Video "Flashes"

Reaction score
Hi All- First post here. I got my V+ the other day and finally took it out this weekend.

I noticed in the video there are times when it looks like the iris "flashes"... gets brighter then darker right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnbgwN ... e=youtu.be

See the video... You can see it happening pretty good at :18, :40, and 1:07.

Any idea what could cause that? That's not the aircraft lights blinking, right?

Settings are:
1080p 30
ISO: Auto
Anti-Flicker: Auto
Exposure Metering: Center
Exposure Compensation: 0

looks very abnormal to me...

can you return and get a new one? send this video to the company you purchased from and see what they say, I don't have a vision plus but friends do and that is not normal....

aekdbkf2006 said:
Hi All- First post here. I got my V+ the other day and finally took it out this weekend.

I noticed in the video there are times when it looks like the iris "flashes"... gets brighter then darker right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnbgwN ... e=youtu.be

See the video... You can see it happening pretty good at :18, :40, and 1:07.

Any idea what could cause that? That's not the aircraft lights blinking, right?

Settings are:
1080p 30
ISO: Auto
Anti-Flicker: Auto
Exposure Metering: Center
Exposure Compensation: 0

Change AUTO values to a defined one according to light conditions. Ie. ISO 200 and test.

Thanks for the replies.

I know, I probably should have tested it under different ISO settings before posting. I will test something different than Auto tomorrow to see if the problem persists.

Do you think it may have anything to do with the Exposure Metering or Exposure Compensation?

Is there a camera "reset" to see if that helps?

Thanks

aekdbkf2006 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I know, I probably should have tested it under different ISO settings before posting. I will test something different than Auto tomorrow to see if the problem persists.

Do you think it may have anything to do with the Exposure Metering or Exposure Compensation?

Is there a camera "reset" to see if that helps?

Thanks

Exposure is a probable cause. And yes there is a RESET settings function in camera settings for default values.

Good tips related here: https://vimeo.com/104192378
[vimeo]104192378[/vimeo]

Mine as well. Mine usually one will do it about 10-15 seconds in and then that's it. Just once but annoying

Interesting to hear others have the problem. Perhaps it's an issue with the v3.0 (I have the v3.0, too)

I will try tomorrow to take it out for additional testing... changing auto ISO to something else, then playing with the Exposure settings also.

Sounds more like a software issue, than a hardware issue. Something like the lighting conditions change and the camera is trying to compensate (maybe going from ISO 200 to 400, and it can't figure out which one to stay on)

Please post back if you have any updates, and I will do the same.

-Kevin

same issue here, will try to manually adjust camera settings and see where it goes. Have a vision + v3.0.

I just flew my Plus today for first time since upgrade the camera firmware about a month ago. It is doing same thing, constantly attempts to find "correct" setting.
I do not remember it acting like that prior to that update. Since it was put out at same time as 3.10 firmware. Maybe there is some connection.
I guess my update to 3.12 will be sooner than later to see if this has any effect.

Looks to me like the flashes only take place when the Vision is pointing in the one direction. I would conclude therefore that it is pointing into the sun, and that the 'flashes' are as a result of the props shadow affecting the individual images. It can manifest itself as different things, but a petal lens cover might be a cure. Some people use a small piece of electrical tape over the top of the lens to stop this. Easy, quick and cheap fix.

Thanks for that. I was wondering if some kind of sun shade on lens would help. It makes sense as my old Vivitar has a nice shade around lens.

It was sunny and with some clouds and it does seem directional. Happens towards sun more vs away.

I will rig up some tape later and try.

Tried to get 3.12 last night but my plus says no updates and currently running 3.08.

I've taken my PV2+ up for a couple of flights since upgrading...and am getting the same "iris flashes," no matter what settings I use...exposure compensation, iso setting...and the direction in which the craft is pointing doesn't make a difference. It's very frustrating, indeed.

kirk2579 said:
Thanks for that. I was wondering if some kind of sun shade on lens would help. It makes sense as my old Vivitar has a nice shade around lens.

Tried to get 3.12 last night but my plus says no updates and currently running 3.08.

Have you downloaded the Phantom assist 3.8?
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v3.8.exe
Install then goto upgrade page and see if 3.12 is available..

And regards to settings...
Try manual settings it to stop the purple/yellow flashes.
ISO 100
Meter Average
Cloud white balance
Exposure -0.3
And use a petal hood or make a custom ND filter.

skyelf said:
I've taken my PV2+ up for a couple of flights since upgrading...and am getting the same "iris flashes," no matter what settings I use...exposure compensation, iso setting...and the direction in which the craft is pointing doesn't make a difference. It's very frustrating, indeed.

They have always been prone to do it especially in very bright conditions.
A common scenario to see it is over bright water, sand or snow which is a challenging situation for auto exposure in any camera.
You can try looking at the exposure metering settings.
It would seem logical that a whole frame average would be more stable than using the center spot.
You can stop recording and change in flight if you see it doing it on the app.

It is just the camera stepping through various ISO settings due to the variable image brightness. Notice when you come up to the dark structure and it fills the frame the brightness steps up? Then once you fly past and you have lots of bright sky & snow it steps back down? With so much contrast between bright snow & darker ground objects the auto setting is bouncing around trying to determine a proper ISO. You'll notice the same issue if you fly over water with lots of bright sun reflection. Just pick a manual ISO setting like 100 or 200. The higher you go the quicker you will obtain exposure, but the grainier the image.

hey Dirty Bird - I always use manual ISO settings, EV -.3 or -.7, depending upon conditions, and still get the continuous ISO changes. So hard to see, in a little smartphone screen even when using a hood, when the lighting is changing like that!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic