Video of my phantom being run over by a semi truck!

Reaction score
While flying my phantom vision 2 drone on my family farm, it lost connection to the remote control.

I went to find the drone, forgetting that it was designed to return to it's 'home' location.

A few minutes later, the drone was ALMOST run over by a tractor, then it was ACTUALLY run over my a semi truck!

Thankfully, it looks like I'll only have to replace about $50 in parts due to my own stupidity!

Anyway, enjoy the video in all of its destructive glory!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8S1gTgm1b0[/youtube]

Here's a picture after the accident.

Here's a picture of the 3 parts that I need to replace (other than the rotors)

Here's a picture of the repair process.

Still waiting on parts... we'll see if it flys and everything works when these are replaced... *fingers crossed!

No damage to the motors, camera, or main body section that I can see. Just a broken leg, broken rotors, and the camera mount + video cable.

Attachments

• IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 613
I'm guessing the camera fell off the copter and was the only part run over...otherwise that phantom would be smithereens!

DocMonkey said:
I'm guessing the camera fell off the copter and was the only part run over...otherwise that phantom would be smithereens!

No - that's not the case. I have video of the drone landing smoothly and normally.

The drone was 100% in-tact when the semi hit it.

My guess is that the semi tire hit one of the propeller arms first, at an angle which caused the majority of the drone to be flung sideways, avoiding the majority of the impact.

I take off from deserted roads as well, because they're usually the most level surface around. I never use FS or allow RTH to land though, so never really considered this a risk. Maybe I'll stay on the shoulder from now on.

Thanks for posting the video. Sounds like your good luck narrowly outweighed your bad luck that day.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub