that the Hero 3 connects to the gimbal with the backpack port. You'd have to flip the whole gimbal mount as well.

pwright said:
Nope. If you watch the videos you'll hear them say that the Hero 3 connects to the gimbal with the backpack port. You'd have to flip the whole gimbal mount as well.

Awww! That sucks! Oh well, maybe they will make changes before release, based on feedback. :-(

Dji GoPro Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal Release Update!! Dronefly.com will be one of the first to release the gimbal in the coming weeks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzygAQyqI0Y[/youtube]

DroneFly said:
Dji GoPro Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal Release Update!! Dronefly.com will be one of the first to release the gimbal in the coming weeks!

Thank you for letting us know. Would you be able to comment on an earlier post I wrote regarding the price?

borne said:
Can someone help me understand that price point, under $1,000 (say $600-$999). I don't get how it can be so expensive. Can't we go out and buy one today for $200-$400, I thought I've seen a few for sale in my recent research.

Thanks!

I'm new ....Hello everyone, it is great to be on board. How do I add this avatar? I see this gimbal is out for beta testing.

Attachments

• JB.jpg
    JB.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 748
Veloflyte said:
There is something I don't fully understand... If it's so immensely important to have the center of rotation aligned with the camera lens, why did DJI put the tilt axis motor on the wrong side of the HERO..? What I mean to say is, if you were trying to balance the system as best possible, wouldn't you put the tilt motor on the right side..!? That way the center-of-gravity is aligned much closer to the lens center..? .

you know,. now that it's mentioned it is a bit odd that they didn't rig it so that the camera could be mounted upside down.
sure it's not as elegant, but having it more center would also keep the landing gear from showing up. (perhaps).
they could have put the pitch motor on the other side, but then it would have prevented easy access to the memory card.

and DJI's is the only one that accesses the vidoe-out from the back of the Hero3
..everyone else is forced to keep all the side ports open so that one can do FPV.

but when it's all said and done, the video coming out of all these brushless gimbals is steady.
that's because even tho the lens is off center, the mechanics of the gimbal ensure that the camera remains level to the horizon.

I think the only issues with having it off center would occur if you wanted to implement a manual roll control, then it would tile off center a tad perhaps. but nobody is needing that funtionality

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj