Video of Phantom 3 video feed lagging 7+ seconds and crashing iPhone 6

Reaction score
Take a look at the video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Needless to say, flying with so much video feed lag is very, very dangerous. Also, after the latest firmware update I haven't been able to get any flight without crashing my iPhone.

I tried with another iPhone 6 and the same thing happens.

I tried everything the DJI post said, at the same time, but the issue still remains.
  • I quit all applications before opening DJI Pilot app
  • Airplane mode on
  • No sunlight on the iPhone (flying indoors and it's winter here)
  • Hardware decode is ON in the DJI Pilot app
  • Transmission quality is set to the lowest setting possible
  • Flight route is turned off
My Phantom 3 Advanced is now an expensive pile of worthless gear.

Contacted support and waiting for DJI to tell me what they'll do for me.

I get what you have occuring if im trying system out indoors in my wifi heavy home infront of my pc and tv etc it does very much the same and locks freezes etc i expect that
When i take the bird outdoors it doesnt happen at all.Sorry cant be anymore help really do hope u get sorted soon maybe its some bug in the app causing this solid freezing with some

It occurs outdoors or indoors.

I'm posting this video because I think this is a really, really nasty bug that should get even Apple concerned, not just DJI. Let me explain.

Apps in iOS are "sandboxed", which means that they shouldn't be able to crash one another, let alone freeze the entire device.

But that's not all; you see, half of my freezes are followed by the apple logo screen, so it was a freeze + restart. But half of them are just nasty freezes, where the iPhone simply doesn't reboot.

I wonder how many people know how to reboot an iPhone, since it's not trivial (holding the power button does nothing).

well you have to update your controller or make sure you've done it in my opinion or i agree with danjordrone point

All i can say is i use the exact same device running 8.4 now and its fine as were previous 8.3 and 8.1 maybe someone with greater experience can help

i suggest to replace the Iphone with another tablet or platform and try with it, might be an iphone issue not necessarily from the Drone itself, i have seen such issues with inspire's 1 earlier these months, freezing iphone's and video feed, there is a lot of issues that can have such impact such as distance between controller and drone, its recommended to test the video link at distance first, try to record and test your video feed as-well, antenna direction also might affect video input quality... im feeling you and trying to help you out get your bird up asap.... so far id say try another phone tablet and let us know the results

We are running the same setup but I'm setup with.
Wifi off
Background app refresh off ( on iPhone)
Hardware decode off( not needed on 6)
Close all apps running
Case off iPhone 6 (keep cool)
Antennas vertical and parallel of each othe and tilted back 45°
Short iPhone cable
Fly in airplane mode on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try that before you spend money. And power cycle ur phone. My iPhone 6 is flawless up to my best distance of 1 mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was flawless while it was on 1.1.9. Did tens of flights without any issue whatsoever. The problems started when I updated to 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 made it even worse.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Next week I will have access to an Android tablet to run some tests.

I have tried with my father's iPhone 6 and the issue happens exactly the same way, so it's not a faulty iPhone. Also, everytime the crash happens I have to power cycle the iPhone, so it's not that.

I will give the android device a try and report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic