Video mode selection in PAL countries

Reaction score
A bit of help here would be much appreciated. I live in the UK (PAL) and edit in post using Final Cut Pro X mainly for replaying on a computer or uploading to Youtube/Vimeo. Apart from the Go App setting for 4K 4096x2160 @25fps (PAL), I have noticed that the lower resolution setting for 4K (3840x2160) has a higher option for NTSC of 30 fps and in 1080p, it's 60 fps for NTSC.

My dilemma is what to do to get the best result as I am not making videos for transmission/broadcasting (I wish...lol!)

Go with whichever looks best to you.
The PAL NTSC thing is not going to affect much other than the frame rate.
Unless you record at night under lights,then you will see strobing of the lights if you use NTSC in PAL land where electricity opperates at 50 Hertz,and the same if you use PAL in NTSC land where electricity opperates at 60 Hertz.And then only if the lights are AC powered.
50 frames per second is like 50 hertz,on/off 50 times per second.
60 frames per second is like 60 hertz,on/off 60 times per second.
Most TV's and monitors will automatically switch between the two formats seemlesly these days.
Just be sure to edit in the correct settings for each or you may run into problems.As in don't edit 50fps footage in a 60fps template.
Also higher frame rates will look better when the camera is mounted on a fast moving platform,like when mounted on a quadcopter.
The other thing to considder is that lower frame rates are better in low light situations.

I'm in Aus so our standard is PAL and our electricity is 50Hz.
I ignore all that and use NTSC for additional 10 frames a second (I use 60fps) and ease of editing as most default to NTSC 29.97fps/60fps. I ignore the PAL settings because I rarely film at night and I know LCDs/Plasmas these days have super high refresh rates that don't show flicker anymore.

I'm also in UK, I have tested all the PAL settings and for me the 1080p @ 50fps is the best. I use a ND filter, manual camera, ISO 100, shutter 100. No stutter on on motion playback and great picture quality. I recently started using the log colour setting and colour grading in post. Hope this is useful for you.

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
Hi great video [emoji106][emoji4] is the editing program your useing all one prog or is it a mix ... and while i'm here , spotted the Mac but cld you please give me some details on macs spec , ie caperble of editting 4k ... agian great video and can tell how much you enjoy it , comes across really well ... [emoji111][emoji106][emoji4]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj