Video of my close call today

Very nice recovery, we'll put it down to pure pilot skill! :)
Well done! Hope you changed your underwear

Wow, that was even closer then one I had. Just think if you would have had to go up in a tree to get your quad back. Lucky. You better go buy a lottery ticket!

That happened about 200' from me. I just made a run 3400' away. Sometimes, I just shake my head at radio waves.

I took off from our deck which is about 15' off the ground. We can see that 60' wasn't quite enough on RTH. I wish it was more like 90'. Regardless, my eye's were wide open and I was jumping in the air holding the throttle up and flipping the switch to release RTH.

All the more reason a friend of mine keeps telling me, "Altitude is your best friend!" This is sheer proof of that statement. Good save!

was your technique to continue flipping S1 back and forth between GPS and ATTI? or did you just leave it in ATTI with throttle up until it responded?

Yes, that was my technique, flipping the S1 switch and of course jumping up in the air with the remote as high as I could get it. :shock:

smokiespliff said:
just a thought - is there any reason why they couldn't set the RTH altitude higher, like 50m or something?
I agree, 20m is to low. 50m would clear trees. You should have the option to change it.

Double-D said:
smokiespliff said:
just a thought - is there any reason why they couldn't set the RTH altitude higher, like 50m or something?
I agree, 20m is to low. 50m would clear trees. You should have the option to change it.
Or while in control you can just keep your bird higher than the highest tree. If the tallest tree is 100 feet, fly no less than 125 feet. If you RTH, the bird will stay at 125 feet during the RTH and clear all trees on the way home.

Walter said:
That happened about 200' from me. I just made a run 3400' away. Sometimes, I just shake my head at radio waves.

I took off from our deck which is about 15' off the ground. We can see that 60' wasn't quite enough on RTH. I wish it was more like 90'. Regardless, my eye's were wide open and I was jumping in the air holding the throttle up and flipping the switch to release RTH.

Next time you put it in the air, climb above the highest obstacle around you (trees or poles etc) and reset the homepoint at that altitude. Then if RTH is activated for any reason, it will fly home at or above that altitude. Vióla!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic