Video Of Slow Yaw Mod Results

Reaction score
I followed Reme's (from rcgroups) instructions, installing a potentiometer on the yaw stick. This allows me to reduce power to the stick, and allows for slow, controlled panning. This video is a very basic demonstration of the principal in action. Both demonstrations are done with the yaw stick held all the way to the right. The second demo, I flipped the pot on and turned the pot all the way to max slow down. This simply displays how easy it would be to have fine control over the yaw stick. Footage has not been slowed down at all.

[vimeo]103963303[/vimeo]

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/103963303
Modification and schematics from Reme of RCgroups are found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990
Modification as discussed on this forum, as well as a video version of the mod made by Spikefinch is here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23497

Great work on the MOD, but to me that is still too fast of a pan. Is there any way to slow it down even more. I mean the camera still can't focus well even with the mod switched on. Or am I missing something???

bryanchewy said:
Great work on the MOD, but to me that is still too fast of a pan. Is there any way to slow it down even more. I mean the camera still can't focus well even with the mod switched on. Or am I missing something???

Video shows the stick all the way to the max. If you simply reduce the stick pressure, you should be able to get the results you are looking for. It is much easier to control, now that it is slowed down.

Link to vimeo updated in post.

sidebox said:
bryanchewy said:

Video shows the stick all the way to the max. If you simply reduce the stick pressure, you should be able to get the results you are looking for. It is much easier to control, now that it is slowed down.

Much more control!!!!

I was just uploading my test... how funny... :lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArtUdKWsuCE[/youtube]

SpikeFinch said:
sidebox said:
bryanchewy said:

Much more control!!!!

I was just uploading my test... how funny... :lol:

Nice! I didn't have much time today, so I just did the spin. I barely had time to do a 50% yaw test. Nice demo vid!

Does anyone understand the functioning of the yaw values in the Phantom Assistant. I read one post that said lowering the value would make the stick less responsive (better for slow yaw), but another poster said the values only effect the speed at which the on-board computer makes corrections (like for wind). Anyone know? I would like to get a somewhat slower steady yaw without modifying the controller.

Fritz said:
Does anyone understand the functioning of the yaw values in the Phantom Assistant. I read one post that said lowering the value would make the stick less responsive (better for slow yaw), but another poster said the values only effect the speed at which the on-board computer makes corrections (like for wind). Anyone know? I would like to get a somewhat slower steady yaw without modifying the controller.

+1

Fritz said:

I tried that first and lowering the numbers made the yaw just start wondering on it's own ( with no user input). So I can confirm it effects how the "computer" makes corrections..
I agree, I would be willing to bet that everyone would like to see a slower yaw for camera work. I bet if enough people asked for it, it would be in the next build.

Fritz said:

Personally, I think this is a dangerous game. Being able to maneuver on a dime is important when you get into a hairy situation. I started to chew up some leaves today, and had I not had full speed yaw, I probably would have lost her. This mod is great because it allows you to turn it on and off at the flip of a switch.

sidebox said:
Fritz said:

Personally, I think this is a dangerous game. Being able to maneuver on a dime is important when you get into a hairy situation. I started to chew up some leaves today, and had I not had full speed yaw, I probably would have lost her. This mod is great because it allows you to turn it on and off at the flip of a switch.

i'm not understanding how losing yaw speed prevents direction change?? the right stick can send the quad any direction regardless of orientation. unless you fly it like a plane that can only go forward??

locoworks said:
sidebox said:
Fritz said:

i'm not understanding how losing yaw speed prevents direction change?? the right stick can send the quad any direction regardless of orientation. unless you fly it like a plane that can only go forward??

Touché :D

I'm not saying that it is the only way to recover in a jam. I'd just rather not sacrifice yaw speed permanently, as it can and will make evasive maneuvers more difficult. Let's say you get disoriented and need to very quickly figure out which way is "forward" or "back". A faster spin can and will save you time in determining this. Why semi-permanently gimp your yaw when you can flip a switch and control this on the fly?

sidebox said:
I'm not saying that it is the only way to recover in a jam. I'd just rather not sacrifice yaw speed permanently, as it can and will make evasive maneuvers more difficult. Let's say you get disoriented and need to very quickly figure out which way is "forward" or "back". A faster spin can and will save you time in determining this. Why semi-permanently gimp your yaw when you can flip a switch and control this on the fly?

That is a good point

I never use yaw for control, but I am starting to fly in FPV more and more....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.