Video footage lagging on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Dear Phantom Pilotes,
i got a phantom 3 advanced for over 3 months now. It is a great drone and i am very happy about it.
However when i transfer the footage i took from my drone on my Macbook pro and i view them in quicktime or VLC the video is very laggy. (Almost unwatchable)

Here are a couple of details of my Macbook Pro:
Processor: 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Samsung SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

What i dont understand is when i transfer the same footage to my ipad Mini 2. There is no lag at all.
shouldn't a Macbook Pro be more powerful than a ipad ? So why is it having problems reading it on my Macbook and not on my ipad.
i'm confused.

Thanks in advance for your helps
Dimitri

Likely the iPad is downsizing the video so it can deal with it. VLC is trying to show the full rez and Core Duo (an older processor with a crappy GPU) can't keep up.

If you are just shooting 1080P I would think even a Core Duo could keep up though. VLC has lots of controls - you can try showing half or quarter screen which should help.

I use MPlayerX on my iMac and MacBook. It seems to have less lag than Quicktime.
I also tried VLC and while useful for some things, I found it not as usable either.

Yeah that MacBook is too slow to play 4k. It plays 1080p ok
OP has an Advanced, so it might be 2.7K but not 4K. I tried the MPlayerX on an old i7 17inch MBP which has 'issues' with 4K and it managed 4K much better than VLC or Quicktime (thanks DroneTone). So that might be a route to try.

He has the 2011 mac pro. It will only play 1080p. I have the same laptop with an ssd. It lags on both 4k and 2.7k while using vlc. I expected more out of it also.

My Macbook pro is a mid 2009.
I tried some 720p footage. It's better but still laggy. Tried MPlayerX and it did not change a thing.

I'm on a 2013 MBP and can do 4K viewing and editing, but it's a quad processor and retina and twini Intel/Nvidia for video work.. by the same token I have a 2010 Mac Pro 8 core loaded with memory, SSDs, etc and the video card just can't keep up.. :-( So more a video processor issue vs. CPU, but Core 2 Duo is older. May be time for an upgrade if you can and want to process 4K.. Refurb prices on Apple are good (and you can get full Apple Care) .. there's also the used market..

There are lots of mac books lol the 2013 releases work fine where 2011 and 2009 do not even play 4k video.

AAMOI, what shutter speed have you set? Out of the box, mine was on 60 FPS and there was no way my old desktop was ever going to play. Reset to 25 FPS and no jerking or lag.

AAMOI, what shutter speed have you set? Out of the box, mine was on 60 FPS and there was no way my old desktop was ever going to play. Reset to 25 FPS and no jerking or lag.

Yeah mine's also on 60fps. I will try 24fps next time to see if it lags or not.

I still have 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini from 2009.

I must let Final Cut Pro optimize 4K media from P3P to ProRes422, then it plays smoothly on that old PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.