Video interference again

Reaction score
I've just been running through the first videos from my P2V+ and they have very bad horizontal interference.

I've read through previous threads relating to this problem stating that the cause is prop reflection when turned towards the sun.

This video clip shows a particularly bad case and, assuming the interference is caused as suggested, can someone explain to me what causes the red interference in the bottom right of the frame please?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wow that red reflection almost looks like it's from one of the arms. That is really weird. I have never seen anything like that. Maybe try a sun shade around the lens? As an experiment you can get some black electrical tape and wrap it around the lens so it hangs off about 1/2" or so, maybe a little less. If it works there are people selling 3d printed sunshades on ebay. I think.
The lines or waves - I think this is more than prop reflection. I think you should re-seat the connectors going to the camera. Unplug them and plug them back in. It might help.

wow that red reflection almost looks like it's from one of the arms. That is really weird. I have never seen anything like that. Maybe try a sun shade around the lens? As an experiment you can get some black electrical tape and wrap it around the lens so it hangs off about 1/2" or so, maybe a little less. If it works there are people selling 3d printed sunshades on ebay. I think.
The lines or waves - I think this is more than prop reflection. I think you should re-seat the connectors going to the camera. Unplug them and plug them back in. It might help.

Thanks stag. I'll give that a try.

I think you said it. The red is a reflection probably from the forward led's reflecting off the lense base. Try a sun shield and see if it fixes all your issues. Or do as I do fly early or late when you have to best lighting. Pro photographers had to shoot in direct sunlight. Thought to get the even lighting and reduce reflections and shadows. Compare your videos from an overcast day. Much more details and even lighting. Much better video's!

I've seen the horizontal lines in my videos a couple times. Would love a further explanation to help confirm exactly what it is...

If you are flying on a bright sunny day and are shooting video and turn where the sun is overhea and I front of you the props turning provide a shadow effect as the blades spin giving you the lines in the video. To prevent them you need eith a sun shield or to fly when it's overcast or in the evening or morning when the sun is lower. There are video on you tube showing the effect and cure. Search on Phantom video horizontal lines or sun shield.

@RoyVa, thanks. One of the extra goodies that came with my Phantom (bought on eBay) was a 3D printed lens shade. Never tried it but now I will on sunny days! I must admit, I never noticed the lines until after I introduced my bird to a tree at a high velocity lol :eek: there was no sign of damage but after seeing those lines I wondered if I damaged the camera. Glad to be in the know now!

When I searched per your suggestion, I saw a few threads where people were a bit incredulous that the problem could be from shade from the props. I totally get that, as a first guess would be some electrical/signal problem. Glad I know now!

To verify that this is the problem fly early or late when sun is down low and see if the problem has gone away. Happy flying!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers