Video of my P4P over 60 mph in Sport Mode

Reaction score
Is my bird really flying as fast as the screen says it is? Or is there maybe a bug that's showing the speed in kph but labeling it as mph? It sure felt like it was flying fast, but how could it be so much faster than the specifications? Tomorrow I'll do a long straight run and compare time vs distance traveled.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: slothead
how could it be so much faster than the specifications?
If it's windy and you're flying in the direction the wind is blowing, you could easily surpass the specs.

Yea mine went over 60mph with the wind the other day. This is totally believable and normal IMO.

Lots of us are seeing our screens report kph, and but labeled mph. This is a recognized bug. The drone would only reach the speed you mentioned if it were going downwind in a 20 mph wind.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Bigbells
Lots of us are seeing our screens report kph, and but labeled mph. This is a recognized bug. The drone would only reach the speed you mentioned if it were going downwind in a 20 mph wind.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app
That would match my suspicions. I hadn't read where anyone else had mentioned there was a bug, or where anyone had reported such high mph figures, but I didn't take the time to do a long search for such reports. In my video it can be seen that I reach 60 mph or more headed north, headed east, headed south and headed west, so I knew it wasn't caused by the mild breeze blowing toward the east.

In the few parts of the video where I was able to compute actual mph using feet per second, the figures were in line with kph rather than mph. Tomorrow, though, I'll do a more thorough test, making sure that I fly in straight lines which pass directly over me or which start directly overhead.

You can also look at your flight record (the .csv file in Healthy Drones) for the actual speeds.

I experienced the same thing today with my P4P. It said I was consistently hitting 72 MPH in Sport mode, in absolutely no wind. If the units of measurement are wrong, if you convert 72 KPH to MPH, sure enough it's 45 MPH, which is the listed top speed. The flight log also shows max speed as being 72.3 MPH (see attached photo).

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 310
I experienced the same thing today with my P4P. It said I was consistently hitting 72 MPH in Sport mode, in absolutely no wind. If the units of measurement are wrong, if you convert 72 KPH to MPH, sure enough it's 45 MPH, which is the listed top speed. The flight log also shows max speed as being 72.3 MPH (see attached photo).
Here's video of a straight-line flight with the P4P. The Horizontal speed is shown as being from 68.0 to 72.7 mph. We know that's wrong, and here's proof.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
how do you get these recordings of your screen during flight?
AZ Screen Recorder is what I use too, Jim. It's free, it works well, it has no time limits on recording and adds no watermarks. There are less capable screen recording apps that aren't free. As G Lee said, it's for Android only.

I always wondered how people got those recordings of their flight apps, until a couple weeks ago when I read a post in this forum about AZ Screen Recorder.

For IOS, I dunno.

Speeds way in excess of 45 mph in sport mode are incorrectly reported as mph, when they are actually kph. This is a known bug. I sometimes see actual mph when I use 2.4 GHz instead of 5.8. Look at your raw data in Healthy Drones, and you'll see the max speed in actual MPH. 72.7 kph equals 45.2 MPH, just as it should. You may notice that your top speed (on the display) in P mode can be as high as 45 MPH - these are also kph actually.

The title is a bit misleading. This is video FROM the P4, not OF the P4. I was hoping to see it whipping past the camera as the poor cameraman ducked.

The title is a bit misleading. This is video FROM the P4, not OF the P4. I was hoping to see it whipping past the camera as the poor cameraman ducked.
My apologies, Pharm. I absolutely despise deliberately misleading titles and I tried to edit mine after seeing your legitimate critique, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to do so. Sorry about that!

My apologies, Pharm. I absolutely despise deliberately misleading titles and I tried to edit mine after seeing your legitimate critique, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to do so. Sorry about that!
No problem. Just slip me a check under the table and I'll forget the whole thing. The Grammar Police need not ever catch wind of it. ;)

Reactions: Bigbells
Go look at the .csv of the flight, or just the Healthy Drones "General" screen. It'll display your actual ground speed.

Your video feed seems to be breaking up badly and you're only like 400 feet out... Whats up with that? My signal looks way better than that. Did you have an unobstructed "line of sight" between the drone and the controller?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic